advertisement

IMF Professional Monitor IV

It's been so long.....

Definitely 70's for Pro Monitor III's and sadly you have a pair that haven't aged too well. I hope you can get the super-tweeters sorted (are they Celestion HF2000's? - can't remember).

The mid control on the back could go horrible and should be cleaned and/or replaced and set to maximum. The wires should be replaced by good 50 strand automotive wiring IMO. There's no point in boutique cables as these will further beggar-up the sound - IMO.....

The only other thing you could take advice on is bass damping, which was substantially increased on the RSPM IV as I remember (I compared both side by side). This was mostly done by revising the line damping and, IIRC, the crossover on the IV had optional low bass filtering.

DSJR:

i've just noticed a slip of your pen, i think.

i seem to recall listening to big IMF's in the mid-60's, whereas you refer to mid-70's.

is it not mid-60's to early 80's for IMF big speakers?

skyebridge

I knew of IMF since the very early 70's. The mkIV appeared in 1976 as I remember, although it could have been the year before.

It's been so long.....

Definitely 70's for Pro Monitor III's and sadly you have a pair that haven't aged too well. I hope you can get the super-tweeters sorted (are they Celestion HF2000's? - can't remember).

The mid control on the back could go horrible and should be cleaned and/or replaced and set to maximum. The wires should be replaced by good 50 strand automotive wiring IMO. There's no point in boutique cables as these will further beggar-up the sound - IMO.....

The only other thing you could take advice on is bass damping, which was substantially increased on the RSPM IV as I remember (I compared both side by side). This was mostly done by revising the line damping and, IIRC, the crossover on the IV had optional low bass filtering.

The super tweeters are dated 1984 so maybe they've been replaced at some time?

here's one of the bass units

And the repaired crossovers

I'm still wondering if I can replace the two tweeters for one unit. Any ideas on that?

Well - its been a while since i've managed any work on them - too many things have got in the way..
Pulse Studio If the offer of the crossover circuits is still open I'd appreciate them - I think I want to mod the crossovers for Bi-Wire - I have some circuits from the web - I'm checking if these actually match the units here. My units were minus the original stands - they had been in a church used for the electronic organ - so i have fabricated a pair..

Planning to complete these this week now..

http://www.connect-audio.co.uk/RSPMVII/RSPMVIIa.jpg

I used to own a pair of IMF TLS 80 .... best speakers I have ever owned .... was forced to sell all my hifi kit, due to being retrenched a few years ago

will be getting a pair this coming year ... have been watching ebay daily .... prices have risen considerably, and was a pair recently advertised for £1300

currently using old B&W DM2 (the 1st model) .... good for the money if partnered with an amp with a bit of 'grunt', but not half as good as the IMF

Yes I saw those on eBay, ridiculously overpriced imo.

My Pro Monoitor IIIs are up and running with Coles super tweeters instead of the Celestion units which I just couldn't get hold of. They look nicer with the Coles units anyway and they sound very good.

I'm part way through building a pair of hard wired crossovers and I think I'll veneer the front baffle or something after Christmas.

If anyone has a PCB layout for the crossover it would be very helpful - the crossover we have here is different to the ccts found so far on the web.. they are RSPMVII

Hi,to day i got hold of the famous mk iv speaker,christmas gift from the wife.
i receive the speaker in a bad state,two tweeter,one super tweeter open,the cabinet suffer also from bad treatment,have not check the cross over yer but
tomorrow i will work on it.
i got two option,repair the cross over and replace tweeter,don`t think to have original one..
or go active,i got a bdx cross over,my amp are hk citation 16,and a digital amp 4x100w,pre are carver c4000,pass b1,ad815 diy will see what work best.
has any one gone active?
any help
hope to join the happy listener group soon
blessing
Abes

hi,thanks
Jerry from falconacoustic is helping me to restore the speakers,he is the guy who knows everything about IMF speakers.
i have fire the speakers and the sound is very good.
i don`t know why anybody has not taken over to continue the construction of those speakers,
i have never heard such bass,no need sub
such musicality
after waiting 30years i think it`s worth the waiting
merry christmas and happy new year to all
good listening with IMF.
ABES

Thanks Abes.

I've tidied up the fronts of my PM IIIs. The ports look much better in black instead of that awful green colour. The dog has stopped hiding under the table now LOL.

I've had a pair of RSPM IVs since the beginning of May. They're wonderful. I paid $400 (US); everything works, but one of the cabinets has some scratches on the top. I'm a cranky old divorced person; I don't mind. Next thing in the queue is to get a proper muscle amp; and it's got to be cheap -- less than $500 US. Aside from the Crown DC series, how are the later Crown amps? The Urei/JBL 6260 was recommended on another forum - any comments? How about stuff from BGW, QSC, Ashly? I'll be using an Audio Research SP14 as the preamp, once I get that sorted.

I have a set of TLS80's and a set of TLS80II's I was driving them with a McIntosh MC2500 Power amp but it was a bit much for them and blew the capacitors a few times, so now I am using a McIntosh MA6500 amp which seems more suited. I have had these since the 70's and run them stacked with the II's on top, I think the McIntosh amps really work well with the IMF speakers, it sounds like your right "there" I have the new Cap kits from Falcon and will put them in soon I hear this make a huge improvement. I have reviewed other speakers over the years and for me there is nothing better.

I replaced the Caps on the crossover of my mk.iv a couple of years ago - or rather Jerry did! Anyway, it was well worth it. It made a significant difference for the better.

Great speakers. I've had many speakers and the only ones I've preferred over the years are Spendor S100. Why, of why did I sell them:-(

DSJR, Can you please provide any detail on the model simply called IMF "Reference Standard" (1974), as written in the quote, which preceded the RSPM at some point ?
Any fotos, diagrams, specs, data, brochures, anything at all you can remember or please provide ? Also, do you recall if it had beige (light tan) cloth grill covers or usual-IMF black cloth grill covers ?

I heard this speaker in 1974 and have since searched for it unsuccessfully, but ended up getting RSPM IV. I have a brochure showing the model simply badged as IMF Reference Standard only, with foto on front side and specs/data on other side, but misplaced the brochure. Robin Marshall may be the only other person that may know of these since he owned them.
Any help greatly appreciated - Thank You !

I'm sure the very first mkIV's had a black sprayed chipboard (?) front as I recall. The first thing we did was to remove the grilles to take a look. Later ones had the woodgrain look.

(Some of) The previous "top" models were the Domestic Monitor (early seventies I think), the Professional Monitor (I came into things at about mk3 in 1974) and the Reference Standard, which I believe was slightly bigger and with a slightly more damped line IIRC. The mkIV came along in 1976 during that very long hot summer we had. Our new manager in Watford was trying to do a cost per square foot of floor space and wanted the big IMF's out, as we didn't sell enough to justify their presence at this time (post 25% VAT and the first of many slumps in the audio market from which we never really recovered apart from a few golden years for Linn/Naim dealers in the early to mid eighties). Our "old" expert manager (something of a legend to those that know him - take a bow Jim D) had de-camped to the new West One branch and I followed in 1977 after many part time stints there...

At KJ Wigmore St we had some Pro Monitor III "improved" samples to sell through in around 1981 (after we had made our very first "single speaker dem room") and these boomed uncontrollably with the bolt up Naim 250, which despite its other endearing qualities (it's one of my favourite amps of all) just didn't have the control for them. Crown had gone the way of all those old American "pro" amps and the bigger "D" series replacements seemed to have a "fingers down a blackboard" quality with the new generation of speakers coming through.

At that time, we put all our attention into 'Briks and in the bass, with a bolt up 250 driving them, the 'Brik was in a different league where most domestic environments were concerned, although the passive "DMS" 'Brik midband was more coloured and "tubey" sounding

When I first met Robin (Epos) Marshall in '74, he was using Ref: Standards at home (bit of useless info for you).

As I've said before, the older IMF's pre mkIV had a very underdamped bass, which put huge demands on the damping control of the partnering amp. They could take off below 80Hz or so and reached well below 20Hz too (door rattles at steady state 14Hz I remember) - Dark Side Of The Moon off acetate to Dolby A tape has NEVER sounded better IMO... This is why I've w@nked on about the mid-seventies Crown/Amcron "D" series of amps, as a D150A was one of the very few amps that could drive them properly in a close to wall domestic environment, unless you had a huge room and could pull them well out from walls.

Most IMF's as I remember were an easy impedance load otherwise (8 - 10 Ohm on average), with no nasty lumps and bumps to upset early seventies amps. I chucked out my old, loft damaged HiFi Sound mags from the late sixties/early seventies, but if you can look some of these out, you'll see some very fair reviews with extensive technical measurements taken at "Hirst laboratories."

Sorry if I'm ignoring the TLS50 and 80 models, let alone the ALS40's and Compact series. They were all like smaller versions of the above models and IMF should be applauded for keeping the overall character similar from model to model...

We have recently uncovered what the IMF "Reference Standard" Model is as simply badged that. It was an in-between model, with the Professional Monitor III before it, and the RSPM MK IV after it.

Fotos are up on AudioKarma "IMF Owners Thread" (June 2015) showing the model with front badge saying "IMF Reference Standard".

We think this model is exactly the same as the PM III, however, it is possible some "Reference Standard" models dropped the internal fiberglass-honeycomb system in favour of foam inside instead, as is found in the next suceeding model. This is postulated & recalled by a member. The fotos show the RS with origin to an owner whose model had the fiberglass-honeycomb internal network just like PM III.

What's not clear is if this model simply badged as "R...S..." is just a transitional badge-only label without any fabricated changes, or if the foam indeed was in some production serial #'s.

The nomenclature in naming progression makes sense as if IMF wanted a smooth carry over from the Professional Monitor III to the next interim model Reference Standard to then next new development Reference Standard Professional Monitor IV, which combined the names of both previous models into RSPM.

advertisement

Back