advertisement

IMF Loudspeakers

retrospective

pfm Member
I happened upon a pair today that may come up for sale soon,i'm interested in their qualities and anything to look out for? the model's AlS-30 on short stands.

Never heard the smaller ones, but the bigger ones such as the TLS80, Professional Monitor etc are very good indeed IMO. Rather a sleeper in today’s market, they should be worth a lot more!

The ALS30 and ALS40 are a pseudo-TL design that IMF called "Active Line", hence the ALS name. The TLS50 is the smallest enclosure that can properly accommodate TL-loading. In the ALS30 and ALS40, dual low frequency units are employed and the transmission line is internal and does not terminate into the room via a vent. More info here:

http://www.imf-electronics.com/Home/imf/speaker-range/studios#TOC-The-ALS30

"The ALS 30 is our smallest Active Line speaker incorporating two dissimilar six-inch bass units. It's mid-range driver and dome tweeter are identical to those in the ALS 40."

I have a pair of ALS40 mk2a and rate them very highly indeed. A very clean, transparent, detailed and spacious presentation with a depth of image far exceeding what their size suggests. I'm unable to use them at present as the mid units need refoaming (their surrounds are cracked) and I'm not brave enough for this to be my first refoaming job!

I bought them first impressions are very good despite the foams being shot..i've ordered some so we'll see how we go,on the face of it it looks a quite straightforward job

I bought them first impressions are very good despite the foams being shot..i've ordered some so we'll see how we go,on the face of it it looks a quite straightforward job
Let me know how you get on with removing the old surround from the edge of the cone, they're pretty well attached on mine so I could do with some advice!

I had a pair of ALS40s which IMF upgraded to mk2 spec when the mid range unit on one of them failed.

Sold them on in the mid 1980s and wish I hadn't. Excellent speakers.

The biggest challenge is going to be the missus..she came in from work and didn't say anything for a couple of hours so i asked what she thought she looked at them and stated 'Hate them,too big!'

The biggest challenge is going to be the missus..she came in from work and didn't say anything for a couple of hours so i asked what she thought she looked at them and stated 'Hate them,too big!'
Simple solution: show her photos of the RSPM and tell her how lucky she is to be sharing the house with ALS30's and not the alternative! :D

They're still here

I've got my head around the refoam though i'm struggling to find a suitable replacement for the surround (foam rubber) it measures 4" outer diameter,3mm width, 5mm depth
any suggestions would be very welcome!

Once i can source a couple of those it should be quite straightforward..lol

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I can vouch for Good HiFi linked to above.

I ordered a pair of surrounds for some Acoustic Energy AE1s some years ago when I noiced the originals were deteriorating but didn't get round to fitting them for over 3 years! When I tried to fit the replacements they looked the wrong size so I emailed the suppliers (Good HiFi) asking it they could be incorrect. Once I'd supplied the dimensions I got a reply saying I'd got AE109 size surrounds, had I ordered correctly?
Since I'd changed computer by then and lost my old emails I couldn't check and said I'd have to order a new pair. I got a prompt reply saying he'd check his archives when he got into the office on Monday (all the above happened over the weekend).
First thing Monday I received an email saying his archives showed I had indeed ordered AE1 items and it was his mistake and a pair of the correct ones would be in the post that day. They arrived from Holland a couple of days later.

Superb service!

When I asked Rob Holt about the best foam surrounds for AR woofers he recommended AudioFriends in Holland.

When I asked Rob Holt about the best foam surrounds for AR woofers he recommended AudioFriends in Holland.
Second that - have dealt with Fred Buist numerous times and what has turned up has always been the business. The glue he supplies is good, too.

I can vouch for Good HiFi linked to above.

I ordered a pair of surrounds for some Acoustic Energy AE1s some years ago when I noiced the originals were deteriorating but didn't get round to fitting them for over 3 years! When I tried to fit the replacements they looked the wrong size so I emailed the suppliers (Good HiFi) asking it they could be incorrect. Once I'd supplied the dimensions I got a reply saying I'd got AE109 size surrounds, had I ordered correctly?
Since I'd changed computer by then and lost my old emails I couldn't check and said I'd have to order a new pair. I got a prompt reply saying he'd check his archives when he got into the office on Monday (all the above happened over the weekend).
First thing Monday I received an email saying his archives showed I had indeed ordered AE1 items and it was his mistake and a pair of the correct ones would be in the post that day. They arrived from Holland a couple of days later.

Superb service!
I refoamed some JBL drivers in 4410s - my first re foam a few years ago. Foams supplied by the helpful Fred Buist.
It went very well, but moving the speakers - they had no grilles - I managed to catch and damage one foam.
After a bit of swearing I went online and ordered another foam, telling him of my careless accident.
He sent another foam and insisted he would take no money for postage or goods....way beyond reasonable!

It's not the foams that i'm after it's the rubber ring that surrounds the foams.
I've actually done that bit
I don't know if that ring is functional or just cosmetic? You may wish to contact Jerry Bloomfield (Falcon) about that as he's very knowledgeable about IMFs. Even better perhaps would be Johan Nanninga, who I understand has reformed several of these mid-drivers (PM me for Johan's email).

Last edited:

advertisement

Back