advertisement

iMac DIMMS...which make?

Rockmeister

pfm Member
Currently running 8Gb in 2 'made in china' 4g DIMMS. Am going to 40G I think via adding 2x16g cards. I've read a bit and OWC seem to be fine. Anyone here have any other info? Ta.
iMac is 2017 Retina 5K 27" 3.4Ghz i5. Getting ready to process some larger camera raw files and do some intensive photoshop work so...

great, tho concerned that ^ what garyi says may be true??? I really just want a reliable good product?
Knowing nothing of makes simple advice on good makes is all i need thanks.

As long as the speed of the new ram matches what is already fitted you shouldn’t have any problems.
I don’t have any experience of Crucial products either good or bad, but garyi most certainly knows his stuff.
If I had to choose I would go for Corsair memory personally - I use it in my desktop and it performs perfectly. Quality build and fit, and the ‘Vengeance’ models come with a limited lifetime warranty. Looks like Scan have some in stock too.

I have a lot of orders for IT kit including Crucial RAM on back order, it’s a total sh1tshow at the minute, everything is pretty much in constraint.

great, tho concerned that ^ what garyi says may be true??? I really just want a reliable good product?
Knowing nothing of makes simple advice on good makes is all i need thanks.

That's why I recommended Crucial

But OWC are good also

Get either, get whichever is in stock; both are currently on Amazon Prime :)

As long as the speed of the new ram matches what is already fitted you shouldn’t have any problems.
I don’t have any experience of Crucial products either good or bad, but garyi most certainly knows his stuff.
If I had to choose I would go for Corsair memory personally - I use it in my desktop and it performs perfectly. Quality build and fit, and the ‘Vengeance’ models come with a limited lifetime warranty. Looks like Scan have some in stock too.

There is nothing particularly wrong with crucial but its just ram like every one else's ram. They were clever back in the day by allowing you to put your specific model of pc in, but they are usually the most expensive for 'generic' ram, same for their SSDs, so many cheaper options out there. To be fair touch wood I have never had a stick of ram misbehave regardless of manufacturer.

Mine was from Mr Memory and has been faultless for years and cheap. RAM failures are very rare, only seen them a couple of times at work with an estate of 2000+ machines.

Mine was from Mr Memory and has been faultless for years and cheap. RAM failures are very rare, only seen them a couple of times at work with an estate of 2000+ machines.
Mr Memory prices are hard to beat, and they promise compatibility with the computer you specify. They don't tell you what brand you'll get, though, and it probably varies based on market availability and pricing. The only problem I've had ordering from them was that they somehow replaced the delivery address with a different building in the same postcode. Twice.

advertisement

Back