advertisement

Ikea 3x4 Kallax for LP Storage?

Gerard124

pfm Member
I am looking at purchasing a 4x3 Ikea Kallax storage unit for LP storage.

Is it safe to use this particular unit 'lying' down i.e - 3 'niches' tall x 4 'niches' wide as photo below :

0611512_PE685505_S5.JPG

Yes, as long as you don't stuff each space with LPs to the max. I use a 2x4 in this way and it's fine.

I just built a few of these yesterday. The only issue I can imagine is that in this configuration the short pieces (one cube wide) run horizontally. They would be suspended by horizontal wooden pegs that pass through the longer vertical pieces. I don't think shear stress on the pegs or pressure on the holes through the vertical pieces would be a problem. But the short pieces would be hanging by the pegs and I'd be concerned the peg holes might tear open with enough weight. IKEA says 13kg per shelf is ok on the website.

I have a large 5x5 kallax with LP's, books and hifi. I modified mine by adding some ply wood backing to specific sections. All the sections were glued also and I have attached it to the wall and the floor with long screws as it's not going to be moved from its position. It is now very sturdy

https://flic.kr/p/24EQAni

I need a 2 x 3 space version as the 2 x 2 is too small and the 2 x 4 is too big i.e. too wide. Mmm, I wonder if I'll find one in a house occupied by three bears.

Why don't you get three 4 x 1 units and stack them one on top of the other? I have two arranged this way, each full of LPs. I did glue 5mm plywood to the rear of each for torsional strength - you could use a single piece for the whole stack and have even more confidence in their stability.

Alex

The Ikea instructions for the non-square Kallax (3x4, 2x4, 2x1) state that you can use them any way up with a max loading of 13 kg per shelf.
The larger ones are recommended to be attached to the wall, whichever way round.
With the square ones it shows long shelf horizontal (it's square, why not)
Some of the smaller ones can be wall mounted and mounted on wheels. But not the bigger ones.

Craig's link above is not to a Kallax, it is the discontinued Expedit, and and is a 5 x 5 one. They did have a which way round.
(Which the 5x5 and 4x4 Kallax may have also - but who cares as they are the same size so you can easily do that)

13 kg - take a typical LP to be 190g LP and sleeve - that is 68 LPs. Which was the calculation I did in my head when ordering the shelves whilst sat on a tram.

I've just measured three full bays on one of my Kallax... ...erm - which is the plural of Kallax? Anyway...

Bay 1 - 58 items, 20 kg (344g per item) - a lot of heavyweight double albums and some triples
Bay 2 - 64 items, 20 kg (313g per item) - slightly fewer heavyweight double albums
Bay 3 - 69 items, 20 kg (290g per item) - mostly 60s/70s/80s single albums, some180g and 200g

So the risk there is that I'm overloading each shelf with what fits. And they are not rammed in there.
(Picture above, second row from top, bays, 2,3 and 4 - Back to mine unmixed to Miles Davies).

It does seem unstressed when flexed.

This also assumes my kitchen scales are accurate. If another Kallax owning pink fish would attempt a weigh with known accurate scales that might help.
I do have a lot of 180g double albums in heavy sleeves. YMMV.

Thankfully no, but thanks for asking.

That photo does have me wanting to go and check mine though!

Kallax are great for vinyl storage (I use them myself), but whichever configuration you use, they have to be fixed to the wall; it's madness to have that amount of weight without it being made safe.

They are great for vinyl storage (I use them myself), but whichever configuration you use, they have to be fixed to the wall; it's madness to have that amount of weight without it being made safe.
Or, even if you're not worried about personal safety (tipping away from the wall), fixing the top to the wall would prevent the shear collapse shown in the photo!

Why don't you get three 4 x 1 units and stack them one on top of the other? I have two arranged this way, each full of LPs. I did glue 5mm plywood to the rear of each for torsional strength - you could use a single piece for the whole stack and have even more confidence in their stability.

Alex

Along with a multitude of other combinations in my small room - I have considered that arrangement of three 4x1 units stacked on top of each other.

I'm also now considering using three 4x4 Eket cabinets.

Like this image:

2a61dxwrunf01.jpg

This appeals to me because:
  • Ekets are only 35cm deep and include back panel, no wasted space behind LPs
  • Room is only small and will feel bigger with a lower unit (80cm including legs for Eket vs 119cm for 3 high Kallax).
  • I prefer the more uniform appearance of outer wall thickness/shelves

I diy-ed MDF back for my 4x2 ...and filled last mm with records.It is very rigid and safe now.Screwing Kalax to solid wall is good idea too.

advertisement

Back