advertisement

Ike Turner RIP

Irrespective of his personal habits, he was a great musician and was at least partly responsible for the "invention of Rock and Roll"

Irrespective of his personal habits, he was a great musician and was at least partly responsible for the "invention of Rock and Roll"

Here's something I wrote on Zerogain over a week ago.

Ike Turner - The inventor of Rock & Roll

Thought of by many to be just the violent, drug using ex-husband of Tina Turner. He has paid for his errors but he did help to invent Rock and Roll.

He built up a strong reputation in R&B being an excellent bandleader and musician. His band, Kings of Rhythm built up a good reputation. In the early 50's, they recorded with Sam Philips of Sun Records fame.

Ike Turner wrote a song called Rocket 88. This was sung by one of his sax players, Jackie Brenston. The tune was based around a late 40s song called Cadallac boogie. It was also based on a song called Rocket 88 boogie. Ike made his tune more raw, adding a strong backbeat. He took strong elements fro the jump blues and swing that was big at the time. He played piano on the recording. His panio intro was later copied by Little Richard on "Good Golly Miss Molly". The record features an early example of the distorted guitar sound that is so loved in popular music.

For some reason the record came out as "Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats" with no writing credit for Ike Turner. The record was a smash hit and was covered a few months later by Bill Hailey.

Jackie left the band & Ike carried on. He later meet Tina turner and that's another story.

There are other artists and records that could have the claim of the first rock & roll record but alot of people point to this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbfnh1oVTk0

Dean

I read it first time round Dean.

When I read the Yahoo news article link I posted, it so resembled your words of the week before that I wondered if you had written it for them :)

Chaps

Ike Turner was an odious creep without any redeeming virtues.

The world is a better place with his demise.

Just because he died does not entitle him to forgiveness.

I hope he burns in hell for a long time to come because he was a vicious and violent thug.

Regards

Mick

The world is a better place with his demise.
Ike Turner has...

- paid for some of his faults
- brought a lot to the world of rock music
- world has not become better with his demise

Unlike him, George W. Bush...

- will most likely never pay for his much much greater faults
- did not bring a single good thing to the world, as far as I can see
- and world will be an immensely better place after his retirement.

Cheese

It is dead easy for you to forgive him, you never had your face smashed in by him.

He acted like a cowardly scumbag and that is how he should be remembered.

Regards

Mick

What about, say, Miles Davis? Serial wife-beater, great musician.

Much of the greatest music has been made by people who are personally very unpleasant. Makes no difference to the music. The day art is only made by the pure is the day art ceases to be of any interest.

-- Ian

Cheese

It is dead easy for you to forgive him, you never had your face smashed in by him.

He acted like a cowardly scumbag and that is how he should be remembered.

Regards

Mick

The ability to forgive is one the most honourable traits a human can show.

Even if you can't forgive at least show repsect for his relatives who survive him.

Read Tina Turners response.

You seem to think that just because he was a good musician, we should forgive his repeated (yes repeated) acts of violence against women.

He was a cowardly thug.

Regards

Mick

I can fully understand that women like Tina and probably a few others will have reasons to hate him even once he's buried. My personal face has not been smashed by him so I do not have any reason to judge him either - we have something called law for that. As a result, I don't judge so I won't forgive either. Personally I have never beaten a woman but who says that I am an overall better man than Ike Turner ? I am not in a position to judge such things and a judgment is always easier to make once someone's dead.

And, to begin with, I haven't written this bop-dap-tweedle-dap-bop-dap-tweedle-dap intro on Nutbush. So if world remembers Ike rather than me it's not entirely unearned.

Cheese

Do you forgive Gary Glitter ....... same principle
Mick, could you please bloody hell read what I've written in my last post :

I don't judge so I won't forgive either.

Same thing goes for Gary Glitter. If you judge him, I'd be curious to know where you got your knowledge from about the Gary Glitter case.

Can you also please explain me, Mick, why a songwriting wife-beater should be worse than a non-songwriting wife-beater. The non-songwriting wife-beater gets forgiven some time after his death so why should it not be the same for a songwriting wife-beater.

Cheese

I read this

"Ike Turner has...

- paid for some of his faults
- brought a lot to the world of rock music
- world has not become better with his demise

I will agree with the second sentence only.

But he was a scumbag and his death is cannot be regretted.

Regards

Mick

Switzerland was by the way the last country in Europe to abolish the burning of witches. I do not wish to revive that tradition.

advertisement

Back