advertisement

If you were introducing someone to jazz...

Mingus Oh Yeah was my gateway drug (Hog Callin' Blues is just magnificent - Roland Kirk!!!), but Ah Um is probably a better entry point; very accessible and wide-ranging in content/style it surely has something everyone would like.

Mine was the live version of Moanin' from the Mingus Big Band 93. So much energy, it made me jump off the sofa and dance. I never ever ever dance! It must be played loud.

Goodbye Pork Pie Hat has to be the sexiest song ever. It's music for love making.

Mine was the live version of Moanin' from the Mingus Big Band 93. So much energy, it made me jump off the sofa and dance. I never ever ever dance! It must be played loud.

Goodbye Pork Pie Hat has to be the sexiest song ever. It's music for love making.

Although doing it to hog callin' blues could be interesting!

I Iove that Mingus Big Band version of Moanin', especially the Uhh about 20 seconds in, the anticipation of what's about to be unleashed.

What did you make of the Leo Pellegrino version at the 2017 proms?

Oh bugger, have just listened to that through headphones while at work, **** yeah, fighting the temptation to skive off home and crank it up. Maybe nip to the car, open all the doors and have a party in the multi-storey.

I assume you have the MPS albums that make up this box? If not immediately buy it! His best recorded output IMHO, and apparently his too.

Tony, do you have this box, and if so, how is the recording quality?

These are my favourite Peterson's albums and I am thinking whether to buy the CD or the LP box.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Tony, do you have this box, and if so, how is the recording quality?

These are my favourite Peterson's albums and I am thinking whether to buy the CD or the LP box.

I have the earlier and long deleted 4xCD fat-case box that has the same content, but not in the original sleeves etc. The sound quality of that is great (these are very good recordings, arguably Peterson’s best), so I’d be very surprised if this more upmarket later issue wasn’t also superb. I’ve also got one of them, ‘Action’ I think, on original vinyl, which again is wonderful.

advertisement

Back