advertisement

If you wanted a camera that was.....

The problem with Fuji is their god awful user interface (and I speak as an XE-3 owner). If you want something with the ergonomic simplicity of a film era SLR then I think Pentax comes closest and they're beautifully made too and fully weathersealed with great image quality and superb lenses.

They've just launched their new pro level APSC flagship K3 Mk3 but its out of budget but it would be worth looking for a K3 mk1 or 2 either secondhand or on clearance. Alternatively this combo comes right in on budget:

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/pentax-k-70-digital-slr-with-18-135mm-lens-1600230/

While this is slightly above budget:

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/pentax-kp-digital-camera-with-da-18-135mm-lens-black-1657450/

You could I'm sure substitute any number of Pentax lenses including:

16-85mm f3.5-5.6 HD ED DC WR DA Lens
17-70mm f4 DA AL IF SDM Lens
18-50mm f4-5.6 HD DA DC WR RE Lens
16-50mm f2.8 DA* ED Lens
18-135mm f3.5-5.6 ED AL IF DC WR Lens

The 16-50mm f2.8 DA* is around £1000, the rest around £500 or less.

Digital cameras have only become ever more complex. Of course one can ignore the trick bits they don't need, but imagine a digital camera that did raw only, similar in form and function to say a top vintage Olympus film camera, and think how life would become so much easier. :)
Completely agree with this! I'm looking for a good quality, light* straightforward camera too. I don't need video, vlogging accessories, 10 different jpeg effects or 20fps burst mode etc etc, just a camera with a good viewfinder that I can operate on top of a hill in bad weather with gloves on. I'd definitely trade a 3" tilting and rotating screen for big controls, something like the Canon G5X looks good apart from the small controls. Any suggestions?
* I have an EOS 5D mk2 / 24-105 which is a great indestructible camera but it's 1600g, plus bag, and it's getting harder to carry it uphill!

Completely agree with this! I'm looking for a good quality, light* straightforward camera too. I don't need video, vlogging accessories, 10 different jpeg effects or 20fps burst mode etc etc, just a camera with a good viewfinder that I can operate on top of a hill in bad weather with gloves on. I'd definitely trade a 3" tilting and rotating screen for big controls, something like the Canon G5X looks good apart from the small controls. Any suggestions?
* I have an EOS 5D mk2 / 24-105 which is a great indestructible camera but it's 1600g, plus bag, and it's getting harder to carry it uphill!

My experience with recent cameras is limited to a couple of tiny and basic Canon DSLRs: the 100D and 200D. You might like to look at them. Not as small as a G5X but I'll describe them anyway as they're smaller and lighter than the 5D II at least, with good sized controls.

Compared to the 100D, the 200D has more features like a twisty-turny screen; 24 MP instead of 18 MP; greater dynamic range; about a stop better noise performance in shadows and ISOs above 800; and a larger more traditional grip. I'd say both can be operated with gloves on, but you really need to check this for yourself. Fingerless, no problem. Neither camera is weatherproof, unfortunately. They should survive reasonable exposure to all but pissing rain, I'd think.

Both cameras have the same viewfinder. Not as big and bright as a FF camera's of course, but good enough IMV :p and better than some others in the same category. Their screens have similar if not identical resolution and are touch capable. The 200D is faster to focus in live view. Each has a selection of metering patterns. The 200D has an awkward power switch but you can leave the camera to turn itself off anyway and let it restart immediately the shutter button is pressed halfway.

From a strictly personal perspective I prefer the 100D. As in post #16 its handling really does remind me of my lovely old A-1. I find the grip a good size and all necessary controls fall naturally to my thumb and fingers. The ISO button in particular is much easier to access than the 200D's. And since I find its real life raw IQ quite acceptable, the 100D gets my nod much more often. If you have large hands you might prefer the 200D.

Used, the 200D is great value but I reckon the 100D is an incredible bargain.

The EF-S 15-85mm is the crop equivalent to the 24-105mm and somewhat smaller and lighter but beware as sample variations are rife. A good one though is very good and considered equal in IQ to the 24-105mm L.‌ I'm thinking of having my own used one serviced by Canon as it has an apparent tilt. Cheaper than buying a new lens and should be vastly less faff than making sample comparisons. The 18-135mm STM is well regarded, as is even the humble and very light 18-55mm STM kit lens. The 24mm STM pancake (38mm FF equivalent) is fantastic. Used EF and EF-S lenses are abundant, and I feel that along with Nikon they're the best value of any system if you choose carefully. In addition to the 15-85mm that I never use, I have a 18-55 STM, 24mm STM, 60mm macro, and a very old but good EF 35-135mm f/4-5.6. I tend to take out either a zoom or prime combo.

Of older DSLRs, I really like the ancient 6 MP Nikon D50 which also has great handling. It makes really lovely jpegs at base ISO. The viewfinder is really small, though. The battery life is phenomenal. The D90 is a good step up in IQ. Both are much heavier and more substantial than the tiny Canons. There are no wide DX primes AFAIK.

Except for once holding a Fuji X-T3 and an Olympus OM-D something, I have no experience with mirrorless cameras, sorry.

Blah blah blah. HTH.

Last edited:
Thanks @Durmbo, that's helpful and has helped me to focus my thoughts. I think I need to go to a shop and try a few cameras for feel and useability, I've looked at so many online now.

To be honest, the elephant in the room, is always in these discussions, the small simple old-fashioned DLSR range. For example Nikon’s 3000 or 5000 series. I really cannot see why we don’t still buy them. After all the sensor is just as competent as anything with similar mega pixels ina mirror less camera and the controls are familiar, the weight is light, and the viewfinder better than any electronic version.
Well to answer my own question, I think it’s because those ranges were always aimed at the starter end of the market, and are rarely weatherproof, and often use plastics Et cetera in the build and so you tend to get better features and higher quality in Mirrorless cameras I think. However of course they do cost much more so it’s simply a matter of what you are prepared to trade in.
Nikon’s z50 Seems to be the best compromise between all these features and facts that I have seen so far. For something like £1000 with a lens you do seem to get the best of both worlds. I think it’s probably what I will be heading at some point.

To be honest, the elephant in the room, is always in these discussions, the small simple old-fashioned DLSR range. For example Nikon’s 3000 or 5000 series. I really cannot see why we don’t still buy them.

Well I can offer one data point. I owned a D3200. I thought it had a truly great 24MP sensor. I loved the out of camera jpegs. If I am not wrong the sensor was Nikon-made (not that this means anything, as I've seen great results from Sony sensors too).

The D3200 was small and light. Therefore close to what I needed. However I thought it had one of the worst viewfinders ever designed. It was *tiny*, dark - barely usable for a bespectacled person. I even had issues using it when wearing contacts. Coming from the incredible viewfinders of the Olympus OM2n, and from the quite good viewfinder of the Nikon F100, I just couldn't get used to what looked like an afterthought really. Also - I thought that many DX lens, though really good, were not *that* compact. I think I had a 35mm f1.8G and it was really unbalanced in front of the D3200.

Is there a reason why DSLRs seem to have worse viewfinders than corresponding, feature-matched film SLRs by the way? Or was this only my impression based on the Nikon lineup.

Last edited:
Nikon’s z50 Seems to be the best compromise between all these features and facts that I have seen so far. For something like £1000 with a lens you do seem to get the best of both worlds. I think it’s probably what I will be heading at some point.

I had my eyes on it at some point. For me personally the problem there is the lack of tiny, high quality primes. I mean here's one of the available options to place a fast high quality nikon normal prime in front of the Z50:

2019-10-17_195333_NZ6_3149.jpg

Here's what Nikon was doing in this direction 40 years ago

0237b621-4fe8-4459-8496-64eff6feadbf.jpg

I own that tiny Nikkor Ai-s 50mm f/1.8 pancake. It's great. If Nikon gave me a set of super high quality TINY primes for the Z50, I would 100% open my wallet.

The EF-S 24mm pancake made me switch from Nikon to Canon.

Does anyone else get tired of zooms zooms zooms? I think that primes, in forcing the photographer to move around, can invite greater exploration of the subject. Of course, they also keep things simple. When I had the 18-55mm that came with the D50, I'd sometimes tape the zoom ring at 24mm as 35mm FF has been my favourite focal length forever.

advertisement

Back