advertisement

If you like Gong, Hawkwind, Hillage, Ozrics ...

Liverpool’s finest Kraut/space-rock band Mugstar for a start:

There’s actually a fair amount of this sort of stuff about at present e.g. Korb, Smote etc.

Here’s some Smote.

Yes, it's never been a better time to be into this sort of thing -not enough hours in the day if anything. Check Fruits de Mer and Sulatron labels just for starters especially the Head music series from the former.

'At the Mountains of Madness' by John Zorn's Electric Masada. Definitely one for Gong and Hillage fans, if quite a bit wilder, and one of the most mind blowing slabs of instrumental music I've ever heard.

There used to be an artist on youtube called "Lonehawk" (I think) that did some great space rock. Can't seem to find any now.

I’ve just stuck my only Acid Mothers Temple album, Absolutely Freak Out (original black & red vinyl issue), and it is just as face-meltingly bonkers as I remember. Possibly more Metal Machine Music than Hawkwind, but that’s cool too. A healthy racket.

PS If we are venturing into classic Düül II territory then Yeti and Phallus Dei would be my picks.

This is great; I love the fact that there appears to be a resurgance of this stuff- exactly what's needed in these conformist/consensus times!
Thanks for the recommendations.

For the older stuff:

Underground Zero

Here and Now (obviously)

Amon Duul II

A couple of classics there but I haven’t come across Underground Zero before. I rather liked that. A quick look out there suggests only a couple of releases.

I’ve just stuck my only Acid Mothers Temple album, Absolutely Freak Out (original black & red vinyl issue), and it is just as face-meltingly bonkers as I remember. Possibly more Metal Machine Music than Hawkwind, but that’s cool too. A healthy racket.

Their output covers such a wide range of stuff, some is bang on in the Gong / Hawkwind / Duul spacerock vein (especially the "Crystal Rainbow Pyramid" track)

For me it’s ‘Godspeed you black emperor’ and others from that mad Canadian commune/collective. Lost track of their various iterations.

advertisement

Back