advertisement

If You Could Recommend Just One Track...

thedanfan

pfm Member
...that you love and imagine that all right thinking people would love as well what would it be?

I'm going to check out as many of these as I can and who knows perhaps I'll find a new favourite band.

Mine? "Babylon Sisters" by Steely Dan

"More Than Ever" By Bedhead from Transaction de Novo

(Assuming we are aiming for something most people likely wont have hared of)

Something out of the ordinary then:

Jack Gregory, Minore tou deke,
is a suberb bouzouki instrumental in the Rembetika (Greek urban blues) style.

This is on 'Rembetica; Historic Urban Folksongs from Greece' (Rounder CD 1079)

Nick

Probably 4 - Thunderclap Newman 'Something in the air' (most of rest of old stuff is avoidable, apart from 'Accidents').

Jennifer Rush 'The power of love' (proper original long version - preferably via vinyl) - rest of stuff is rubbish.

Boston 'More than a feeling' (some great stuff on first album, a little on 2nd & a smidgeon on 3rd).

Minnie Riperton did one brilliant song - rest to be avoided.

New stuff (nice rehash of old) = Kaiser Chiefs, especially B & C sides/some early 'Parva' material.

Apart from croaking Bob Dylan, probably Elvis Costello is best performing/writing act currently.

That's six tracks, no?

I'd go for Big Swing Face, from the album of the same name by Bruce Hornsby.

Wonderful, infectious, vertigo inducing billowy pop that grooves like billy-o. Play v. loud.

Chumpy said:
Minnie Riperton did one brilliant song - rest to be avoided.
Au contraire. She started out in a fab group called the Rotary Connection. Brilliant psych Soul. Check out I am the Black Gold of the Sun. I dare you not to like this...

joel said:
Au contraire. She started out in a fab group called the Rotary Connection. Brilliant psych Soul. Check out I am the Black Gold of the Sun. I dare you not to like this...

Well said Joel.

Dean

She also sang on a rather good Osamu Kitajima album :)

One song........ I don't know how this could be considered easy!

It depends on mood and the person I was reccomending it to.......

perhaps : 'Everytime we say goodbye' sung by Ella Fitzgerald

Easily accessible - and as Bing (Crosby) said "Man, Woman or Child; Ella Fitzgerald is the greatest.

Ta for tip about Minnie - will listen to your Rotary recommendation in 5.48 minutes ... am listening now ... seems adequate, but as avoidable as 'The Best Of Minnie Riperton' Capitol Gold CD with one all-time great 'Loving you' & 16 whatevers ...

... Eva Cassidy 'Fields of gold' ... she had it in just about all of her officially & unofficially available songs ...

advertisement

Back