advertisement

IEMs

Brocks

Picked a pair of cheap iem’s up from Amazon Yinyoo KZ ZS10 Pro now I know they are far from high end but I’m loving the sounds they make. In fact so much so I’m thinking about building a hi end set up. Think I have list fallen for iem’s. Please be gentle what would consider a good bang for the £ iem’s set up?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I envy you, I’ve never found a pair of IEMs I can fit in/keep in my ears!
Took a bit of playing with the supplied tips. They come with 2 medium ones that are slightly different to each other. Could be more down to quality control than anything I suppose lol. For the 40 odd quid I’m a happy bunny.

I have a pair of Cambridge Audio SE 1’s that I use with an iPod classic 160gb that is full of albums.
No problem with them staying in my ears, but I can’t wear them for more than a couple of hours.
Personally, if you stream music and have a smart phone, then that would be a great start.
Is it mobile listening or sat still, stationary listening?

Picked a pair of cheap iem’s up from Amazon Yinyoo KZ ZS10 Pro now I know they are far from high end but I’m loving the sounds they make. In fact so much so I’m thinking about building a hi end set up. Think I have list fallen for iem’s. Please be gentle what would consider a good bang for the £ iem’s set up?

A pair of these:
lindy cromo
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A8MEJNY/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

... plugged into one of these:
kenable
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019ZUCC4M/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Plug the kenable into your computer/phone headphone output - and be mildly amazed at what you get for less than £40 ;)

Both of these a result of tips picked up on hifi forums ....(including PFM of course ;) )

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
A pair of these:
lindy cromo
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A8MEJNY/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

... plugged into one of these:
kenable
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019ZUCC4M/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Plug the kenable into your computer/phone headphone output - and be mildly amazed at what you get for less than £40 ;)

Both of these a result of tips picked up on hifi forums ....(including PFM of course ;) )
I was recommending those Lindy's a few years ago, did you see my post? It might have been on AoS mind you.

I was recommending those Lindy's a few years ago, did you see my post? It might have been on AoS mind you.

Very possible Lawrence, to be honest I can't remember ... but I did frequent AoS for a while :)

... the Kenable was definitely a recent PFM one, one of the threads in the 'headphones' section.

Custom ear moulds. I had some made for my Ety ER-4s. For comfort I find flanges < foam < Comply < custom moulds.

Had them made by the Custom IEM Co. Strangely the moulds ended up being manufactured at P C Werth who are the Ety importers.

I stream from my iPhone via tidal into a Chord Mojo 2 and use Campfire Audio IEMs. I have a pair of the Polaris (bought used from eBay for £250) which I like and a pair of the Solaris 2020 which are sublime (but quite a lot more money). It took a bit of time finding the right pair of tips to create a perfect seal but once I did, they are very comfortable for extended periods and sound ace!

... For comfort I find flanges < foam < Comply < custom moulds.
I haven't gone as far as custom moulds - yet; but then I like some of the things IEMs do, not others, and fundamentally rarely can stand more than 60-90mins or so of wearing.

Comply foam - my favourite, so far, agreed.

There are also quite-spendy aftermarket silicone parts that seem to get wide recommendation; like SpinFit. I've been through two or three of the latter in various sizes, picked based on knowing what fits my ears comfortably and they are AllRong / no better than what comes for free - and not cheap. Don't bother.

On IEMs themselves: I have tried a few. The ZS10Pros I've had c 3yrs - good enough, and cheap enough, even if the native response is a V-shaped curve is hilarious. Great on public transport for low-level listening and isolation; a mid/treble that will never annoy - but a thing I've noticed with such Balanced Armature devices - given the ridiculous sensitivity - they simply do not deliver dynamic range well; a really odd thing I do not understand. And it tracks even when I have them plugged into my diy class-A Can-driving beast-amp that could cook them with c. 8w still within class A ;)

IEMs for me then requires dynamic drivers. I have said before elsewhere on pfm I really like the Moondrop Aria. A single 10mm dynamic driver that is clean and well-balanced when given a good signal. A slightly-elevated bass level, but that is balanced by delivery of bass timbre better than many headphones of any kind at all. And - superb for IEMs at scaling across the range of music dynamics. The Arias represent as much as I will likely spend on such small/drop-able/fragile/ not entirely-sure they really suit me, things.

Oh -then again I've long-owned a pair of the singular Stax in-ear Electrostatics; and after modding the driver box - they cream the rest: except, the in-ear fitting is _really_ odd/oval, so if you cant get them to seal - no bass! And the nominal idea of 600vDC bias pushed well inside the ear canal/ across the brain, might take some trust ;)

ETA: July update below - have changed my mind, on SpinFit.
I stand by my comments on needing dynamic drivers; and the Arias remain a fave.

Last edited:
I like Spin-Fit tips. They really work for me. They aren't just one mould, but are made from an inner and outer part that allows the bit in your ear to move (almost like it's on a ball joint). It makes them more comfortable and the seal better, in my experience.

I have three sets of IEMs currently. For everyday use I have some Westone UM3X that I've had since 2011. They used to be my main and only earphones for a good while and I appreciated their flat and neutral sound signature. Some criticise a lack of bass, and they for sure they won't wobble your ear. But the bass is tight and clear and benefits from something like a Chord Mojo.

For serious listening I use either Westone W60 or Noble Kaiser Encore. The Nobles were 3x more expensive than the W60, but are only a bit better sounding to my ears. Certainly not 3x as good! The diminishing returns equation really seems to kick in with IEMs. If you can find some Westone W60 on the used market I would suggest those are a really good choice. More bass than their cousins the UM3X, and a warmer presentation. But still very clear and sweet sounding.

I have had Sennheiser IE800s - good-ish fit but very v-shaped and build was garbage (and yes they were genuine product). I replaced them with KSE1200 e-stats. Sound was muscular and quite technically competent but they were a faff with the required, heavy lump of an amp (the curse of e-stats) and were not super comfy.

I have heard the Stax jobbies (thanks Martin) and they were sonically superb, but less comfortable than poking a screwdriver into your ear.

I like the idea of IEMs, and there must be a sonically pleasing, comfortable-fitting pair somewhere but the market is prolific, chaotic and price seems no guide to performance. I just don't have the patience, opportunity or dedication.

Hello
I used the IE800 for a long time , very very nice sound and the buds given in the box fitted my ears
Easy to drive
Pleased me a lot , and ultimately sold the HD800 , in favour of keeping the IE800
I even bought a second pair of them , who are still unopened and in the box ..
Cheers

There are also quite-spendy aftermarket silicone parts that seem to get wide recommendation; like SpinFit. I've been through two or three of the latter in various sizes, picked based on knowing what fits my ears comfortably and they are AllRong / no better than what comes for free - and not cheap.

Well - I am going to have to eat that opinion; hands-up!

I'm trying some new IEMs, and - wierdly, after cycling through the supplied /suggested / bits in the spares box for the essential tips - it's the Spinfit blues I already had, that work best/are comfiest, to me now. By far; which is ..interesting.

It might well be I'd bought for the wrong barrel size - the new shineh are about 1/2mm larger, there; but the resulting combo is very comfy, also excellent seal at little insertion depth. As in - just sat-in, the seal is good enough I hear my heartbeat well short of the unpleasant sensation of of 'IEM-inserted-pressure.'

So - significantly revised opinion: be prepared to ... try a few. Might cost more than the iems!

I use a set of fiio FH9 as my daily drivers, wired into a fiio M15, and then wireless with a set of fiio UTWS5 adapters when I'm out n about, at gym etc.

My 7hz don’t move Tony and they supply several buds for you to choose which ones suit you. I’ve been looking at DAPs for a while but they are so old in SoC compared with phones I’m probably just going to got a decent phone shortly and if needed a 3.5mm to USB-C adaptor passive without DAC if I can. That probably will be the case to choose one with a decent support period of OS and security updates.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09C8GN9PQ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Have to say I absolutely love my IEMs. Mine are the opposite of cheap - Shure SE846, but money well spent given how much I use them. FWIW - my favourite tips (after much experimentation) are the stock triple flange jobbies.

So having never had a set of iems before I took a punt on those that the OP started the thread about. And I’m loving them.

only had them a couple of days, but they go deep, with tuneful and tight bass, mids are open and the top end is crystal. For £44 I’m amazed I’ll be honest. Having had open and closed Sennheisers and closed backed expensive Denons I’m impressed.

Have to say I absolutely love my IEMs. Mine are the opposite of cheap - Shure SE846, but money well spent given how much I use them. FWIW - my favourite tips (after much experimentation) are the stock triple flange jobbies.
That’s what I use after going up the Shure ladder over a 20 year period. I bought a pair of Sony WF1000XM4s last year and was very pleasantly surprised by how good they sounded and how effective noise cancelling is in noisy transport environments. They’re also easier to pop in and out cw the Shures. Need to do a comparison to assess SQ between both.

advertisement

Back