advertisement

IEMs with some dynamic expression

Darren

So gentle when he tries to understand.
I've recently begun listening to Spotify via some IEMs while working in the evening. My problem is that the ones I have don't have any amount of dynamic expression or decent bass so they sound boring.
So far I have Beyer dynamic Byrons, Sennheiser momentum in ears and some Sony Xtra bass things which, oddly enough are the best so far. I have a bad feeling that I'll have to spend more than I have been. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
This is a little left field but I’ve just purchased some Chinese made IEMs called KZ ATE’s for .......£9.99. They are amazing for the price. Made and designed by an ex Audio Technica engineer and his classical music loving partner apparently. So impressed I bought my wife’s Dad a set. Great bass with detailed and sparkling highs. Just a thought.

This is a little left field but I’ve just purchased some Chinese made IEMs called KZ ATE’s for .......£9.99. They are amazing for the price. Made and designed by an ex Audio Technica engineer and his classical music loving partner apparently. So impressed I bought my wife’s Dad a set. Great bass with detailed and sparkling highs. Just a thought.
Thank you very much! I will have a look into those.

Yoink. At that price, am going to give them a go too. :)

Can you clarify what you mean by 'dynamic expression'?

Do you mean able to resolve highly dynamic music?

I posted this on a similar thread here:

I just purchased some Etymotic ER4XRs (to replace older ER6is) to use with a Sony ZX300 portable player.

First up I am an Etymotic fan - for me there is nothing like them - but they are not 'easy' and have some drawbacks. However they can provide a connection to music like nothing else I have experienced; its kind of like a 'neural injection'!

The drawbacks are:
  • The seal with your ear is critical, fail to get this right and the bass will disappear (and you will wonder why so many praise them).
  • Getting the seal right means a tight fit deep in your ear canal which can become uncomfortable and you may struggle to find a tip that works (although there are many to choose from).
  • Getting them in and out of your ear quickly (because of the seal and deep insertion) is not easy/comfortable.
  • Because of the deep insertion and tight fit there is a mechanical connection between the cable and your ear which make cable microphony a problem. Some aftermarket cables claim to reduce this but it is an inherent design challenge.
However, given the above there are positives:
  • The tight seal results in very high blocking of ambient sound; waaaaay greater than anything else I have heard. In certain situations this can be dangerous as you are really oblivious to whats going on around you.
  • The build quality and customer support is first class and models last for years. I like that Eymotic stand by their designs and don't feel the need to produce a tweaked version every 12 months.
  • And the sound . . . . ! IME fed from a good source there are few if any more neutral and transparent audio devices out there. The sense of a direct visceral connection to music is unparalleled. Indeed if you are a fan of 'voiced' tonally pleasant equipment (valve amps etc) then ETs are probably not for you. I am a Benchmark/active ATC listener and really just want to hear what's on a recording without looking at it through rose coloured lenses. Not saying that's right or wrong (whatever floats your boat) but ETs are, in hifi speak 'ruthlessly revealing'. That said, the ER4XRs do have a deliberate bass lift but it is small and non-intrusive. There is another version (ER4SR) that seek to offer a completely flat in-ear response - but, for me, they are too hardcore!!
Finally, if you are interested in ETs do shop around. The ET4XRs I bought were MUCH cheaper on Amazon than anywhere else (Amazon £233, Richer Sounds £359)

D
Best

Doug

Thanks Doug.... that is indeed what I was looking for. I'll have to save up a bit I can see ( I was thinking more £150ish) but if they sounds that good.....

Thanks Copperjacket. Appreciate you taking an interest.
Does anyone think that these deep-in - my-ear- canal things have any potential to damage one's hearing? (if used sensibly)
I can now only hear up to 12khz and am keen to protect what hearing I have left.

Based on my experience I would say they are a good thing: I have partially damaged hearing in one ear as a result of shooting with inadequate protection. I find that I very consciously have the volume lower when I use the iems than I do with my main stereo, TV or even ordinary headphones.

I have Senn CX-3.00. Was going to try Momentums but I read some negative reviews, even in comparison to CX-3.00. Anyone heard both?

I have tried many - but currently am enjoying the Flares PRO 2 HD

https://www.flareaudio.com/products/flare-pro-2hd

The sound is rounded - good definition plus fullness. And - importantly - they are very comfortable for long periods ( I have a 2 hour commute). They come with a BT assembly.
They are listed at £399 but are always having offers - think I paid just over £200 - think I saw a second hand pair recently too.

Pound for pound the Shure range are very good. Well balanced sound with both punch and powerful but tuneful bass. You can get the SE535’s for under £200 now which is amazing value. I found these to be the very start point for high end in ears....

I have tried many - but currently am enjoying the Flares PRO 2 HD

https://www.flareaudio.com/products/flare-pro-2hd

The sound is rounded - good definition plus fullness. And - importantly - they are very comfortable for long periods ( I have a 2 hour commute). They come with a BT assembly.
They are listed at £399 but are always having offers - think I paid just over £200 - think I saw a second hand pair recently too.

Considering the older model's (Flare Pro) price reduction to £149 I decided to pull the trigger. These will probably be delivered to me today. I'll write my first impressions later today.

My first impressions are very, very positive.

A natural, effortless, coherent sound. Detailed yet full bodied as @Netley described. And my LG V30 drives them with ease.

These are a bargain at this price IMO.

For once the rave reviews appear to be spot on.

Another one to endorse Flares. I had the Pros after being impressed with their Jet 1s. What a step up (the Jets were very good for the price though). I now have the Pro 2 HDs and they are the best I have ever heard. Amazing sound at a very reasonable price considering what you can pay for the like of Campfire etc.

Incidentally, the original Pros can be had for £99 on the Bay direct from Flare.

Give the Flares a go!

Neil

@Netley - is that your geographical position?

Twas, when I came up with a user name for another forum - I’m, ooooh, at least 10 miles away now...

advertisement

Back