advertisement

idiots guide to amp building

1.5mm2 wire for my builds, unless there is a specific need for very low resistance (I used 4mm2 for a power ground in my NCC300S)
Gave up trying to build welders many years ago. Too much hassle building with obese wires.

Last edited:
IMG_20210515_153905529[1]

any obvious issues with this layout before I start drilling the case.

only concern was the placement of the transformer as the case is tight, initially I was going to offset it it to the left and stack the 2 hackercap bards next to each other but thought central looked a bit neater trying to keep cable runs from the NCC200 as short as possible

thoughts or suggestions welcome

I have replaced the base plate in the case with 4mm aluminium and have added much larger aluminium plates to the NCC200s as heatsinks

IMG_20210515_153905529[1]

any obvious issues with this layout before I start drilling the case.

only concern was the placement of the transformer as the case is tight, initially I was going to offset it it to the left and stack the 2 hackercap bards next to each other but thought central looked a bit neater trying to keep cable runs from the NCC200 as short as possible

thoughts or suggestions welcome

I have replaced the base plate in the case with 4mm aluminium and have added much larger aluminium plates to the NCC200s as heatsinks
Try this:
  • Move the transformer to the front right.
  • Move the CAP boards to the bottom left, with their inputs at the front.
  • Rotate the NCC200's 90deg, so that their input stages are towards the back.

Hi I have minicap6 was keeping them for monos as space going to be tight there as well. Might swap over see if it helps. Was just trying to use the hackercap as new and shiny lol

you don't need a soft start but I would recommend speaker protection
Also where is the output transistor heat sink?, is that a thick alloy base plate?
Alan

where is the output transistor heat sink?, is that a thick alloy base plate?
I'm doing the same thing with my amps using the Modushop Pesante cases. I replaced the base plates with 3mm aluminum, and I've had no problem with NCC200 boards. Similarly, my mono Voyagers have both QUDOS and and VBE boards, also using an aluminum sheet (albeit with the front and back part of that sheet, similar to Naim's old sleds). I've had no problems with overheating in any of these cases.

the base has been replaced with 4mm aluminium sheet.

the heat sinks for the ncc200 are oversized with 10 mm plate under u-channel,

going by the case for the 260z it should be fine the 260z doesn't even get warm

advertisement

Back