advertisement

idiots guide to amp building

Be wary that purchasing from Europe now incurs Tax and fees. Just got stung for £57 extra from Fedex for a £210 order from modushop. :eek:

I have the Avondale soft start I thought that offered a level of protection by avoiding the inrush of current?

Think that bit stops the fuses blowing/ circuit breakers tripping when the inrush happens at switch on?

Doesnt the seperate speaker protection module stop excessive DC due to circuit failure or other things blowing the cones?

Ok will have a look into this then never fitted such items literally where do they go? As space tight?
Do factory amps have them then? Concern there is a potential to degrade the sound quality as not seen them on Les built amps for example?

Yeah, makes it all quite costly and our UK cottage industry more viable for things like transformers. Glad now I've asked Terry at Cantebury Windings to construct a transformer for me, the other option was Toroidy in Poland... which wouold have also been hit with tax.

Ok will have a look into this then never fitted such items literally where do they go? As space tight?
Do factory amps have them then? Concern there is a potential to degrade the sound quality as not seen them on Les built amps for example?

Valid question, maybe someone that has the experience can let us know if speaker protection necessary or just paranoia? What does it do to the sound?

If the amp goes DC... and Avondale amps can do this (as can most DC coupled amps) then it is almost certain that a woofer will be destroyed. I built and fitted a Velleman module to a customers Avondale amp about 6 months ago in which an NCC200 had gone DC and taken out the woofer in one of his Rega speakers. The NCC200 itself was beyond repair also so I fitted NCC220's as an upgrade along with the Velleman. There are loads of Chi fi protection modules available on epay also of course but as a generality these things are a "grudge purpose" so few if any are truly up to the job in every way and under all circumstances. Better than now't though!

https://cpc.farnell.com/velleman-kit/k4700/k4700-2channel-loudspeaker-protector/dp/HK00743 any good for speaker protection please Alan? Do you have better options?

Thanks in advance :)

Yes the Velleman kit works well only thing I don't like about it is the speaker wire connections are pants :D
The speaker protection modules based on the UPC-1237 are a very good alternative and offer a more robust speaker connection
There are loads of them on EBay
300W Digital Power Amplifier Protection Board Delay Relay Speaker Protection | eBay
Alan

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Yes the Velleman kit works well only thing I don't like about it is the speaker wire connections are pants :D
The speaker protection modules based on the UPC-1237 are a very good alternative and offer a more robust speaker connection
There are loads of them on EBay
300W Digital Power Amplifier Protection Board Delay Relay Speaker Protection | eBay
Alan

I have no problems with the Vellemans speaker terminals and vastly prefer them to the one's on the module you linked to. I wouldn't touch that with a bargepole TBH! A decent quality relay is more than that entire thing...

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
ok where do you get the 12-16\v supply from on avondale boards?
I have an extra little transformer for the UPC-1237 module. It takes very little current, so a small one will do just fine.

BTW, I was discussing these with Les at Avondale, and he seemed to think they were not too bad, except that you couldn't trust the cheap electrolytic capacitors. He recommended that I replace them all.

The only way to get a good quality protection unit is to build it from scratch yourself IMHO. It's in the nature of them being grudge purchases that all the ones you can buy are cheap and nasty and in fact won't protect against all DC faults under all circumstances... then there's the reliability of those el cheapo Chinese relays and possible effect on sound quality, especially as they age and contacts wear or become pitted.

advertisement

Back