advertisement

Idiot/dangerous drivers

As my instructor taught me when I was giving the driving instructor thing a go, only the Queen has right of way, the rest of us may have priority.

:)

And never beckon pedestrians to cross, unless you want to kill them.

That is a good way to kill someone, but best to do it in a stolen car (thinking of that scene in Pulp Fiction).

The road I had in mind is one way, so no chance of other traffic killing anyone.

As my instructor taught me when I was giving the driving instructor thing a go, only the Queen has right of way, the rest of us may have priority.

:)

Just found this using Google "The rules in The Highway Code do not give you the right of way in any circumstance, but they advise you when you should give way to others."

So where does this "right of way" myth come from?

I’ll ask again. Have you never seen a car go the wrong way down a one way street? Your particular street may well have magical properties, but my question was easy enough to answer, surely. People manage to drive the wrong way down motorways and dual carriageways, after all.

Sadly, the driver who flashed used his headlights correctly, but why on earth didn't he slow down if he thought there was a risk of the other driver pulling out? Two idiots, by the sound of it.
Wide boy young car salesman in a Discovery from the forecourt, what do you think?

I’ll ask again. Have you never seen a car go the wrong way down a one way street? Your particular street may well have magical properties, but my question was easy enough to answer, surely. People manage to drive the wrong way down motorways and dual carriageways, after all.

That reminds me, must check lottery numbers...

You're not going to believe this but I was walking my son to school today when a drunk driver was coming the wrong way up the one-way street we were crossing. Long story short, we are in hospital but luckily our lottery numbers came up, so we are in a nice private hospital.

Anyway, that's not the reason I'm posting this. Just wanted to ask opinions on new property because while we were in hospital a plane crashed into our house and it's written off.

You're not going to believe this but I was walking my son to school today when a drunk driver was coming the wrong way up the one-way street we were crossing. Long story short, we are in hospital but luckily our lottery numbers came up, so we are in a nice private hospital.

Anyway, that's not the reason I'm posting this. Just wanted to ask opinions on new property because while we were in hospital a plane crashed into our house and it's written off.
The plane or the house? Or the hospital?

Just found this using Google "The rules in The Highway Code do not give you the right of way in any circumstance, but they advise you when you should give way to others."

So where does this "right of way" myth come from?
A misunderstanding of the word. The correct term would be priority, which does not confer rights, unlike a right of way, which does. Generally through someone else's property.
Over the years Highway Codes have become more and more complex (I have a little book of early Highway Codes), whereas the early ones focussed in consideration to other road users. Lack of same has resulted in more and more rules (and road markings) to make giving way compulsory. How many drivers* have a Highway Code? And if they have, ever read it?
* I use the term loosely, of course. One of my trainers pointed out most people behind a wheel are not drivers, just pedestrians trying to get from A to B with minimum inconvenience. Only to themselves, naturally. Signs and road markings are "driver stuff", not applicable to them. And it's funny (sometimes!) watching them squeeze up close behind another car when trying to get through a gap, as though they are in a bus queue, whereas dropping back would make passing easier and quicker. Down our lanes they do it over and over again, never learning that it didn't work at the last choke point, so why would it work at the next one?

Last edited:
The issues, I think, can usually be boiled down to, either, lack of awareness, or, lack of consideration.

Neither of which can be addressed by cctv, ‘safety’ cameras or average speed cameras. But they are cheaper than police patrols, it would seem.

Not idiot or dangerous, but there is another class of driver who needs to be put up against the wall and shot. That’s people in a soft top/convertible who drive around on a sunny day like today with the roof up!

(According to my extensive research, they all voted Brexit, so should be shot anyway)

advertisement

Back