advertisement

Ideas for improving the appearance of Promitheus Pre Amplifier

What parameters did you use to calculate that Tony? ;)
I rather like the under-exposed, vignetted image, but come on man, clean the finger marks off the lid! :D
Have you thought about just rubbing the wood down and using a black lacquer? Would look nice with the silver accentuations.
How to Give Furniture a Black Lacquer Finish (sfgate.com)

Ha ha, I had just taken the lid of to check internal dimensions.

Yes, now new knobs are in place I am wondering 'if' sanding down and painting black should also be considered.

And use these TIMCO 'Polished Chrome Solid Brass Screw Caps' to cover the screw heads in the lid - I could possibly wrinkle paint (as suggested upthread) or get it powder coated.

ae235

Yes, now new knobs are on I am wondering 'if' sanding down and painting black should also be considered.

What is it actually made of, is it real wood or MDF? If it is real wood it might look a lot better with the ugly varnish or whatever it is sanded/stripped off and just oiled. It is the naff fit and finish that offends my eyes, not the material (assuming it is wood, I detest MDF with a passion!).

What is it actually made of, is it real wood or MDF? If it is real wood it might look a lot better with the ugly varnish or whatever it is sanded/stripped off and just oiled. It is the naff fit and finish that offends my eyes, not the material (assuming it is wood, I detest MDF with a passion!).

It's solid wood of Malaysian origin.

IF you can clear the grooves (time-consuming PITA) then either Osmo, or Danish oil. Danish is more moisture resistant. Did all my internal doors with Osmo (door oil) and it has a nice satin sheen, but these swell a little in the winter. Danish is a bit glossier but still nice and adds a little more colour than clear Osmo.
edit: You can also get mirror screws with a 10mm domed piece that screws into a thread in the top of the wood-screw. Should be cheap enough.

Quick update as I haven't posted for a while out of courtesy to all who offered input and help to re-case.

I have decided on new furniture for my listening room, finally finished deciding on actual items yesterday and now have them on order.

Going to wait until I have new furniture in place before 'finally' deciding on how I'm going to re-case the Promitheus.

Hope you lads don't mind me returning for assistance, in due course?

Cheers

Gerard

Last edited:

advertisement

Back