advertisement

Ideas for improving the appearance of Promitheus Pre Amplifier

Struggling to find a suitably sized new case, the Chinese seem to make every size known to man except one to suit Promitheus innards.

The Internal Dimensions of the Promitheus is 270mm Wide x 165mm Deep x 63mm High

The key dimension is the depth - due to the short cable lengths used any new case really can't be more that 170mm deep and I'd say no less than 150mm.

Increasing the height and depth over current internal dimensions presents no problem.

A case with no pre-drilled holes is best option (again due to the short wiring).

Something like this case from Douk Audio on Ebay would be ideal if one could be sourced with correct dimensions.

s-l1600.jpg

I buy Lincoln Binns enclosures for my phono stages. The last two I bought are 160mm depth. They’re a bit like the Hammond cases but nicer. I don’t know how to post pics off my phone but I can WhatsApp you a couple if you want to pm me your number.

What thickness and size are the metal plates top and bottom?

I reckon uniobox2 from Lincoln binns might be about right, give you just over 70mm internal about 80mm high in total and they do a 160mm deep version off the shelf. I buy it in 1m lengths and cut to size.

The enclosures I’m using have top and bottom plates which are 198 x 160 x 2mm thick. There’s also an intermediate plate on which all the innards are mounted and can be slid in and out after removal of the front or rear face.

This is the Uniobox-2 exploded.

UnioBoxCustom.png

If you could use your existing plates for top and bottom, then just add the side extrusions that could be cut to the exact length of your plates, then you need a front and rear, would you be happy with those is acrylic plastic or similar?

My own enclosures are already built up and I’m happy with them. I’m going to make some thicker front plates when I get round to it but I think they look ok as is. I’ll post some pics tomorrow when I can get to my desk top.

This is the Uniobox-2 exploded.

UnioBoxCustom.png

If you could use your existing plates for top and bottom, then just add the side extrusions that could be cut to the exact length of your plates, then you need a front and rear, would you be happy with those is acrylic plastic or similar?

Apologies Puggie, I’ve just realised you were talking to Gerard and not me :oops:
I think you’ve come up with a great idea and it’s quite easy to do.

Yeah, it was directed at the OP, I'd figured you were probably using the Aluboss stuff from your description which is very nice but expensive (well the big stuff is).

Shame the 66mm variant would be too small (55mm internal height) as I have a couple of metres behind me and could probably sorted something with Gerard, but looks like he need the 2U version. If people look on the Lincoln Binns gallery you can see loads of examples of enclosures built with this stuff and they do look very smart and professional, erring on the side of industrial stylistically.

Yeah, sorry about that.

I didn’t think the LB enclosures were too expensive tbh. The two large cases I bought were seventy quid for the pair and sitting on the rack they look fine. I’m going to make some thicker front plates for mine that sit on top of the original plate. The knobs will look recessed then. I’ll bung some pics on this evening.

Gerard, it’s going on your rack so it must be pleasing to you so buy what suits you. As long as the height inside the box is enough and the front to back dimensions are ok we can make it work.

I've used a variant of these and been happy with it:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/27220207...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Worth noting I have also successfully cut them down to make them shorter with a bandsaw.

I know your getting to money, but I'd be awfully tempted to this and cut the depth down to just over half.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/27407092...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Yeah, pot extenders will mean you can just move everything to the back. How tall are the transformers?

EDIT: I like this case too:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/27391551...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
When I built the first phono stage I cut a shoebox case in half and made a pair of mini chrome bumpers :) I welded aluminium strips to each half of the sled and they went to the back. I did another exactly the same but after that I couldn’t afford to cut up any more shoeboxes so I went with the Lincoln Binns enclosures. I was in the process of having some ally sheet laser cut and making my own enclosures but then I was laid off and lost my access to the machine shop :(

I like all those cases, I don't think the 2 with the knobs will work because wiring length dictates layout from left to right will need to be be Knob - Transformer - Knob - Transformer

I've used a variant of these and been happy with it:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/27220207...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Worth noting I have also successfully cut them down to make them shorter with a bandsaw.

I know your getting to money, but I'd be awfully tempted to this and cut the depth down to just over half.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/27407092...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Yeah, pot extenders will mean you can just move everything to the back. How tall are the transformers?

EDIT: I like this case too:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/27391551...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
When I built the first phono stage I cut a shoebox case in half and made a pair of mini chrome bumpers :) I welded aluminium strips to each half of the sled and they went to the back. I did another exactly the same but after that I couldn’t afford to cut up any more shoeboxes so I went with the Lincoln Binns enclosures. I was in the process of having some ally sheet laser cut and making my own enclosures but then I was laid off and lost my access to the machine shop :(

Sorry to hear you was laid off

Gerard, it’s going on your rack so it must be pleasing to you so buy what suits you. As long as the height inside the box is enough and the front to back dimensions are ok we can make it work.

Thank you that's great to know, I'm going to have a good look at cases online before deciding on one - once it's done it's done!

advertisement

Back