advertisement

Ideas for improving the appearance of Promitheus Pre Amplifier

Gerard124

Tempus fugit, memento mori
Looking for ideas of how I could improve the appearance of a Promitheus TVC Pre amp?

The one I have is very similar to the one featured in this thread:

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/to...sformer-volume-control-tvc-preamp-4-in-2-out/

Hifi Collective have plenty of nice OEM controls knobs that I could use to replace the awful original wooden ones.

Is it possible vinyl wrap it?

or

Apply some sort of black wood colour?

I would like to replace the unsightly cross headed bolts in the top plate with something neater (not sure how I would measure source an alternative of correct size).

Oh god that is truly ugly

Short of gouging your eyes out with a spoon you could re-case it completely?

Or vinyl wrap is a possibility ... though having helped wrap a couple of cars , I would say that it's probably not the easiest thing to do...

What about putting the whole box in a slightly larger one and putting your new knobs on the outside? That would help

I've ordered some tidy silver knobs from HiFi Collective, considering painting the wooden enclosure a flat matt black.

Don't fancy putting in a new enclosure I'm too hamfisted.

Your right it's God awful ugly!

I've ordered some tidy silver knobs from HiFi Collective, considering painting the wooden enclosure a flat matt black.

I think I’d go for a rough textured structure-coat type finish rather than flat as a flat finish will show every imperfection, of which there appear to be many.

PS To be honest I’d just re-case it or pay someone else to do it.

I think I’d go for a rough textured structure-coat type finish rather than flat as a flat finish will show every imperfection, of which there appear to be many.

PS To be honest I’d just re-case it or pay someone else to do it.

Would I be able to pick up a pre-drilled case? (I think there are 6 pairs or RCAs on back and would be 2 holes on front for volume and input selector)

Have a search on eBay, e.g. something like this may do if it was tall enough. I’m sure others here will have alternative sources, it’s not an area I know as I don’t scratch-build. The only thing I’ve built from scratch was a very simple passive in a tupperware case!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Agreed! I’ve always felt the Prometheus stuff was almost deliberately ugly, I have no idea how you get wood to look like that!

PS I bet there are people here with pillar-drills etc if you needed something drilling neatly.

Would I be able to pick up a pre-drilled case? (I think there are 6 pairs or RCAs on back and would be 2 holes on front for volume and input selector)

If you picked up a suitable enclosure I’d be happy to sort it for you. Drilling the holes in not an issue for me.

Wouldn't be so bad if the internals were mounted to the metal plate with bolts and the wooden bit left 'unmolested'.
Maybe you could do this, fill the screw-holes and either veneer (grooves FFS) or paint. Couple of nice metal knobs and Fred's your aunt Fanny's gigolo.
(Ooops, I see that you need to mount everything inside before replacing the lid)

Wouldn't be so bad if the internals were mounted to the metal plate with bolts and the wooden bit left 'unmolested'.
Maybe you could do this, fill the screw-holes and either veneer (grooves FFS) or paint. Couple of nice metal knobs and Fred's your aunt Fanny's gigolo.
(Ooops, I see that you need to mount everything inside before replacing the lid)

Just had a look and mine is actually the same as this one listed on US Audio Mart, ie it has a metal top and bottom plate that the transformers are bolted to.

2066946-bc1a089b-promitheus-tvc-preamp-transformer-volume-control.jpg

2066942-fcd4f16e-promitheus-tvc-preamp-transformer-volume-control.jpg

If you picked up a suitable enclosure I’d be happy to sort it for you. Drilling the holes in not an issue for me.

Many thanks Si, if I decide to go with a new case and need holes drilling that would be a massive help :)

Ah, not as bad as I thought then, but still not even 'cottage industry' TBH.
Paint the upper metal piece with black 'crinkle' type paint and replace the knobs with black ones and leave the wood as-is?

advertisement

Back