advertisement

ideas for homemade isolation feet

Squash balls cut in half.

Sticky back rubber things from B&Q/Wilkos. (often used to stop cupboard doors slamming). I used these to isolate glass shelves on a rack.

Sticky back cork feet from B&Q/Wilkos. As above but bigger. Used these on bass of centre speaker on top of cabinet.

I've used round head M6/M8 bolts instead of spikes, for isolation without trashing wooden floor.

I've heard people use partially inflated inner tubes between granite chopping boards.

5679562438_264a7183f0_o.jpg

1970s skateboard wheels and fairly cheap adjustable audiophile cones from ebay sitting in the bearing recesses so I can level the turntable (a Garrard 301 in a slate plinth). I've not compared them with anything so I've no idea how they shape up compared to other solutions, but they seem to work pretty well and certainly attenuate vibration reaching the deck, e.g. tapping the table with the stylus on a stationary record results in very little breakthrough.

As an avid user of the Ebony Isolation feet made by both Shun Mook and Yamamoto Sound Craft since 2003. I've purchased several boards of Ebony through eBay and have made 8 Minpgo Disc to place within my listening space as a sort of room treatment much like the Sugar Cubes being offered through Acoustic System International - as well as Footers underneath my WTA and have found that said clones of both Footers and devices are very effective.

The other wood tone that I've found very effective based upon listening sessions to said projects has been Black Walnut Plugs made to the size of 2" diameter x 1 3/4" high - which seem to focus more musical attention on the areas between the lower midrange to upper treble in a manner that I'd call the second best option in working with tone woods as the only other worthwhile alternative to spikes/cones or what have you?.

In my over 30 years of doing this - I'm very very very taken with wood as Isolation Devices more so then any metal alloy spikes I've ever heard to date - and I'm talking about taking the time to have auditioned 13 different makes back in 2004 before coming to this conclusion.

To my ears/senses wood offers a more natural - organic sound as opposed to placing an emphasis upon a fake sense of extended highs, just for the sake of resolution. I much prefer a more natural - spacious - balanced sound that actually enhances the music while drawing ones attention away from the electronics themselves and have me focusing more on the musical aspect of what's going on within the notes themselves.

Just my take on the subject.

Regards,
o_O scar

If you want to avoid paying audiophile prices just search in Google for "industrial isolation feet", that should give you some ideas. I quite like conveyor feet such as these:
ALL%20STAINLESS%20304%20GRADE.gif

Since recently getting into motorbikes, I've discovered something called 'crash bobbins'. These are round cylinders of funny poly plastic rubber-ish material stick on side of bikes and protect it, in case you hit the deck. They're fairly rigid, but have a tiny bit of play, so should probably absorb some vibration. So they may well make pretty good isolation feet too.

images

They come in all sorts of different shapes/sizes, about £30 a pair. Some are quite long mind, could probably cut them in half. Just a thought, not tried them.

advertisement

Back