advertisement

I'd like to repair the 5 volt input on my Pre Box S2 digital DAC - please stop me

jamesd

pfm Member
you can see the 5v input here:

pro-ject-s2-digital_10.png

I bought this used, so Pro-ject told me (nicely) to f-off.

It works fine when powered by USB, but if I try to use the 5 volt connection, you have to move the connector tail-up to get it to work. if you wiggle it it will go on and off.

I'd like to pop the case open and see if i can......bend the input jack back to shape? Does that sound reasonable or is there something else going on here?

The micro-USB jack is probably either damaged or has come loose from the PCB. If so, fixing it means replacing that jack. Depending on your soldering skills, the difficulty of this ranges from easy to impossible.

Open the case and take a picture of the connector. Maybe we'll be able to see what's wrong.

It's not clear to me that that link shows you anything useful.

Depending on exactly what's currently fitted, it might be easier to fit a barrel connector instead of the micro USB. Much more robust, barrel connectors

Sounds like dry soldered joints on the mini USB or a connection come away from the soldering altogether. It can only really be this or a knackered mini USB socket really.

Depending on exactly what's currently fitted, it might be easier to fit a barrel connector instead of the micro USB. Much more robust, barrel connectors

i don't understand why anyone would use this super flimsy connection

Sounds like dry soldered joints on the mini USB or a connection come away from the soldering altogether. It can only really be this or a knackered mini USB socket really.

it's unlikely that the thin metal surrounding of the input jack has been stretched open too wide? I thought it might be the case since I can insert the male part, tail up and it will work.

but, i also know nothing about electronics

i don't understand why anyone would use this super flimsy connection

On kit like this? You are preaching to a lot of the converted. Mini USB are kack except where you are FORCED to use them.

Anyway, why do you want to use mini USB rather than USB? (Both are 5V supplies BTW.)

The micro USB port on this unit would be surface mounted, they aren’t mechanically robust at all. Changing it for a barrel jack would mean fitting a panel mount jack and just tacking some short flying leads onto the pads on the PCB, certainly, if there is enough space, it’ll prove much more robust in the long run. You won’t find a barrel jack that would just “drop in” in place of the USB port though.

That is a micro USB, supposed to be more robust, are they bollocks. An experienced colleague told me "connectors and software, 99% of all problems, connectors and software".

Carefully drill the panel off centre to the mini USB, fit a flash chrome or SS washer under the barrel, outside, another bod-standard washer inside...……………………...no-one would ever know :)

it's unlikely that the thin metal surrounding of the input jack has been stretched open too wide? I thought it might be the case since I can insert the male part, tail up and it will work.

but, i also know nothing about electronics
“Tail up” is likely pushing the contacts down onto the pads, in which case, some fine solder, a bit of flux and a steady hand with a fine tipped iron would have it fixed in a few minutes (including strip down and reassembly). If you’re not confident, I can do it for you, or indeed fit a barrel jack as suggested by Vinny.

Carefully drill the panel off centre to the mini USB, fit a flash chrome or SS washer under the barrel...……………………...no-one would ever know :)
Definitely, provided there’s sufficient room above/below the PCB, which there should be... you’ll need a decent drill bit though, the cases on those little Pro-Ject boxes are very, very robust indeed... unlike that USB connector.

That is a micro USB, supposed to be more robust, are they bollocks. An experienced colleague told me "connectors and software, 99% of all problems, connectors and software".
They’re crap, I’ve seen many, many mangled ones, and some not at all mangled but detached from the PCB, sometimes taking the pads with them (as was the case with a backup drive of mine).

Go at it carefully and slowly, as you say, if there is room, with a taper bit, you should be able to get there. If there is room to avoid damaging anything.

Because it's cheap and widely available. Surface-mount micro-B connectors cost 15p apiece in bulk. A barrel connector is 40-50p.
I doubt they even cost that much buddy, probably a lot less. I’ve never bought them in bulk but 15p is actually quite a lot in bulk buy terms for a little connector like that. Sometimes they’re used because the entire device uses SMD construction, however that’s not the case with this DAC because the rest of the connectors are through hole, they should have used a barrel jack, other “box” series components do.

advertisement

Back