advertisement

Iceland volcano.

We had a good time when we visited a few years ago.

We wouldn’t go again though, a week was enough.

The last time a volcano went off and sent all that ash up, my The Wife was supposed to be flying to New York. Flight cancelled before boarding, Wife and her friend very annoyed. Glad I wasn’t there. :)

I have a fab 1950’s - 60’s corduroy hat that I got from a charity store in Reykjavik.

This image appeared on my Twitter feed. A beautiful scene.

I saw that picture on the BBC I think, I don't know whether to think silly buggers of jammy buggers! Not something you see every day, certainly worth seeing.

We were on a beach near San Ferdinando in Italy when Stromboli erupted in 2019, that was something else even from 30 - 40 miles away

I saw that picture on the BBC I think, I don't know whether to think silly buggers of jammy buggers! Not something you see every day, certainly worth seeing.

We were on a beach near San Ferdinando in Italy when Stromboli erupted in 2019, that was something else even from 30 - 40 miles away

Look up Pliny the Younger's account of the the Vesuvius eruption in 79AD. He was 30km or so away, and they had it all, ash falling thick enough that it was as dark as night, the sea receding suddenly to leave fish behind on the sand, astonishing stuff, and of course best of all, his first hand account survives. This was the event that killed his uncle, (Pliny the Elder).

Here's a translation of his two letters about it: https://igppweb.ucsd.edu/~gabi/sio15/lectures/volcanoes/pliny.html

Look up Pliny the Younger's account of the the Vesuvius eruption in 79AD. He was 30km or so away, and they had it all, ash falling thick enough that it was as dark as night, the sea receding suddenly to leave fish behind on the sand, astonishing stuff, and of course best of all, his first hand account survives. This was the event that killed his uncle, (Pliny the Elder).

Here's a translation of his two letters about it: https://igppweb.ucsd.edu/~gabi/sio15/lectures/volcanoes/pliny.html

what a great read, thanks for sharing :)

advertisement

Back