advertisement

Ice cream makers

thanks. are you using these recipes?
I've done the Salted Butter Caramel and the Vanilla (in a Sage machine) and both were bloody delicious, the salted caramel especially, but it is a bit more involved. I did have a bit of a disaster the 2nd time around, adding too much salt and taking the caramel too far / too dark, so that it was bitter. Salty, bitter ice cream served up to old friends to whom I'd faithfully promised "at least as good as Haagen-Daz" :D
As with any cooking, best ingredients yada, yada...so a dried out vanilla pod that's been in the back of the cupboard for years won't cut it. Amazon is great for premium, fat, fresh vanilla pods.

We have this, utterly brilliant and on our second one - the first lasted over ten years.It gets used regularly but by my wife not me though.

Cuisinart Gelato and Ice Cream Maker - Silver https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ARETWDK/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Vanilla, strawberry (you virtually need to let the strawberries rot) and coconut are my favourites.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Vanilla, strawberry (you virtually need to let the strawberries rot) and coconut are my favourites.
That's where we are spoilt in manufacturing, we buy frozen produce in cases like this, to a specification, overripe as you like. Then again, we are particularly skilled at fouling up the process control. We can burn caramel as well as anyone else, and leaving out an ingredient is a speciality. Bonus points for putting in stuff that shouldn't be there, and the joys of a FSA recall if it's an allergen.

I am making progress. Unless you know what you are doing, don't underestimate the importance of cream for the flavour and the texture. Less cream seems to allow more iciness. And if the mix does not taste great, the ice cream process is not going to turn it from tasting like ass to tasting badass.

Made a great banana ice cream today.

It sounds like reinventing the wheel Rich.
There is actual science behind great ice-cream, and that relates to ratios of fat, water, alcohol, sugar, protein etc. One of the good recipe books will explain all.

I have used extra thick double jersey cream to make a chocolate ice-cream...……………… fresh from the freezer it was like concrete because it contained more fat than ideal - totally impossible to penetrate with anything except a pick-axe or hammer drill. Allowed to warm just a little, you could eventually get servings out, at normal eating temperature, well, one of the best ice-creams that I have ever eaten...……...and I am no huge fan of chocolate ice-cream, but it was with mint ice-cream made from fresh spearmint...……...

It sounds like reinventing the wheel Rich.
There is actual science behind great ice-cream, and that relates to ratios of fat, water, alcohol, sugar, protein etc. One of the good recipe books will explain all.

I have used extra thick double jersey cream to make a chocolate ice-cream...……………… fresh from the freezer it was like concrete because it contained more fat than ideal - totally impossible to penetrate with anything except a pick-axe or hammer drill. Allowed to warm just a little, you could eventually get servings out, at normal eating temperature, well, one of the best ice-creams that I have ever eaten...……...and I am no huge fan of chocolate ice-cream, but it was with mint ice-cream made from fresh spearmint...……...
It's true. Either you get your buzz out of experimentation or research. I have two young kids in the foreground here. Reading books about it is not going to help them maintain interest. Chucking stuff in to see what happens is the winner.

Just face it, you are incompetent at the ice cream, so make some fruity, sorbets - raspberry, melon something sweet the anklebiters will love.

Just face it, you are incompetent at the ice cream, so make some fruity, sorbets - raspberry, melon something sweet the anklebiters will love.
Come on, sorbet is a poor mans ice cream. When I throw the towel in on the proper stuff, I will try sorbet.

Come on, sorbet is a poor mans ice cream. When I throw the towel in on the proper stuff, I will try sorbet.

you are way way wrong......sorbet is what they serve in Michelin starred restaurants, icecream is MacD's

last time my niece and Nephew (early teens) were over we made blood orange sorbet and they loved it.

just had an amazing Crème fraîche ice cream as a side to portion of sticky toffee pudding. The edge of sourness countered the sweetness of the pudding.

I am sure youd have no difficulty in getting Crème fraîche in your part of the EU

If no one else has mentioned it, just use a bowl and wooden spoon, and of course a freezer, I also have a bread maker, its called an oven.

advertisement

Back