advertisement

IC Cap For SUT/Headamp

Vinny

pfm Member
Cap' of the tonearm cable for MM cart's is important. Is it for the out side of a SUT or headamp, or does it depend on the step-up device?

What is a low cap' cable? 50pF/m? Less?

At first I interpreted that as "does tonearm cable capacitance matter for an MC cart?" NO! being the answer. I think you mean the cable between SUT/headamp and MM stage though... Generally unimportant, especially with headamps. With SUT's everything is potentially a PITA when it comes to matching/optimum response etc but I wouldn't worry about the capacitance of 1m of cable no matter what capacitance it is. Yes 50pF/m would be a low capacitance coax. To be sure matching is spot on with SUT would need quite a bit of test gear and knowledge and is usually ignored I guess... They are a wide bandwidth audio transformer and in most cases will only give their flattest response with minimum ringing on a square wave into a specific load which can vary a lot between transformers and can even need Zobel network etc on the secondary.

I’ve tried a few with mine, differences were same to line level changes Of IC to be honest (is; not fantastically great :)).

advertisement

Back