advertisement

Ibuprofen

In the States you can get Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen (paracetamol) combined with caffeine in an OTC migraine medication - Excedrin Migraine. I have been a migraine sufferer for over 40 years. If I catch one early enough, I can sometimes forgo the opioids if I take an Advil, a Tylenol and wash it down with a caffeine containing cola.

Excedrin Migraine is not available in Canukistan.

Question: Why do we call it Acetaminophen in NA, but Paracetamol in the UK? I always thought that the sciencey name was the correct one, but brand named Advil, Tylenol etc, so why the two sciencey names, and what if anything is the correct one?

Point being, I think, that attempted suicide by Paracetemol overdose may in many cases be a spur of the moment crisis thing, not premeditated. So in those situations, somebody is likely to only have one packet or so in the house. Of course, if you're planning suicide by Paracetemol O/D you could stock up after a bit of effort, but making it a bit of effort might just reduce the actual instances a little bit. Which is nice.

Question: Why do we call it Acetaminophen in NA, but Paracetamol in the UK? I always thought that the sciencey name was the correct one, but brand named Advil, Tylenol etc, so why the two sciencey names, and what if anything is the correct one?

No idea, they are both generic names but the chemical entity correct name is para-acetylaminophenol

In the US the wife has bought a tub of 1000 for $29 over the counter. AFAIK you can buy as many tubs as you like if 1000 is not enough!

Yes, the US attitude to the availability of legalised drugs has resulted in 400,000 deaths over the last ten years through opioid drugs like OxyContin, that’s about twice the number of deaths due to the atomic bombing of Japan or a hundred and thirty times the number of people killed in 911, in a crazy world this one stands out.

From my experiences with the NHS, Paracetamol is the drug of choice. I don't think I've ever been given Ibuprofen.
I have, it's Rung 2 on the pain ladder in the hospital.
Rung 1 - take 2 paracetamol.
If the patient is still whining after 30 mins, to to Rung 2 - 2 ibuprofen.
If this works, happy days.
If not and the patient is still whining, Rung 3 - morphine.

a dentist friend of mine loves morphine for its analgesic effect and absence of physiological effects. He sums it up as "it still hurts, but you don't give a s**t any more."

What happened to co codamol, codeine or tramadol before morphine?

Ibuprofen is largely an anti inflammatory. I find it next to useless for alleviating my arthritis. Naproxen however does work.

I have a problem shoulder. When it flares up I've normally used naproxen, but lately I've found that the paracetamol-ibuprofen combo works just as well, if not better.

Not a fan of opiates except as emergency cough suppressants. Gees Linctus works very well in this capacity.

Ibuprofen is largely an anti inflammatory. I find it next to useless for alleviating my arthritis. Naproxen however does work.
still used, especially in non hospital situations. In my case I was in hospital so they could supervise me taking it.

After my brain haemorrhage in 2010 I’m left with monumental headaches at times. The Neurofen/paracetamol combination sorts them in no time.

Tramadol is a beast! Avoid at all costs if you’re prone to addictions!

True. I have severe backache episodes (two hernias) and had Tramadol for two months last year. I did finish my prescrition but will never go back there I think. Trouble is, paracetamol and Ibuprofen have zero effect on my pain. Codeine a little better, perhaps.

I had a patient die after taking 15 paracetamol tablets in one go.
Too much misinformation on this thread to call out each bit of rubbish.
Generally speaking, two paracetamol tablets, taken up to four times in 24 hours, will do no harm to any adult.
There are no other analgesics for which the same can be said.

That's pretty horrific and why I avoid it and use Ibuprofen.

A good dose at the first sign of gout with plenty of water works well.

I was on paracetamol, ibuprofen and tramadol for a while a few years ago. topped it up with a bottle of red as required.

I read The Luminaries that year and can honestly say I can't remember a bit of it.

tell me about it!
4 years on.
2 years hell getting off.

There was a stink about this in the US that got the sweep it under the carpet treatment. Apparently, Tramadol was an effort to provide narcotic pain relief without euphoria. But then people taking it for awhile noticed withdrawal symptoms matching or exceeding opiates. I took it off and on for a couple of months years ago, and though I didn't suffer withdrawals, I never took it without getting a headache. Horrible pain reliever.

Naproxen is also excellent for burning a hole in your stomach. I have a hiatus hernia so Naproxen is a definite no-no

advertisement

Back