advertisement

Ian Curtis Mcr mural 'obliterated' with Rapper Aitch's new album artwork

Gerard124

Tempus fugit, memento mori
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-62574947

Akse P19's iconic image of Ian Curtis in the cities Northern Quarter has been completely painted over with the artwork for Rapper Aitch's new album.

The mural of the singer, was put up for World Mental Health Day in 2020.

Absolutely, outrageous behaviour.

_126349523_mural.jpg

yes not nice, clearly the agents working for Aitch did this.

I doubt Aitch himself asked for this, in fact he has said he would never have asked for this to be done, and will pay to have it restored.

So, that property must be owned by somebody and I presume that the people who painted over the Curtis mural had permission from whoever that is? Someone is doing the famous Homer Simpson disappearing into a bush impression.

I wasn’t aware of Aske P19, I really like his work. The Tony Wilson one is fantastic.

I wish there was more stuff like this around.

Used to go past one of Alvin Stardust in Heywood, GT Manchester on the way to my Grans, it was crude compared to the modern stuff but I loved it as a kid.

Cheers BB

I wasn’t aware of Aske P19, I really like his work. The Tony Wilson one is fantastic.

I wish there was more stuff like this around.

Used to go past one of Alvin Stardust in Heywood, GT Manchester on the way to my Grans, it was crude compared to the modern stuff but I loved it as a kid.

Cheers BB

I remember that too. A nice piece about the artist here:

https://andydaly.blog/2012/10/16/stardust-in-rochdale/

always astounds me that someone can spend months on a work that can just be paineted over and no-one gives a monkeys.

It is just absurd and impossible to do something like that accidentally. I did a fair bit of fly-posting back in the ‘80s. I understand exactly how hard it is to run away from police carrying a bucket full of wallpaper paste and a stack of posters, but there were always unwritten rules to a) never destroy art, and b) never poster over other events that had not yet happened. Everything else was fair game. I find this total blacking out of such a high-profile mural incomprehensible. For something that size and scale many people must have agreed to it. I’ll take the artist’s word that he was unaware of this vandalism and respect that he’ll pay to have it restored, but if I was him I’d be sacking anyone involved.

The Tony Wilson one is fantastic.

1_VCP_MEN_120618_Tony_Wilson_006JPG.jpg

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, it really is superb. Tony has sadly been gone for 15 years this month, such a shame he didn't get to grow old, I guess he would still have plenty to say!

I listened to The Durutti Column's 'A Paen for Wilson' the other week and hearing him comment on the widening wealth gap under Blair towards the end of the album really caught me off my step.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, it really is superb. Tony has sadly been gone for 15 years this month, such a shame he didn't get to grow old, I guess he would still have plenty to say!

I didn’t realise it was as long as that. I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times over the years, always a really nice guy. It is good to see his influence so widely recognised now. He will never not be a celebrated part of Manchester, never be forgotten. That doesn’t make the end anymore infuriating (IIRC he was denied cancer treatment that was working for him because he was in the wrong postcode). The mural is excellent.

I didn’t realise it was as long as that. I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times over the years, always a really nice guy. It is good to see his influence so widely recognised now. He will never not be a celebrated part of Manchester, never be forgotten. That doesn’t make the end anymore infuriating (IIRC he was denied cancer treatment that was working for him because he was in the wrong postcode). The mural is excellent.

Didn’t he rip off the wailers amongst a load of other bands?

advertisement

Back