advertisement

I was never sorted for E’s and Wizz.

mdma arrived in town 1987, but quality was variable.
I first exp' the dance culture via Happy Mondays and New Order, but Hacienda was too far for regular visits.
Fortunately a pal was connected with free party instigators DIY (link), and they regularly put on fine events in SE England.
There was always a vfm supply of pure mdma power at their shindigs, so had many epic nights 1990 onwards.
These events inspired various other free parties too.

mdma has been influencing for longer then I realised e.g. Soft Cell's Non Stop Erotic Cabaret.

listening to ... KLF chill out in the way back

Doing this caused panic on more than one occasion.
The police siren samples sounded very realistic at the time!

I have enjoyed MDMA, but not for a while now. I am not too sure of reliable sources these days.

I never actually went to a rave, came close on the day before xmas eve 1990. The site was closing for xmas and obviously went on the lash with the afternoon/evening with the lads. When I decided to leave, around 11.00pm they were trying to get me to go to a rave near the Elephant and Castle. They explained, they thought I was a good crack and I would enjoy the scene. If it were not for being a father, and 3 young children at home I would have gone. They left me bedraggled in Fleet street after trying to manhandle me down the tube, briefcase strewn across the road. I held on the the railings and would not let go and eventually they gave up. On second thoughts, wish I had gone now and dealt with the rollockings later.

Bloss

I have enjoyed MDMA, but not for a while now. I am not too sure of reliable sources these days.

It (in fact any drug beyond a modicum of wine or a single malt) is not something I’d even contemplate these days. As I understand it MDMA depletes a natural substance in the brain hence the way the first quarter tab one takes equates to one of the best nights of your life, but three years down the path friends were saying three whole tablets don’t really do much. Its very hard to accurately quantify it as I started when the house scene was in its infancy and I suspect the drug quality was vastly superior to where it ended up in the late ‘90s (no idea about today). I’ve always been cautious with drugs and have had a very clear and focused understanding of addiction and its symptoms (I worked as a psych nurse for a while). As such I never did it (or any other drug) regularly, but even so I noticed either my tolerance increasing or the quality decreasing. When I felt one tab and a couple of lines of beak didn’t hit the spot that was my cue to exit entirely. I‘ve not touched anything for twenty years now.

My favourite night was always SpeedQueen at The Warehouse in Leeds. It lost that venue and moved to one nearer the city centre. Sadly the vibe was ruined by the large numbers of townie boys stood on the dance floor sucking larger out of bottles and staring down every girl in the place.

I still miss that night...happy daze.

Mint club used to be a good venue on the right night, nice vibe and mix of people, now closed :( I'll be surprised and sad if (Darren?) the owner doesn't relocate. Never went to the Warehouse funnily enough, I recall seeing the posters around Headingley. Bank holidays during my time in Leeds (2013-2014) were spent at the mint warehouse. Awesome parties.

It (in fact any drug beyond a modicum of wine or a single malt) is not something I’d even contemplate these days. As I understand it MDMA depletes a natural substance in the brain hence the way the first quarter tab one takes equates to one of the best nights of your life, but three years down the path friends were saying three whole tablets don’t really do much. Its very hard to accurately quantify it as I started when the house scene was in its infancy and I suspect the drug quality was vastly superior to where it ended up in the late ‘90s (no idea about today). I’ve always been cautious with drugs and have had a very clear and focused understanding of addiction and its symptoms (I worked as a psych nurse for a while). As such I never did it (or any other drug) regularly, but even so I noticed either my tolerance increasing or the quality decreasing. When I felt one tab and a couple of lines of beak didn’t hit the spot that was my cue to exit entirely. I‘ve not touched anything for twenty years now.

It works as a transporter for dopamine and serotonin plus others I cannot recall. Hence SSRIs and E/MDMA isn't a combo to be consumed.

It works as a transporter for dopamine and serotonin plus others I cannot recall. Hence SSRIs and E/MDMA isn't a combo to be consumed.

I was fortunate enough to be relatively close to the source back then, I only ever partook with MDMA in powder form.

Bloss

I was fortunate enough to be relatively close to the source back then, I only ever partook with MDMA in powder form.

Bloss

this is probably the safest form IME assuming you don't go OTT. I found a weird source in south manchester whereby the woman would open her house for 90 mins from 6pm and people would flood through the door queuing through the entire house. she eventually got caught which wasn't a surprise. impossible to put a % on it but I know it was strong as everyone in the queue raved about it buying as much as they were allowed. I remember a guy asking for several ounces. a few rice sized grains was enough for me consumption wise.

I always cite this as a decent example of doing it proper...

More specifically, and I remember it vividly, I went to Blackpool, I think 1991, maybe. (funny I didn't know what year it was but can remember everything else)
At 7pm we were let in the club. Usually things warm up for a while. But no, right off the warm up dj played one of my favourites so from that point I was dancing on a sofa hanging off a rafter the whole night, non stop.

In the middle I recall Dan Hartman - Relight my Fire (yes that), and the first time I understood why it was rated.

The night finished with two 'top tunes' of the moment. Played twice because we wouldn't leave. Can't recall the second tunes name

Last really great night out in Belfast.....I remember my matey Sam in tears as he thought I'd completely lost the plot. One of the few nights where I was not enhanced lol.

Speaking of temperatures rising I can only recall taking my shirt off in two clubs - The Hac and The No. 1.
:)
The first time I saw Nicky Siano was at Funkademia at the new, expanded No. 1. That was quite a night. I gave the Mrs the red card from the dancefloor at one point and she and me mates' boyfriend were doing the "dead fly" on the banqettes.

The first time I heard of "Hardkiss" was when this album was getting hyped to death in Muzik / Mixmag, and funnily enough, just like the Jeff Mills CD, I bought it in Bristol (my Nan lives in Portishead).

It was a great release - an insight into a completely different scene, in this case West Coast US Psychedelic Breaks - where the first disc was pretty hoofing and the second was more laid back. Altogether very trippy vibes. For me the standout was the first track, "Out Of Body Experience" - the soaring vocal and glittering pianos took it to a different level. No great surprise that it turned up on another Sasha and John Digweed (not married) mix-extraordinaire the next year, on this: Northern Exposure - which clearly showed the direction the pair were heading in terms of the music they were playing.

At that time, they had kind of become irrelevant to me, though I did spend around an hour or so in the "Northern Exposure Room" at the New Years Eve event "Mount Universe" at Alexandra Palace on NYE 1996, out of respect for how they had completely changed my outlook on music. Unfortunately for them, Orbital, The Chemical Brothers, Sven Vath, Gayle San and.....Jeff Mills were playing in other rooms that night.

It was a simply incredible night; so good in fact that I and a few others felt quite depressed in the weeks afterwards because we were worried that we had reached a crescendo in partying that could never be surpassed. For some of them it was probably true. Luckily for me, I found Lost.

A couple of my favourite memories from that night:

- Orbital dropping a Belinda Carlisle acapella of "Heaven Is A Place On Earth" over some shattering breakbeats just before midnight.

- Losing all my friends for some time, but it not really mattering because everyone there was also your friend, all of whom it felt like you'd known for your entire life.

- When Jeff Mills finished at around 8am, hearing FSOL's "Papua New Guinea" drifting in from the adjacent room, Paul Oakenfold playing two copies to close his set. Special moment, and a fitting end to proceedings.

- Emerging from an elevated All Pally, to a snow covered London.

48556403896_b566fae1ff_z.jpg

48556403696_2b18542202_z.jpg

48556543967_dd87d81cfe_z.jpg

48556403361_46e4b70d6a_z.jpg

48556403266_bcf2ede100_z.jpg

48556543577_2b4b75d5b0_z.jpg

I didn't even make it into the film tent!

:D

Big up The Loop (link)

Kids these days don't know how lucky they are, etc.

I was a bit of an anomaly, bearing in mind my job at the time. I clubbed locally a lot from the 80's onwards. Futurist nights at the Horse and Jockey in Mansfield, thru to Digbys, and sometimes off to Nottingham and Derby.

Digbys...

I think I got beaten up by the bouncers at Digbys.

Article about it:

"I wonder out loud if there's any point at all in doing MDMA if you're on antidepressants. Dr Sessa clears it up for me pretty quickly: no. "All you're doing is taking MDMA to just feel hot," he says, "which is a bit crazy, really.""

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....out-mixing-mdma-and-antidepressants-safe-sesh

The really dangerous combination is MOAIs (monoamine oxidase inhibitors) and MDMA

"Certain combinations can cause lethal reactions, common examples including SSRIs, tricyclics, MDMA, meperidine,[28]tramadol, and dextromethorphan.[29] "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoamine_oxidase_inhibitor

advertisement

Back