advertisement

I was never sorted for E’s and Wizz.

i was relatively late to the scene, mid 90's in Liverpool and Manchester. Preferred the smaller night to the superclubs (went to Cream once and was kicked out - don't ask why); Voodoo, Alderaan, Garlands, Tribal Sessions where my favourite nights.

I climbed into the box with Cox at Cream one night in Liverpool....think it was the only night I ever went as I thought it a little too commercial. I lived in Voodoo both at 051 and in Le Bateau......God you've brought back some memories there. I was teacher training and even though I was offered posts in local schools I came back to N.I rather then club myself to an early grave.

I remember when the rot started to set in.... was a "new age traveller" at the time and our festivals were largely the likes of Hawkwind, Here and Now, The Ozric Tentacles, Magic Mushroom Band, Chumbawumba (was amazed when they had a chart hit!) etc plus a fair bit of punk and dub reggae. We called them "cheesy quavers" = ravers...
Loved the E's and whizz etc but hated the "music" as much then at 23 or so as I do now...

Wow some wonderful stories here. :)

I was 17 in 1990 and was either driving around the country with three mates in my mini trying to find outdoor raves with 1,000 other kids listening to LFO frequencies on the way there and KLF chill out in the way back,-

Or DJ-ing at house parties with the likes of DJ Sonic and Tall Paul. DJs unite and Egyptian Empire banging out.

Holy smokes it was a good time to be a ‘teenraver’ I did feel sorry for my parents though, newsnight on the TV set telling them about this new “drug crazed youth” dancing in fields until 4am, .... and then me appearing home at 10am the next morning wide eyed and chewing ferociously with mud up the sides of the bodywork of the mini...

A lot of the music is probably difficult to like if you haven’t heard it in a really good club setting and can remember the atmosphere. The Renaissance Sasha/Digweed album mentioned by farfromthesun is a classic and I use it in the gym. Wasn’t a regular clubber but a few good nights at The End, Fcommunications night with Laurent Garnier was amazing, Tunnel Club, The Rocket, Return to the Source and Escape from Samsara at the Fridge.

A very funny clip from Simon Peggs series Spaced, SE01E06, is below and actually gets a lot of what it was like spot on.

One of my fave rave tracks is this one, Narcotic Influence from Empirion.

Had a few nights when I was sorted for E's and Wizz. Given I worked as a music journalist from 1982 until 1998, this isn't perhaps surprising. Funnily enough when Happy Mondays headlined Glastonbury in 1990, I sorted them out with 30 or 40 E's. I was convinced MDMA and acid gave people spiritual experiences. :)

On their coach backstage, Bez bit into one and said "Nah Jack, these are speed and acid." "There are very few E's around," I explained, "and I got them from somebody associated with Flowered Up." Bez took them from me, but I am sure I walked off £50 short. There again I was out of it ... and so was he, maybe. Hah.

Whatever the capsules were, they kept me up for three nights and I delivered my copy to the printers in London on Monday morning.

I first experienced house a bit later than a couple of other people who worked for NME, namely Richard Norris who formed The Grid with Dave Ball, and journalist Paolo Hewitt. The latter told me I'd enjoy Ibiza, because the clubs were now full of hippies on acid and MDMA. He seemed almost shocked by this. I'd been interviewing people like Sonic Youth, The Red Hot Chill Peppers and My Bloody Valentine, but started hitting acid house clubs in London and around the country.

From Future at Heaven and The Trip, though Solaris, Shoom and Love Ranch, to the Hacienda, Blackburn, Cream and Glasgow, I drove around trying to find the best musical and chemical highs in clubs, warehouses and squats. Luckily I could for the most part get in for free, because I was writing about the scene. I also went clubbing on E's in Ibiza, Rimini, Barcelona, Madrid, Reykjavik, Berlin, Amsterdam and other cities. One of the most memorable being dancing in Berlin the weekend the Wall came down.

As the scene took off there was an increasing crossover between rock and club culture. Some of the highlights included 12" singles by Happy Mondays, The Stone Roses and New Order, plus Primal Scream's Higher Than The Sun and the Screamadelica album. I'd sometimes go with these musicians to clubs or bump into them at illegal parties, like The Kitchen in Manchester's Hulme Crescent. The latter consisted of two or three flats linked together by knocked through walls. After the Hacienda closed there'd be musicians from New Order, Happy Mondays and other bands, there off their trolleys.

Along the way I interviewed DJs and bands involved with the scene. They included Andrew Weatherall, Paul Oakenfold, Carl Cox, Mike Pickering, The Woodentops, The Orb, Happy Mondays, Jimmy Cauty and Bill Drummond from the KLF, 808 State, The Shamen ... uh lots of people.

I had a somewhat unhealthy appetite for E's and Wizz and turned into a full on drug addict/alcoholic. Luckily I got clean at the end of 1994. Funnily enough I went to Berlin while I was in secondary treatment to write a piece about the Love Parade and some of the newish clubs in Berlin like Planet and E-Werk. I wasn't tempted to use though. I'd had enough.

Others weren't so lucky. Flowered Up's singer Liam Maher died from an overdose in 2009 followed by his guitarist brother Joe three years later. I used to live on the same estate as them when they started doing gigs and recording. Throb from Primal Scream, who I spent some wild nights with, died from drink a couple of years ago and I went to his funeral.

Jeremy Deller's BBC documentary, Everybody In the Place, about acid house and the political and media backlash it created is spot on. He's a very perceptive man. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episo...ace-an-incomplete-history-of-britain-19841992

The idea of being pilled up and driving a car full of people around the M25 to find a party or rave, well I am surprised we're still alive. The culture of smileys was a bit of a laugh though.

Jack

I got into a club for the first time when I was 15 - in 1993. This was Raquels, in Basildon - made infamous due to the death of Leah Betts in 1995 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Leah_Betts).

We were under age, so obviously it was very exciting but it opened up a new world which has basically formed the basis of my entire life ever since. I would go every week - taking my £16.80 budget - £6 entry, £1.80 bottle of water and £10 for, let's call it "recreation." The music was basically house and a little bit of breakbeat / hardcore stuff that had a really strong scene in and around SE Essex at the time - I still have some of the rare early hardcore records and they go for an absolute fortune on Discogs (though I would never sell them.)

Here's a couple of absolute favourites. The first samples Duran Duran and the second one is a perfect combination of rave piano's, breakbeats, stabs, vocal samples and with a stupendous bassline.

House wise, they would be playing all of the pop style house (Bucketheads, Livin' Joy etc) with more underground (proto) progressive house.

Carried on doing this for a while, and then when I was at college, this came out: hhttps://www.discogs.com/Sasha-John-Digweed-Renaissance-The-Mix-Collection/release/100874

I was still pretty green, and thought that Sasha and John Digweed were a married couple. :D

If you read the comments on the Discogs page you can get a good idea of how important this release actually was. I still love this album. Sasha and Digweed showcased the absolute best - and actually fairly diverse - house music available at the time and provided a lesson in set programming that still beats most commercially available mix CD's released ever since. It still gives me goosebumps. The piano riffs of Moonchild's "VOAT" and subsequent transition into Sunscreem's "Perfect Motion" is 15 minutes of music that could be argued to sum up what it felt like to be in the middle of an ecstatic dancefloor, sweating, overcome by sound, surrounded by friends and feeling nothing but joy - a level of escapism that could not be replicated any other way.

This album inspired me to become a DJ, and so our exploits stepped up a notch. We started going to London.

First London club I went to was the Leisure Lounge on Chancery Lane. It was a big step up from Raquels. The place was bigger, the sound was bigger and better, and it was even more hedonistic. I was in my element. We started to attend events like Megadog at Brixton Academy - more like a mini festival than a club - some of the artists that would play are detailed here: https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/banco-de-gaia.230432/

I found myself getting more and more drawn into the drum loops and sections between the piano riffs, the vocals; getting more hooked into the groove than with the more obvious parts of a song. One jaunt up to London (a gang of us from Basildon would hire a minibus there and back) saw us arrive in Wandsworth, to visit Club UK. A mate knew someone who was DJ'ing and so we got in for nothing. More money for other things. :)

This is where I learned that the drum loops and more percussive stuff was actually called "Techno". It was another life changing moment. We basically didn't go anywhere else. Friday nights were Club UK and Final Frontier. I cannot really describe what it felt like to be in the middle of the dancefloor, hearing the most amazing, futuristic and far out music. It invoked a state of mind and a feeling that you never wanted to end.

Club UK: https://www.originalhouse.org/index.php/livesets2/uk/itemlist/category/97-club-uk-wandsworth

It was ecstatic and couldn't have been any better....

...or so I thought. The first time that I heard Jeff Mills play, some time in 1994 at Club UK took things to a whole new level. He was faster. he was louder. He did things that nobody else could do, and around that time he made most of the other DJ's seem average. He was our go-to DJ - he blew our minds and further escalated the DJ'ing hobby which was becoming a way of life, and not just some hobby borne out of a desire to emulate someone else.

In 1995, he released this: https://www.discogs.com/Jeff-Mills-Live-At-The-Liquid-Room-Tokyo/release/9459

It was, and still is, the best commercial mix CD ever released, bar none (not even Renaissance). It captured Mills, warts and all, doing his thing in a Japanese nigh club complete with bonkers crowd noises. (I was sold my copy of this CD in a record shop in Bristol, by none other than darrell_giant from this parish). It instantly become the blueprint, the go to record for techno. There was nothing like it; raw, loud, funky as hell and a snapshot of a moment in time that I hoped would live on perpetuity. There's a great recent review of it here: https://patternburst.wordpress.com/2019/07/24/the-long-player-jeff-mills-live-at-the-liquid-room/

Jeff Mills is, in my opinion, the greatest DJ to have ever lived. Nobody comes close to his vision, his delivery, nor his ability. Anyone who argues or disagrees probably didn't manage to catch him play during the mid 1990's when was simply untouchable, destroying dancefloors and injecting new levels of excitement into music, DJ'ing and clubbing that took clubs worldwide beyond anywhere they'd been up until he appeared.

At The End, on 12th February 1997, I watched him play from mere feet away. The DJ booth at The End was at dancefloor level, right in the middle of the room. Every clubbing experience I had had up until this point was subsumed by the three hour long epiphany that I had that night. It's one thing to hear the music coming out of the speakers, it's an entirely different thing to see exactly what is being done to make it sound like that, and watching Jeff Mills that night was simply an electrifying, life changing experience. Utterly mindblowing. The notion of playing one record after the other was completely demolished.

Our love for Mills inevitably led to us attending the best Techno party that's ever existed - Lost. It was the ultimate party for the techno enthusiast. Held in obscure locations - my first was in an enormous warehouse at Royal Victoria Docks - with superb sound systems, no decor, subtle lights and mindblowing music. After I started going to Lost, I didn't bother with anything else. There was basically no point. Nothing came close. The atmosphere was electric, and that's down to the fact that the crowd was extremely passionate, and knowledgeable. It was basically me x 1000. The significance of the party is nicely put in this article from several years ago: https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/1298

Mills relationship with Lost is elegantly summed up in this paragraph:

He's still going, well into his 50's, the rest still trailing in his wake.

https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/3436

My clubbing experiences have petered out in recent years, mostly due to having kids and moving away from London, but because those seminal years between 1993 and around 2008 will never be surpassed. I was involved with promoting a few parties (Flux being one - we had an Underground Resistance event in early 00's) plus I organised some pretty big events in Czech Republic of all places.

There's very little happening in the techno scene now that hasn't been done before, door policies at places like Berghain are the complete anti ethos of what dance music is all about - which should be inclusion, escapaism, and unity.

I still DJ now - having played a fair bit in the UK and across Europe "back in the day", and try very hard to dig out new music, but there is a lot of soul less, doom laden rubbish that appears to be in vogue but doesn't capture any of the excitement or sensibilities that underpin the origins of Techno. I do my best here: https://soundcloud.com/farfromthesun

I realise I have gone on quite a bit and have written one of the longest forum posts of all time. But perhaps that goes some way to answering your original query? All of these words go a little way towards summing up what it all means, and the memories that will live long, for someone who considers themselves fortunate enough to have experienced some of the things depicted in the BBC series.
Fantastic post, and as one who missed out on that whole scene due to being too old and living in rural Spain at the time I shall have a listen to all your links. Thank you!

... a level of escapism that could not be replicated any other way...

... I cannot really describe what it felt like to be in the middle of the dancefloor, hearing the most amazing, futuristic and far out music. It invoked a state of mind and a feeling that you never wanted to end....

That is bang on.

I too was lucky enough to see Jeff Mills at least a good 15 times (he was a regular in my local club during the 90's)
I can only describe him to be a maestro of techno. He used to drive the crowd wild just by using a Roland TR 909 drum machine.
Plastikman and Carl Craig (aka Paperclip People) were also genius.

I am far too old too consider it anything but utter dross.

I have however just returned from the Puccini opera festival in Torre del Largo, Italy.

Turning 55 in October this year and though I still know the guys in Belfast putting the club nights on and have usually free access if I want it I rarely go......Belfast kids now would have me arrested.

I do however visit Berlin most years and with always spend some time in Tresor, Ritter Butzke, Berghain and [i.p.s.e] etc.....As long as you can stand up they don't give a hoot what age you are......yeeeeeooooo.

When I started going to clubs they wouldn’t let you in if you weren’t wearing a tie and a jacket. How times have changed.

That is bang on.

I too was lucky enough to see Jeff Mills at least a good 15 times (he was a regular in my local club during the 90's)
I can only describe him to be a maestro of techno. He used to drive the crowd wild just by using a Roland TR 909 drum machine.
Plastikman and Carl Craig (aka Paperclip People) were also genius.

bang on indeed. I hope you're keeping well Conan.

There are some fantastic contributions here I can relate to very well. I saw Plastikman at Amnesia in Ibiza and was completely blown away. Shame they overcrowded the place by 300% ... I would have enjoyed it even more. Ibiza is highly overrated IMO. And over priced. Maybe I went to the wrong places and parties.

As before, Berlin is a much better experience for me ... and where I’ll be spending November this year :) Club der Visionaere is superb during the summer. DJs often turn up without notice, dance in the crowd and get behind the tiny booth. I found entry to Berghain fine going solo. Stag groups have very little chance of entry and it's a shame. I spent my 30th birthday in there 6 years ago. Managed over 18 hours which is weak compared to some regs, better than any therapy I've had to date. The sound system is incredible, I'd go as far to say it's unparalleled. All false morals out of the window. No phones, and it's true; anyone can get laid at anytime. Not sure I fancy Svens russian roulette parties tho!!

What's great is that you can wake up on a Sunday and go party until lunch Monday. There are literally thousands of events each year so always an option somewhere no matter what day and time. I didn't want to leave having spent several months there, it was during the early stages of self employment so figured it wouldn't be a good move in the long run.

Robert Johnson's club in Frankfurt is another gem with awesome sound, Martin audio IIRC. I have flown there from Portugal a few times to see the likes of Zip and Dixon. The general club and festival scene is very average here compared, I rarely bother.

Keep the great stories coming folks.

Can someone explain to this Luddite exactly what the DJ does?

.sjb
As with a radio DJ, it boils down to content curation. You have to have the tunes, and there's great rivalry to play tunes that no one else has, that you've spent hours hunting down. Some DJs make their own music and press records (back in the day) so that only they had them. With a club DJ you are right in front of the punters, so you can really see and feel how they are reacting to the music. You're responsible for taking them on a journey. You really do lose yourself on the dance floor when being transported appropriately. Same goes for any genre of music - you can't just put one record on after another. The tunes have to be spot on, and the atmosphere has to build and flow.

With the likes of Jeff Mills it goes way beyond that as he creates new music on the fly by mixing up to three records at any given point, constantly bringing parts in and out, building new rhythms and textures etc. Amazing stuff.

advertisement

Back