advertisement

I think it has finally made 'click' with Clara Haskil

Cheese

Bitter lover
After desperately trying for decades. I had given up.

Currently listening to Schubert D960, after Scarlatti sonatas. The latter were, I thought, Horowitz territory. They were, but he wasn't alone.

Mozart sonatas equally wonderful. I am currently grazing Spotify in search of other gems. I could imagine her pretty competent with Brahms Intermezzi etc.

You can explain what made the appeal of Horowitz' playing (sound, virtuosity, charm), Richter (strength, space, intensity, drama, soul), Rubinstein (sound, charm, beauty), Arrau (culture, sound), Kempff (tradition, aristocracy) or Argerich (impetus). All in my opinion of course.

But - a bit similarly to Lipatti or Horszowski - I struggle explaining what is so good about Clara Haskil. What she does sounds just 'right' somehow. Let's say that her playing is of absolute beauty, but a beauty which doesn't compare to anything I've ever heard before.

Hours and hours of listening ahead, I can see that.

Last edited:
I enjoyed some Mozart sonatas by these old time pianists last week - Horowitz in 333, Haskil in 280 and Lipatti in 310. Especially the 333.

A couple of other Haskil recordings you may enjoy: the Schumann op 1 Abegg Variations and the Mozart D minor concerto with Hindemith conducting the orchestra. The Mozart sonatas with Grumiaux seem to me to make the violin too prominent at the expense of the piano, unfortunately.

The Mozart sonatas with Grumiaux seem to me to make the violin too prominent at the expense of the piano, unfortunately.
Oh I didn’t notice this, maybe because Grumiaux is my favourite violinist ? An artist in the noble sense of the word.

advertisement

Back