advertisement

I just had to have them...

OffColour

pfm Member
Having just paid about £60 each for two Screeching Weasel albums that I'll never play, I got to wondering which other members had paid silly prices for records they simply had to have?

Gary

I paid £36 for the Stone Roses, the double LP version not realising it was 45 rpm. Valhalla's dont do 45 very well so i've still never played it.

Paul.

Paul,

Should you ever consider selling it, I'll be right there. :)

Best regards,

Oliver, owning a 45 RPM capable deck

I paid $50 for a copy of the Beatles' "Christmas Album", a compilation of their fan club Christmas messages, which came out on those little floppy record things and which someone compiled into an album.

I play it every Christmas. My favorite is John and Paul as Podgy the Bear and Jasper.

I have pretty much completed my collection of the classic Postcard Records label output. Most of which is on 45rpm vinyl - which my LP12 cannot play!
One day I will get a Lingo or summat (is there any other option for 45rpm on an LP12 by the way?)

Rich

£40 for a promo copy of Kate Bush' The Red Shoes in a red shoebox, with minature shoes - only to find out the thing was a fake...

I heard a rumour that the fakes are worth more than the real thing now, but I'm not convinced...

£30 for dIRE sTRAITS' Brothers in arms on CD single - it IS only one of 600 in the world!

I'd LIKE to pay for a copy of NOW 4 on CD, but these are off-scale-high prices of £250+!

£26 + import and VAT in 1980 something for the MFSL UHQR Supertramp Crime of the Century. It came in a box with it's own numbered certificate. It's still in my collection and still pristine. I play it every once in a while. Great stuff.

Mick

200 pounds for a mint first pressing of Art Blakey's A Night in Tunisia on Blue Note a few years back.

bunch of other Blue Notes for 80 pounds each at a group auction.

Originally posted by coredump
Paul,

Should you ever consider selling it, I'll be right there. :)

Best regards,

Oliver, owning a 45 RPM capable deck

A good rule of thumb for rare UK indie stuff is to look for it in US dealers, they are usually clueless on how to move this stuff and are willing to go really cheap.

I recently picked up a bunch of Creation, as well as first pressing of Joy Division's Closer in Ex/VG and Ex/Ex condish for less than 5 US dollars each!

www.gemm.com is invaluable.

OH yeah - New Order's "Technique" on DAT from Ebay last year - I own prerecorded MD/r2r/8track/DCC so this was a logical progresion. Unlike the others though, I can't play DAT...

My mate "taped" it to MD for me though :)

I'd LIKE to pay for a copy of NOW 4 on CD, but these are off-scale-high prices of £250+!

Crikey. I bought that for a tenner when it first came out. Who could thought such an odd CD could be worth so much!

I have first Japanese pressing of the Beatles Abbbey Road CD, sealed with the OBI. I think that worth a fair bit too.....

Originally posted by Martin M
I have first Japanese pressing of the Beatles Abbbey Road CD, sealed with the OBI. I think that worth a fair bit too.....

Yep, this one's worth BIG BUCKS amongst the US audiophile and Jap Beatlemanic circles. It's the ONLY direct tape to cd tansfer of any beatles' titles and supposedly the only good sounding one.

Should get you a few hundred green ones...

What does anyone reckon will be the real collectible LPs/CDs from recent years? Can't think of anything really which was on general release. Promos and misprinted stuff maybe. Or one-off pressings from small rerelease labels?

Any thoughts?

Jonathan

Jonathan,

There are already quite a few collectable indie titles

Spiritualized's Ladies and Gentlemen we are... it appeared in a blister packed 12 3" cds form which is fetching a few bucks in the US and SE Asia/Japan.

Primal Scream's promo editions of Echodek. Either in the 7" EP boxset or the cardstock packaging version of the cd both fetches a decent amount

In time, the "deluxe" Radiohead sets would prob, be worth something as well

Originally posted by royster2004
Primal Scream's promo editions of Echodek. Either in the 7" EP boxset or the cardstock packaging version of the cd both fetches a decent amount

What about the standard 7inch version of this???

I have a promo of Black's "Humour" CD - 3 3inch discs in a minature gatefold pack inside a slipbox - very very cute. Never seen it listed in any price guides though...

Martin M - if you ever want to sell NOW4, I'll give you £75 for it... Worth a try ;) C'mon, we all know Ebayers are nuts, and, well, he he... Did you ever see a copy of NOW5 on CD? I've got Hits 5 and 6, and NOW 8 and 9, so not doing too bad :)

advertisement

Back