advertisement

I just don't get it...

PBB

pfm Member
Looking at the Rega site a minute ago I discover a new integrated amp: the Aethos.

What is the point of having one model rated at 125 W RMS both channels driven into 8 Ω, and another (the Osiris) at 162 Watts per channel into 8 Ω and a third amp (the Elicit) at 105 Watts per channel into 8 Ω ?

I know that specs are not seen as being of any import in audiophile circles with a special antagonism towards power ratings but power is where the rubber meets the road so to speak.

Why would a manufacturer bunch up its models in such a fashion?

In the North American market it makes things quite awkward.

A doubling of amplifier power gives a 3db increase in SPL.

Not looking for a food fight here, just wondering...

I guess comparing a line based on power ratings could be like comparing cars from a manufacturer based on horsepower. There has to be more to it than that?

Hi,
A quick scan, shows that the Osiris has twice the output transistors per channel, there is a difference input stage topology where one has a cascode etc., one has a pre-amp output, and the Osiris has 0.007% THD for 162watts and the Aethos has 0.05% THD for 125watts. It seems to be topology, performance and features differences.

Regards,
Shadders.

I think the watt ratings should be ignored.
The little Brio is 50W only, but imo a much better amp than many higher priced, depending on setup of course.

Elicit has been their highest integrated developed during decades.

Osiris was a statement created along with Isis player and probably RS10 speakers.
Quite expensive and probably not a high selling item.

Aethos newly developed as competitor in specific pricerange such as SuperNait 3 Heed Lagrange and others.

I guess comparing a line based on power ratings could be like comparing cars from a manufacturer based on horsepower. There has to be more to it than that?

I see how the British car industry withered: too many 54 hp cars in their lineups! ;)

My Roksan is a case in point. My K2 has a much higher output power than the more expensive Caspian model. I have no idea why.

It's not unusual to stagger products in this way, look at naim, it's integrates go 60, 70 and 80 Watts and similar situation with their power amps. As others have said you can't base the quality of an amp on the specs alone.

I thought Rega quoted 6 Ohms for their power specs in order to match their speaker impedances.

I think the watt ratings should be ignored.

Agree. Once you go above what you need for your speakers and listening habits more power is irrelevant, and can be counterproductive. And manufacturers fudge the numbers so much you can't read anything into them anyway.

It's not unusual to stagger products in this way, look at naim, it's integrates go 60, 70 and 80 Watts and similar situation with their power amps. As others have said you can't base the quality of an amp on the specs alone.

Looking at Naim, an other offbeat manufacturer, is not much of an answer in this I fear. "Staggering" should really be about small,medium, large and extra-large not many versions of medium! It's a question of marketing as much if not more as it is a question of engineering and fine tuning. Some people actually love to pay more for a product but those are the same people that want their status recognized and their egos stroked
and I think that the more elaborate and expensive models in the Rega line should have been differentiated and given some proper identifier to set them apart and justify the fact that their asking price is in another league, not a question of degree but of kind.

I like Rega enough to comment and own two pairs of Rega speakers and a P9 so it is not my intention to slag the company or its products just to express my surprise at their new amp in the lineup.

I think that the more elaborate and expensive models in the Rega line should have been differentiated and given some proper identifier to set them apart and justify the fact that their asking price is in another league...

Sound quality is not enough? If you buy a turntable, CD player etc the difference you pay for is sound quality. Why is that not enough for amplifiers?

Most will know, well should know by now, that more power does not mean better performance. In fact, it's the reverse. Most low power amplifiers sound considerably better than their high power brethren. You should only go to the high power models if your speakers are difficult to drive and require more power. 50-watts (solid-state) is about all anyone should need today for a normal domestic listening situation. Electrostatic and Magnplaners speakers will require more, so 100-200 watts should be more than enough...

I've had modulus 286, 86p bridged parallel mono and mod 86 through my room in the past month, 120, 220 and 65 watts respectively, they all sounded identical up to clipping.

..more power does not mean better performance. In fact, it's the reverse...

That seems to have been the case at least some of the time. Traditionally, manufacturers have struggled to increase power without compromising sound quality and low power amps often sound very sweet. My amps are just over 100wpc, I've had less and it wasn't enough, but I don't need any more.

Once you get above a certain minimum, say 30 to 40 watts, it's irrelevant unless you live in a Grand Designs type house with no ceilings until you reach the roof. If you live in a nice normal semi with a nice normal lounge and speakers with an average sensitivity you don't need more.

It's like I don't understand this current trend for SUVs with 700 bhp. If Rolls, Bentley and Aston can do a SUV, then why not the people who do Monster Trucks? Then if there's a queue at the school gates you can just go over the top. The only downside is if you don't brake early enough you'll demolish the school.

I've had modulus 286, 86p bridged parallel mono and mod 86 through my room in the past month, 120, 220 and 65 watts respectively, they all sounded identical up to clipping.

Clipping is a concern, a genuine concern, I agree. I don't want to carry on a transatlantic debate though as it does seem that the wants and the needs of enthusiasts in GB and North America differ. My original inquiry has been side-swiped though: why have so many integrateds bunched up power-wise in the Rega lineup? Oh well!

Cheers!

There are undoubtedly cultural differences at play, but British homes are also much smaller than American homes on average. One could just as easily ask why, say, McIntosh, make so many different high powered amps for example?

advertisement

Back