advertisement

I just bought a s/h Meridian 204 Tuner

I would mention that these are filled with electrolytic capacitors that at the age these are would benefit a recap.

My two recommendations would be this : have the electrolytic capacitors replaced to get the best out of it and more importantly, DON’T GET RID of it ! It’s now rather difficult to find a good sounding tuner, used or new and this one is a keeper IMO. :)

Mr clontarf, was it a good price, was half bidding on a decent one the other week, but i don't listen to radio at home or very rarely do. Maybe i need a 504 to suit my 500 stuff.

Dunno if price was was "good" relative to other 204s @ £175 it was certainly good relative to quality primary sources!!
I listen to late night music radio most nights..its my main listening!!!

Meridian repaired my 200 series preamp about 15 years ago by putting a new main board in it. I recall the board was quite tight with lots of narrowly spaced tracks in the regulator section, so I’d think twice about recapping it myself, which ( if it’s working normally) raises the question of cost at a repairer.
The 200 series is beautiful- the table top remote, a lovely piece of design.

I acquired a 207 'bundled' with other equipment on that auction site. It was listed as a cd player and I had no idea at the time how versatile and 'cool' it was. It came with an Aragon 4004 and matching pre which were the purpose of the purchase.

I picked up a phono card for £22 on Gumtree, a 204 tuner (about £100 but can't remember exactly) and the table top remote referred to (£29!) on ebay. Can't say I have ever used it in earnest and the cdp is at our local tech at present having the phono stage fettled. With the exception of the phono card everything works as it should.

Had I known that Meridian Legacy was trading I would have taken it all there for a thorough coat of looking at.

Hmmm, period correct Meridian active speakers anyone?

Jim

Hmmm, period correct Meridian active speakers anyone?
Jim

After 35 excellent years from new with them I have just traded in my Meridian M10's for a pair of Dutch & Dutch 8c's. I was sorry to see them go, but didn't have room for both. :(

I had a 504 in the 90s and in true Naim fan mode changed it for a NAT02. The NAT02 wasn't any better sonically, and constantly drifted out of tune. And didn't have presets.

Apart from a 'dalliance' with Naim in between a Meridian 100 series, then 200 (then Naim for a few years), then 500 series and now an 800 with 5k's, I would say that the 204 was the nicest tuner in any of those series; I really regret selling it, just so that I could get a 504 to match the rest of my (then) 500 set up!!
I recently bought a rather 'worse for wear' Accuphase T108, which originally cost over £1k!!! It is the only tuner that I've owned (and there have been many!!) that has really outperformed the 204!
Enjoy it (and don't sell it!!!!!)

Apart from a 'dalliance' with Naim in between a Meridian 100 series, then 200 (then Naim for a few years), then 500 series and now an 800 with 5k's, I would say that the 204 was the nicest tuner in any of those series; I really regret selling it, just so that I could get a 504 to match the rest of my (then) 500 set up!!
I recently bought a rather 'worse for wear' Accuphase T108, which originally cost over £1k!!! It is the only tuner that I've owned (and there have been many!!) that has really outperformed the 204!
Enjoy it (and don't sell it!!!!!)

advertisement

Back