advertisement

I heard some Harbeths (but my review is very very long...)

I just use a little blue tack. I must say I am very pleased with my Something Solid stands and have to eat humble pie after everyone on this thread said they were essential and I just thought 'hmmm...stands'. They have really solved the bass hump I had. I was putting the blame on Naim for this, but it turns out it was easily solved. After some experimentation piling books on top of the Heybrook stands I was using previously I came to realise that the right height was crucial here, and I ordered exactly 49.5cm for the C7s. It's done the trick.

Yes, the XF: they look ugly on their own in pictures, especially when they are tall and narrow, but they look fine underneath C7's. The proportions are right. Its very speaker dependent on how they look.

I know but the performance just cannot justify the looks in this case for me. I now have the old version of Foundation stands which are wobbly. May need to consider something else in the future.

Sonically, they are very effective and all but disappear under a speaker, unlike some of the massive mass loaded designs.

It's a matter of taste.

FWIW I think the XF look great. Exceptional value for money too considering the amount of work that goes in to them.

Tony.

In a way I feel a bit baffled by the 'indoor scaffolding' comment, but in fact that is what I thought when I saw pictures at first. However as dave says they do just disappear visually when you get them under a speaker - you musn't judge them on photos of independent stands made for bookshelf speakers (for which they would indeed look inappropriate).

Finally, the dealer I first heard Harbeths did not use SS's, they used Atacama - this was KJW1. Now as I've said at the beginning of this thread they got both SHL5's and M30's to sound fantastic, but there was an issue with the bass on the M30's. I'm certain this would be solved if they used either Something Solid or Foundation open frames of the right height. The Foundations would cost a fortune to import from Canada so I think there is only one option.

Does anyone have pics of C7 on Something Solid stands?

2296546614_c370f20707_o.jpg

C7s on the old style XF, they've changed the base now. These were in a kind of gunmetal colour, in hindsight I think black looks better.

5377455719_5546fb4e26_b.jpg

A HL5 on the current XF design. The pictures don't really do them justice IMO, they look nicer in the flesh, especially once you've seen / felt just how solid they are. They are great stands.

Tony.

Note the difference between Tony's old C7 stands and his tragically brief SHL5 stands. The current version have simpler legs which are less plant-potish.

I also note the colour mismatch between the 5's and Tony's fireplace. Aside from impedance mismatches with his amp, the sluggish bass of the 5's, overwhelming Tannoy nostalgia, and all those other issues, I think there was a subliminal synaesthetic dissonance going on here. The cherry 5's didn't stand a chance against that flesh coloured fireplace.

They must really look different in the flesh is all I can say, because they look hideous to me even in our host's photos with the very nice looking Harbeths. But then I wouldn't have cables all over the shop. Each to his own.

I wouldn't have given Mana a second look either, no matter how it sounded. I object to industrial looking angle iron in a living space. It shouldn't be beyond designers to do better than that. Fortunately, floor standers don't have this issue.

My Hlk-6es's are on very good Elemental stands- they are aesthetically pleasing and the finest built stands I've ever had

Sonically, they are very effective and all but disappear under a speaker, unlike some of the massive mass loaded designs.

It's a matter of taste.

When I were young, had keen ears and the time, I favoured heavy stands, spiked to floor, blu tak'd to speakers and solid core cable

Which way around should my Harbeths be? If I am facing them the speaker marked "R" is on my right? Apologies for this but I'm stupidly confused. Thanks!

L R
You

This should explain a bit left ~ right speakers placement. Note the left speaker has left top logo on the grill and vice versa.

Enjoy the music presented by Harbeth with live and presence.

Hokkaido

Mr. Shaw recommends you change the speakers around periodically if one speaker is exposed to sunlight. I don't think it matters about the L & R on the back. You could change the grilles if you want the logo a certain way round!

advertisement

Back