advertisement

I have now heard the Kii Three!

YNWOAN

100% Analogue
I have long been interested in the Kii Three loudspeakers as they combine the very cutting edge of speaker technology into one compact speaker (well, when I say one I obviously mean a pair :)). I was therefore excited when I attended the recent Cranage Hall show (an excellent show I strongly recommend you attend) and found that the Kii's were being demonstrated by one of the exhibitors. Unfortunately, the demo I heard left me rather disappointed. Yes they had great stereo focus and a dry tight bass, but I didn't hear much of the fabled bass extension reviews had suggested, nor was the detail level anything special (also in contradiction to the reviews I had read) and the whole sound was very dry and airless in presentation. However, as fate would have it I was to receive another chance to hear the Kii's and this time it was to be in my own home. After reading my forum posts about the show demo I was contacted by Lee, the owner of 'Strictly Stereo' and Kii dealer; his offer was to come round to my house (a two hour round journey for him) with his pair of Kii's and everything needed to make them work, set it all up for me and then let me spend the day listening to them - now I was really excited :).

So, a couple of days later, after exchanging our details, Lee turned up at my house and together we unpacked his car:

FWf6GAol.jpg

Surprisingly heavy pair of speakers - check
Surprisingly heavy pair of speaker stands - check
Black box and controller thing - check
Big bag of cables and things we may, or may not, need - check
Teddy bear - optional but present - check.
We were all ready for action.

After a quick coffee and a brief tour of the house to select the best place to set up the Kii's we settled on the living room. My usual hi-fi has its own dedicated room and we could have set the Kii's up in there; however, it is very full with my rather maximalist (as in the opposite of minimalist - loads of black boxes spread out over most of the room) system and my large Yamaha NS-1000M speakers. The idea of moving my Yammies was a bit of a non starter as they took weeks to set up to the obsessive level of accuracy my inner hi-ifi nerd demanded (not so inner some would argue ;). Anyway, the Kii's are surprisingly heavy and my audio room is on the 2nd floor - on the other hand, carrying through to the front room from the hall was only a few steps - so that's what we did.

jHJMp3vl.jpg

The speaker stands were roughly positioned. We could have set them up either side of the fireplace but instead went for the bay window as it allowed a more 'free space' positioning.

Next up we're the actual speakers, compact and, in my opinion at least, remarkably handsome - certainly very nicely built and finished.

hO7foOSl.jpg

Lee got out his tape measure and we spent a few minutes getting the toe-in correct and getting both speakers the same distance from the listening position (sofa that is).

Then he plugged in a handful of cables and the optional Kii controller plus an Auralic 'Aries Mini' streamer - those three components, speakers, controller and streamer constituted the entire system - in rather stark contrast to the sixteen components that constitute my own single source system!

GiUSumDl.jpg

bQ3XltEl.jpg

Lee spent a couple of minutes doing some technical setup stuff, I downloaded an Auralic app for my phone and we were away :).

Everything worked super smoothly and I managed to find all the music I wanted to hear.

So much for the preamble - what did it sound like?

In short they sounded excellent - in some ways remarkable even.

The first thing that struck me was how good the stereo imagery was, instruments were very well focussed in space and existing quite separate from each other. The next thing that I noticed was the sheer pace these speakers conveyed, rhythms were locked onto and came over extremely well - I just couldn't keep my feet from tapping to the Courtney Barnett I played. The all important mid range was very well served and voices had excellent inflection and emotion was well conveyed.the sound as a whole was very consistent with very much the same character top to bottom - 'precision' being the term that comes to mind whilst the top end was clear and never shouty.

So what of the bass - well it was tight and detailed and certainly there was no hint of 'room boom'. I think the extension claims are slightly overstated but it was certainly easy to pitch instruments in the bass and follow musical lines.

Overall I was really very impressed and with a little tidying of the cables it would be very easy to fit these speakers into my life.

One quirk Lee pointed out to me was the bass null that exists behind the speakers, this can be very clearly heard and is quite odd when compared to normal speakers.

That's in the kitchen - could take a pic if you like - though it doesn't seem very relevant.

(It's not strictly black, more a dark chrome)

Mark,

Neato. I'm not looking to switch, but, neato! Nice to see something truly different delivering the goods.

Joe

For normal speakers the problem with a glass back wall is lack of bass reinforcement. Though subjectively this could cause a bright balance, the upper frequencies are not the problem per se because relatively little higher frequency sound is thrown backwards from a typical box speaker - what goes backward is mostly bass.

On the plus side, the room modes of the front-to-back dimension will reduce if there's a glass or other bass-weak boundary at either end.

Interesting write up so thanks for posting Mark. I think they look fantastic and the simplicity of it all really appeals. If i was starting again, these would definitely be on my list.

James

Glass windows backwall? I thought that was a no-no?

Why so? Wouldn't windows be a worse problem opposite the speakers? I'm asking from a position of ignorance, I should add.

Thanks to the OP for the write up. This makes the Kii3s sound like an interesting proposition. What kind of music did you listen to? Did you play anything with cellos, tenor sax, or male voices, for example? Some have found the upper bass and lower mid-range of these speakers too lean, so I'd be interested to know how they perform with these kinds of instruments.

Ynwoan, liked the write up, is there any chance of seeing your sixteen box set up of your main system, all this for a single source,

Overall I was really very impressed and with a little tidying of the cables it would be very easy to fit these speakers into my life.

So, how do you feel they compare to your NS1000s? What sort of level of conventional kit do they compete with?

This is always the hard bit to quantify, e.g. I read reports saying Devialet Phantoms are amazing, and others saying something of the Sugden A21 & ProAc standmount level gets the basics done better. The other thread ended up with a pfm member preferring their Vitus and passive ATC 40s, though in fairness that is a more expensive system. I know your system is largely DIY so obviously to your personal taste, but I am curious as to what general ballpark these things play in!

Forgive me if this is an inappropriate reply, but I can give my 2 cents on this subject.

In my room compared with my previous set-up, Monitor Audio Platinum 200 + Devialet 120 which was a little bit more expensive as a system, the Kii Three sounded faster/snappier, more coherent from top to bottom and produced a bigger soundstage with easier tracking and placements of instruments. The biggest difference was that the singer came far closer, making them step into the room instead of back there somewhere.
This made the soundstage "look" far deeper, not just wider.

Interestingly, that effect also came forward when I tried the PL's with the Dirac Live software, so I suspect it's about phase/time coherence.

Devialet made the PL's very smooth through the top end in a strange way, making the sound feel kinda... I don't know what to call it, slippery? Not lifeless, but overly smooth.
I was worried that the class D Ncore would do the same with Kii, but fortunately they have more life, sparkle and sense of natural decay.

Oh, the Platinums was somewhat shouty and could produce fatigue after a while, a problem I've yet to experience with Kii even in a shit acoustic space like mine.

I've also brought my Kii's to a high-end dealer with a big room with excellent acoustics to compare them to Grimm Ls1. Didn't get to compare them directly because he was so fascinated with Kii that the time flew away. Did get to compare them to Audiovector SR3 Avantgarde Arreté with Solution separates with a price so far over my paygrade it's silly.

The SR3's are amazing speakers, very comfortable and enjoyable sound from them. They appeared to be more authoritative in the bottom end, but it became clear that this was because the extra level around the port tuning frequency. Kii was far more detailed in the lower end and went far deeper, giving a better foundation to instruments, though the SR3's punched a little harder through the air at high volumes even if it sounded a little more one-bass like.
Both produced expansive soundstages with the SR3's feeling a little more airy and extended up top while Kii's soundstage felt deeper and easier to place instruments and singers.
Again the Kii's felt snappier with SR3 sounded a little more comfortable in its presentation

These were both high quality presentations of the sound and I loved them both, but I felt Kii overall was preferable due to soundstage, extension and a more coherent sound through the range.

I've heard quite a bit of systems around Kii's retail price, and while I believe you can better the Kii at the price if you know what you want/like and have the skills and space to follow through, I sincerely believe you won't find anything better that's comparable to its size and convenient package if the physical limitations of them are within your requirements.

But they're not romantic, so for any given person anything else might be preferable- like always.

What sort of level of conventional kit do they compete with?

This is always the hard bit to quantify, e.g. I read reports saying Devialet Phantoms are amazing, and others saying something of the Sugden A21 & ProAc standmount level gets the basics done better. The other thread ended up with a pfm member preferring their Vitus and passive ATC 40s, though in fairness that is a more expensive system. I know your system is largely DIY so obviously to your personal taste, but I am curious as to what general ballpark these things play in!

advertisement

Back