advertisement

I’m going on the train

I'm a bit envious about the Vermeer thing. Please give us a report when back.
Get over there. I was surprised how many tickets are left. Mind you, I hope they don’t pack us in. The Bosch exhibition in Hertogenbosch was rammed. Really difficult to get up close to the pictures.

Work related couple of days in Amsterdam last year: Getting there was fine. Getting back was a chore. Schiphol was beset by similar problems to Heathrow T5 with very long queues and lost luggage. It took me two hours just to check in…

(Weather permitting - cycling around Amsterdam is a breeze as it’s so flat and the infrastructure means it’s incredibly safe to get around on 2 wheels)

Work related couple of days in Amsterdam last year: Getting there was fine. Getting back was a chore. Schiphol was beset by similar problems to Heathrow T5 with very long queues and lost luggage. It took me two hours just to check in…
We noticed something similar coming back via Schiphol in July last year. A queue extending out of the terminal entrance, running for several hundred metres. The normal entrance to the terminal was still open, though, and the route to our zone seemed clear so we asked airport staff what to do. 'Join the queue' was the consensus. We set off towards the back of the queue but, en route, noticed that the front of the queue was going in a different direction than the zone we needed. So I asked again.

'Are you British?' came the reply.
'Yes'.
'Ah, this is the Schengen queue. It's not for you. You should go directly to the zone on your ticket'.

I appear to have inadvertently found a Brexit bonus. Sorry about that.

We noticed something similar coming back via Schiphol in July last year. A queue extending out of the terminal entrance, running for several hundred metres. The normal entrance to the terminal was still open, though, and the route to our zone seemed clear so we asked airport staff what to do. 'Join the queue' was the consensus. We set off towards the back of the queue but, en route, noticed that the front of the queue was going in a different direction than the zone we needed. So I asked again.

'Are you British?' came the reply.
'Yes'.
'Ah, this is the Schengen queue. It's not for you. You should go directly to the zone on your ticket'.

I appear to have inadvertently found a Brexit bonus. Sorry about that.

Yes, there was a very long queue snaking its way in from outside the terminal. I was able to skip that one and join another shorter (yet long) queue…

So much for Brexit bonuses!

For those of us living in the north Eurostar is a poor option. I've used it a few times, with reluctance. It's more time consuming and more expensive than flying to Paris or Amsterdam from Leeds/Bradford.
Also, if my train leaves before the early afternoon I need to stay in London the previous night to be sure of catching it, so that puts it on a par with leaving from Gatwick or Heathrow, and way less convenient than Manchester.
Add to that, at both ends the waiting area is more crowded and uncomfortable than at any airport I've flown from with the possible exception of Stansted.
On the plus side the seats are comfortable and the food on the train isn't bad.and as someone will be sure to mention if I don't, it's less polluting than flying.
When the idea Eurostar was floated we were told that the line would extend to Doncaster so that the whole of England could use it conveniently. That suggestion was dropped quickly and quietly.

Another example of our backward, penny-pinching, small-minded little country. If it ain't in London (or Home Counties), it don't matter. More civilised countries try to connect all their cities to the wider world.

Well, I said I'd report back.

So, my Eurostar experience. The latest trains seem to be better than the originals, and this is the first time I've gone via St Pancras. My last times were from Waterloo, with the consequent 'leisurely' ride through southern England. At least this time, we were up to speed pretty rapidly, and I was amazed how short a time it took to cross the Medway.

Going out, we had one change at Brussels, and the Thalys to Amsterdam was decidedly down at heel - looks like a rebadged TGV hand-me-down.
Coming back, there were no changes, but to be honest, four hours sitting in a train seat is not much fun, especially as one loud woman was holding several Zoom meetings on her laptop the whole time. Of course, the British way is to ignore and tut loudly, but the Dutch are much more direct. Didn't seem to have much effect either way.

The check-in terminal at Amsterdam reminded me strongly of a temporary tent I once used at Coventry airport when low-cost air travel was in its infancy, before mobile internet. Nothing to do, lots of sitting about pondering death, and listening to other people's travel anecdotes ('last time I was in New York, the security was so shit, blah blah blah'......'when I flew through Dubai, I couldn't believe the heat in the terminal, blah blah blah') - why do we do that?

The whole experience invited comparison with the flying alternative, and to be honest, I wish we'd flown. The price would have been the same with BA Business, and at least we'd have had airport lounges, and a much shorter travel time. Like, two hours shorter, as the check-in times on train and plane are very similar for some reason. No Zoom calls either, which has to be a plus.

Shame really, as I honestly thought I could avoid the airport experience. Maybe I just dislike other people. Maybe I should investigate NetJets.

As far as Vermeer is concerned, absolutely fantastic. Absolute genius at work, and I learned a lot, albeit by having the Wikipedia page for each work open as I went round (recommended as there's no multimedia guide). I didn't realise that the presence of lutes and slippers indicated loose morals and fannies.

We also squeezed in the Van Gogh museum in the morning. My brain is now full.

For travel by train, I'll give you a tip. First get to Italy. Then board your train. They're great. The only thing I will say is take your own food and drink with you.

For travel by train, I'll give you a tip. First get to Italy. Then board your train. They're great. The only thing I will say is take your own food and drink with you.
True. The Freccia Rossa from Milan to Venice was very good. Disappointingly, it didn't run on time.

True. The Freccia Rossa from Milan to Venice was very good. Disappointingly, it didn't run on time.
Even the Treno Regionale is good. I've been on a few in the last 3 weeks, the old ones are being phased out and new ones installed. The old ones are basic but adequate, the new ones make UK Intercity look poor. This is a train that will do 150 miles in 3 hours, stop at most places on the way, and cost Eu15, full adult fare.

@Nero shame about the Zoom calls. I've had to endure some plonker making endless loud 'business' calls on plenty of long train journeys in the UK...

The only thing I can suggest is catching the train in Japan where there's a very strong sense of train etiquette. If people absolutely must take a call they almost always move to the doors and whisper in their phone covering their mouth. It's just good manners.

@Nero shame about the Zoom calls. I've had to endure some plonker making endless loud 'business' calls on plenty of long train journeys in the UK...

The only thing I can suggest is catching the train in Japan where there's a very strong sense of train etiquette. If people absolutely must take a call they almost always move to the doors and whisper in their phone covering their mouth. It's just good manners.
My technique is to turn on the Monty Python theme music at full vol on my phone, put it down and look out the window until it’s had its effect. I don’t use a generic Radetzky March as I like to hear the “Itssss..Monty Python’s Flying Cirkusss” at the beginning. Quid pro quo innit.

I’m going on the Eurostar for the first time in my life soon, Paris to London then home to Edinburgh a couple of days later by train.

Ebike, car, foot, don't go is my philosophy.

I have to use the ferry every 6 weeks and that winds me up enough.

Not much beats the feeling of not relying on any transport services at all when traveling.

However, about once a year I do Strasbourg Paris by train. It does 180mph, no connections, only one stop en route, no peage, no car charges at the other end, I can take my ebike and it's only 100 euros return in advance. Takes 1hr 40 vs 4 and a half hours by car.

In summary, some, but hardly any journeys I make are better by train.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back