advertisement

Hypothetical Naim system replacement

tiggers

pfm Member
Over the last few months I have read a lot about Naim SL2s as I was wanting to get some, but without being able to audition on the end of my system I wanted to read as much as I could about going to SL2s from Naim Allaes. I eventually took the plunge and I'm very happy, but..... a lot of threads I saw had people telling the Naimees to ditch the lot and buy something better for less money. Now I'm an open minded chap so..... let's say I sold up my system - CDS3/XPS2-DR/52/SC/SNAXO2-4/SC/135s x4/SL2s and used the cash to buy something else... what would I go for?

Only caveats are I have a Gyrodec/Rega Fono2 and AV system that needs to integrate with any new system.

Let's say the sale got me £13K to spend. Genuinely interested as I do wonder sometimes if I'm too closed off to alternatives and it might be nice to get a few examples of systems to hear one day.

Secondhand gear is good btw, does not have to be new.

I listen to a variety of music - rock/pop/dance/trance/electro, some classical but not much jazz or folk.

Have at it chaps. :D

Most likely end up with buyers remorse.
More seriously, you are presumably a bit dissatisfied. You have what should be a great system ( I don’t know the tt). If you change and don’t like it you’ll lose loads trying to get it back.
Buying blind or on the recommendation of other is fraught with pitfalls.
I’d suggest 2 more 135s a 362 and a pair of briks!

I would seriously doubt that you would get enough to replace it with something obviously better.

And what if after a while you miss what you have now?

If you were in a forced sale situation, it would be different. You do not get to the high level that you have with Naim without being rather pleased with how it works. I assume that you chose and like your current set-up.

If something is not broken do not repair it. Unless you have become disenchanted with your high model Naim combination, then why fiddle about?

Certainly if you decide you definitely want a change, then you really need to do a good long home audition to decide if any potential replacement really pleases after the initial excitement fades. After all if you regret selling what you have now, and decide to reverse the decision it is going to be a bigger loss than if you were considering trading away from a Nait 5i; then reversing the action later would not be very expensive.

Just two pennies' worth, George

Na, it's just a hypothetical question really, but as I keep reading how it is possible to get something better for less money I just thought it would be interesting to find out what sort of equipment might fall into that category for my budget. As I said I am quite open minded so it would be good to listen to some other equipment over the next few years as I don't get the chance to do that as much as I used to 15 years or so ago.

I would put aside a bit of that £13k for a phono stage. That £200 Rega Fono is very good indeed for the money, but I’d say it was quite out of its depth in your system.

Last edited:
Nothing to stop you auditioning potential replacements, but it is only you this replacement has to please. You can make a bet that the favourite choice of person X will be different to yours, and that the again different favourite of person Y will also stand just as much chance of being different to your own selection!

Anything you read about choices of kit can be taken with a large pinch of salt as far it would align with your own. You need to listen to the options that you would be prepared to consider, and if you have that moment of discovery with something you really like and think you prefer to what you have now, then arrange a home demonstration - give it the only test that matters - a substantial time at home to get used to it and let the excitement fade from clouding the judgement.

ATB from George

I had a setup at the same level, but classic not olive. Switched it for vitus & avalons. Much more natural. Found myself listening to way more music and no fatigue. Now use active speakers and/or build my own kit. So vitus gone and Avalon’s being sold, but naim to vitus is a well worn road, and never seen or heard of anyone switching back to naim though

You have probably some of the best ever Naim amplication and speakers

It will keep value better than most

Changing could be a sidemove or very easy worse, if you value involvement more than hifi-effects

If you like performance maybe another source, thinking Rega Isis cd

Selling the CD and active parts Snaxo/SC/135*2 will of course free up some cash

Most likely end up with buyers remorse.
More seriously, you are presumably a bit dissatisfied. You have what should be a great system ( I don’t know the tt). If you change and don’t like it you’ll lose loads trying to get it back.
Buying blind or on the recommendation of other is fraught with pitfalls.
I’d suggest 2 more 135s a 362 and a pair of briks!

I'm not dissatisfied at all. Quite the opposite, but as said I just kept reading people saying to get rid and try something different when others asked the question about upgrades so I guess I am just intrigued. I have a good friend with a very high end Linn system, but I much prefer my system despite his costing twice as much and then some. That's not to say it's awful, it's just not to my taste. 15/20 years ago I had a lot of friends into their hifi and I used to listen to lots of different kit, these days they've all 'grown up' and it's only me and my Linn owning mate who still have a system. I guess I am just interested in what else is out there these days... the only really modern stuff I have listened to is the current Naim range and it's not for me.... I guess I like the good old coloured Olive sound.

I would put aside a bit of that £13k for a phone stage. That £200 Rega Fono is very good indeed for the money, but I’d say it was quite out of its depth in your system.

I don't listen to a lot of vinyl and sold my LP12 5 years ago... the Michell was to get my vinyl spinning again when the mood takes me hence why it's a bit out of balance with the rest of the kit.

That’s a very nice system you have. I think you’d regret selling that. Once it’s gone you won’t get it back.

Na, it's just a hypothetical question really, but as I keep reading how it is possible to get something better for less money I just thought it would be interesting to find out what sort of equipment might fall into that category for my budget. As I said I am quite open minded so it would be good to listen to some other equipment over the next few years as I don't get the chance to do that as much as I used to 15 years or so ago.

Of course it's possible to buy something better for less - it's also possible to buy something worse for less too!

If you want to explore alternatives, then the key is to keep what you have, and to get something else as well. There are so many different great approaches to producing enjoyable sound, the trick is really to step away from chasing accuracy, and to choose other aesthetics. The fact you have a Gyrodec suggests you have already made decisions based on looks rather than just sticking with the orthodoxy.

So, my advice would be to choose something that you would enjoy alongside what you have already. Since you have vinyl, how about an idler deck? Go and track down a nice Garrard, and build a period correct 1960s stereo with it. Or maybe something more modern - try statement Japanese stuff from the 70s.

By keeping both systems alive, you can A/B which is most of the pleasure, and it'll help you realise the strengths and weaknesses of what you have (and there will be both of course).

I would probably leave well alone, that is an amazing system. The only thing I would consider is active ATCs which would be a cost effective option & you would be able to dem them at home. SL2s are great speakers but will not go as low as, say, ATC active 50. This also gives you the later option to try a few different pre-amps when you can be bothered. CD is pretty much peerless at that level & more a matter of taste.

OP

Also consider ATC’s SCM40A/SCM50A with Anthem’s STR pre amp (adjustable phono stage, AV bypass, the bee’s knees Anthem Room Correction soon to be improved further still with ARC Genesis with correction for two subwoofers).

Alternatively Dutch and Dutch Audio’s Studio 8c with Anthem’s STR pre amp (we’ll be setting up this pairing with two JL Audio Fathom f112 v2 subs in Cheshire fairly soon).

https://www.anthemav.com/products-c...ormance/model=str-pre-amplifier/page=overview

https://www.anthemav.com/anthem-room-correction.php

Spend most of it on S/H big active ATC's. Job sorted for power amps and speakers. Plenty of cheaper but good options for the rest such as MDAC and a Bruno Putzeys balanced pre kit. Or DCS if you want to throw money at it.

Choice Hifi have a pair of ATC SCM50 ASLTs. (Disclosure: they are/were mine.) As Jez says, then you have plenty of choice for a DAC/preamp.

I agree with Cesare. Try dipping your toe in the water using a second system. Invest much less and use the second hand market so that you don't lose too much if you sell it on. Maybe you could get a feel for whatever suggestion you like the sound of without fully committing yourself and regretting the sale of a system your already enjoy.

OP

Also consider ATC’s SCM40A/SCM50A with Anthem’s STR pre amp (adjustable phono stage, AV bypass, the bee’s knees Anthem Room Correction soon to be improved further still with ARC Genesis with correction for two subwoofers).

Alternatively Dutch and Dutch Audio’s Studio 8c with Anthem’s STR pre amp (we’ll be setting up this pairing with two JL Audio Fathom f112 v2 subs in Cheshire fairly soon).

https://www.anthemav.com/products-c...ormance/model=str-pre-amplifier/page=overview

https://www.anthemav.com/anthem-room-correction.php
I was very impressed with Anthem’s correction, will you be using the subs constructively or destructively?
D&D’s own subwoofer integration software hopefully will be released soon.
Keith

Tiggers,

Hope you are well.

Pop over here some time next month for a brew and listen to something different?

You are more than welcome?

Cheers and will definitely arrange to pop in some time (as I pass your neck of the woods quite often) and have a listen. Don't think I'm not happy with the SL2s though as they are wonderful... as said it's mainly hypothetical and I am just interested as to where hifi is at the moment and what else is out there.

advertisement

Back