advertisement

Hybrids, not cars, computer hard drives

Radfordman

pfm Member
I have been toying with the idea of replacing my good Seagate 3.5" 7200 RPM drive with an SSD, solid state drive, for some time.

The hesitation is the cost of a similar amount of storage, ever though the price is coming down a bit.

A few days ago I got a new 2.5" laptop 5400 RPM SSHD, solid state hard drive, a hybrid, at a very good price.

I cloned the original installation to the new drive, amazed the hybrid drive cut the boot time of the machine by about half, and everything is snappier to use.

Probably the best upgrade I've ever done to a machine.

Get a 60Gb SSD for around £30-40, install that with your OS as your primary drive, and simply move the current drive to the secondary drive bay and connector, to be used as your 'data' drive.

Keep ONLY the OS and installed programs on the SSD, everything else goes on the HDD.

Thanks, I had thought of doing that, but I wanted to keep things simple, I do have a second drive in the machine, but I use that to clone to as a complete backup.

The hybrid drive is fast enough for me at the moment.

OK, most Mobos have 4 SATA ports. Put the SSD as primary, with the two other drives as drives 2 and 3.

windows 10 anniversary is having issues with a config of main os on ssd and data on a secondary, causing a people some hassle

windows 10 anniversary is having issues with a config of main os on ssd and data on a secondary, causing a people some hassle

not on my two desktops configured like that it isn't. Working perfectly well

I swapped out my HDD in this laptop for an SSD and it was transformed; start up is about 1/10th of what it was and the battery lasts longer. It is running windows 10 with no issues

Windows 10 has both pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys. By default these are on the System drive. Because SSDs are slow to write and have finite lifetime, these are better on a hard disk

advertisement

Back