advertisement

hugo direct into power amp - but which power amp?

owl

pfm Member
I've been demoing variations on a system recently. I'm sold on a Hugo, and this is a definite. This will be my source. The demo included going straight into a Linn akurate power amp and proac d30r. The result was sublime, great dynamic range with a sense of air and depth. Not fatiguing in any way.

I need to save for the proacs, but I'm unsure if a ddifferent power amp could offer more of the same. The one criticism is that there was a lack of soundstage width, depth was great.

Any recommendations or thoughts would be great.

I would think of the amp and speakers as one thing, buy an amp that can properly drive whichever loudspeakers you choose.
Keith.

I've been demoing variations on a system recently. I'm sold on a Hugo, and this is a definite. This will be my source. The demo included going straight into a Linn akurate power amp and proac d30r. The result was sublime, great dynamic range with a sense of air and depth. Not fatiguing in any way.

I need to save for the proacs, but I'm unsure if a ddifferent power amp could offer more of the same. The one criticism is that there was a lack of soundstage width, depth was great.

Any recommendations or thoughts would be great.

Hugo into an ATC P1 using a RCA to XLR (M) cable. Superb sound!

Peter

Hypex NC400 monoblocks would set you back around £1100 plus case and time. Or you could go OEM perhaps with the NC500 based Nad M22, again within budget.

I've run my Hugo directly into a bryston 4bsst2 to great effect. Brilliant little device. Only downside is that you have to use single ended RCA cables

Hypex NC400 monoblocks would set you back around £1100 plus case and time. Or you could go OEM perhaps with the NC500 based Nad M22, again within budget.

You could buy the Nord NC500 monoblocks like me £ 1014 the pair delivered
Great sound, great value and buffers can be uprated.

advertisement

Back