advertisement

HS2 kicked into the long grass?

It's a good job that the Victorians didn't think like that or we'd have no infrastructure at all. Imagine a sewer going down your road, heavens above ;)

Good, they should be investing in 21st century digital networks, not metal ones from the 19th.

We need to encourage people to travel less, not more. People need to live where they work or work online. I cringe when I encounter companies who unnecessarily travel all over the country/Europe/world for 'meetings'.... why? It's like the web was never invented. Luddites, the lot of them... wasting time and the planet's resources!

I just ran a little price comparison - a train ticket for two people Manchester to London now would cost £350, an Uber only £315, or £700 and £630 return.

Me and my Mrs are travelling from Manchester to London in November for two days.
£32 return each.

It’s not all bad.

It won't be long until trains run on hydrogen-oxygen fuel cells and train travel will be far and away the greenest form of travel/transport. Ditch the Trident replacement and you can have HS2, and a high speed northern link, and probably a fast route to Scotland. Take the private operators out of the equation and you can have reasonable fares too. I see a modern rail network as an essential first step to getting the bl**dy, poisonous lorries off the road. We're 50 years behind most of Europe on this...

So long as somebody has made zillions in 'consultancy' fees and others have made more zillions by knocking stuff down to free up land which 'Oops'..'Oh Well we'll just have to use it for more unaffordable trendy urban housing..' or whatever... what's not to like?
I mean.. depending who you believe, the current bill.. for nothing.. is up to £7.4Bn. Chicken feed.

But didn`t you have to book up before you were married to get that price?

Even travelling today, it can be done one way for £41. Add an 'old git' rail card and it's a third less.
https://www.thetrainline.com/book/results?origin=93583656327762b2e1831bdac48db2eb&destination=15bcf02bc44ea754837c8cf14569f608&outwardDate=2019-09-24T10:45:00&outwardDateType=departAfter&journeySearchType=single&passengers[]=1989-09-24&selectedOutward=5dvfMdt9//Q=:sPzmO9rz6NQ=

• [*]Your search: Manchester to London Euston
    [*]Single journey
    [*]1 adult
    [*]click here.

Looking for a specific ticket? View all ticket types.
    Back
    + / - 3 days£33.00
    Your selection
    We've selected a ticket based on price and your search time
    Feel free to pick a different one
    Total£41.00
    • 1 adult
    Out11:35 (Tue 24 Sep)
    Manchester Piccadilly to London Euston

adult @ £41.00
    £41.00
    • Specified train only. No refunds.
    • Virgin Trains only
    A service fee of £1.50 will apply to this transaction
Peak times more like £150

I agree re diesel lorries...how much polution!??
Hopeless to restart a new transport network in GB...way too crowded here now for anything other than a sticky plaster approach, but sensible road rules, electric or hydrogen cell commercial transport, and less needless travel will be a help.
The HS2 was going to benefit how many people by how much for how much? I mean seriously, if you need to be in Manchester half an hour sooner, get the earlier train? That won't cost the taz payer billions, you'll just lose an hour of sleep. You can do it!

It won't be long until trains run on hydrogen-oxygen fuel cells and train travel will be far and away the greenest form of travel/transport
Not a good idea in the Eurotunnel. 25kV overhead is much safer.
Actually the Chunnel fire prevention needs some update if a load of lithium battery cars is on the train. The design (done in the 80s) did not take into account lithium or hydrogen

Not a good idea in the Eurotunnel. 25kV overhead is much safer.
Actually the Chunnel fire prevention needs some update if a load of lithium battery cars is on the train. The design (done in the 80s) did not take into account lithium or hydrogen

It's all about risk in the end, I'm sure there'd be an engineering solution to that. Maybe there'd be a speed limit in the tunnel, whatever...

advertisement

Back