advertisement

How would you value a vinyl collection for shipping....

jay

built for speed
Hi all

I have about 350 LP's heading deep dark south at the end of the week. Any ideas on a average price per LP? I am thinking, £18-£22, which puts me at £20 I suppose...

I've a mostly modern collection with older, specifically collected popularish favourites (like indie classics, The Eels, etc). Not many hugely valuable I imagine, the early Foo's LP's might be my most valued(able). A few (perhaps 10 maximum) box sets like Mogwai, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, etc...

So...I know...how long is piece of string! But that's why I'm asking :)

Thanks
J

Another vote for Discogs. They have a section showing highest, lowest & average values obtained for a particular pressing. Useful for confirmation to the insuring company as to how you came up with a valuation.

Completed listings on Ebay will give you a real time price guide that titles are selling for in whatever condition they are in.

Your in for a shock if your thinking £20 an lp unless they are collectors stuff, The general collection most of us have will be about 75% low value & you need to decide yourself what is worth researching as most of it won't be.

take a random sample of say 25 from across your collection, ignoring those you know to have value.

check the pricing on Discogs and get an average, and extrapolate. When I did the exercise with my collection, I came up with about £7 per record and that was erring on the generous side

Thanks guys. I'm going to use £18-20. The premium is driven by replacement value, rather than actual "real world" value.

advertisement

Back