1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

How to work out angle for hanging speakers?

Discussion in 'audio' started by jamington2004, Sep 17, 2019.

1. jamington2004

jamington2004 pfm Member

Looking to wall mount (well ceiling hang) my new Kii Three speakers and wonder if anyone knows a way to work out the angle I should tilt them to compensate for the height of the tweeter

Or should it not really matter within reason? Either in general - or with these speakers (I heard the sweet spot was pretty wide)

They will be mounted 3ft above my ear height - 6ft apart - with me sat about 9ft away

I can adjust the toe in easily with the brackets - but need to decide on a fixed downward angle when I get the plate made for them to sit on.

Will def tilt them somewhat anyway so I am not looking at the bottom of the speakers :)

But not sure if I should go as extreme as the Devialet Phantom mounts I had before which tilted the speakers about 30-40 degrees at the same listening position. To be honest I generally couldn’t hear much difference if standing or sitting - which would make me believe it doesn’t matter, or they just had a very wide sweet spot.

Any advice or links to clever calculators would be great :) :)
    Kind regards
    Jamie

2. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

If you want them to fire directly at your listening position, the calculation is simple - you will know the height above your ears and the distance across the floor to directly beneath the speaker - two sides of a right-angle triangle, so you can calculate the angles and distances for the whole triangle.

Say the driver is 3 feet up and 8 feet horizontally from you, the angle you need is arctan 3/8 = around 20 degrees (from vertical).

If I have understood you correctly.

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  3. jamington2004

jamington2004 pfm Member

Genius - and well explained thanks!

Even I understood that!! :)

4. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

LLOL :)

I strongly suspect that 20 degrees will be about where you will need to be, changes of even a modest amount in either dimension won't have much effect, unless your room is HUGE, or you sit VERY close to the speakers.

The principle always applies - if you know 2 of the 5 variables in a right-angled triangle (2 angles and three lengths - you know one angle is 90 degrees), you can calculate the other three.

5. Emlin

Emlin MQA Hater!

The Kii acts as a virtual point source positioned half way down the speaker, so it's that that you want pointing at the listening position, not the tweeter. Not that it's likely to make a great difference.

6. jamington2004

jamington2004 pfm Member

Thanks. Middle of speaker will about 3.5ft higher than my ears give or take, and my ears will be about 9ft away

So 3.5 / 9 = 0.38

So that’s 38 degrees right?? Probably I would go more like 25 anyway for aesthetics, and as i don’t always sit at the same height depending on how slouchy I am. Plus I as you say I don’t think I will hear a huge difference within a reasonable range :)

But I got the maths right??

Got to find something to do now I longer do proper box swapping like I used to do!! :)

7. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

I make that 21 degrees (or my laptop calculator does...………….)

I am a bit suspicious of 0.38 and 38 degrees...…………………

Try 0.388888 (0.39), arctan (the same as tan^-1) - that should be ANAD 21 degrees.

20 degrees, is going to be so close in most "normal listening rooms", I very strongly suspect

8. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

tl;dr; tape a torch or a cheap laser pointer/ laser level to the cab, get the bright spot it to point close to where your head will be. Adjust to taste, balanced either side.

Trig is obvs the finite solution, but really save interpreting it & just cut to the chase.

Milan likes this.
  9. jamington2004

jamington2004 pfm Member

Aha - I knew it wasn’t that simple :) No clue what arctan means - was kind of ignoring it hoping it would go away!

20 degrees it is then :)

Martin only problem is I need to get the bracket made in the first place - would be pretty hard to balance the speakers up there at an angle with one hand - and hold the laser pointer with another, and measure the angle! :)

Thanks all think I am sorted then!

10. Milan

Milan pfm Member

That is exactly what I did. I used a laser pointer and then adjusted a little. I can adjust the angle with a captive bolt on my brackets.

11. Emlin

Emlin MQA Hater!

Excellent! Please let us know how it all works out...

12. Alonso1973

Alonso1973 pfm Member

Haha!

13. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

or you could invest in a laser pointer ( £10) stick it on the top and point it at your seat? I do that for making sure when I set up my speakers that they are "level" aim it at the rear wall and make sure they hit the same height.

14. jimpey

jimpey pfm Member

If any error is the right way you could just sit on a cushion:)

An error the other way is not so easily compensated for......

Jim

15. jamington2004

jamington2004 pfm Member

Sit on the floor :) :)

16. jimpey

jimpey pfm Member

Getting up again is too hard;)

17. jamington2004

jamington2004 pfm Member

Brackets/plates ordered at an angle of 20 degrees from horizontal!

£144 quoted by my local metal shop - cheeky ****.

£50 delivered from a lovely chap in Northern Ireland

Will post pics when they and my long awaited speakers arrive :)

Emlin likes this.
  18. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Glad to see this thread is not a gammon plot against Bercow!

19. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

It’s a technique employed by dodgy beauty salons which involves an operator with welding gear.

Glad to be of assistance.

20. jamington2004

jamington2004 pfm Member

Nice - I see what you did there!! ;)

Also very apt considering the metal work theme