advertisement

How to weaken / dissolve acrylic ‘glue’?

Spiderous

pfm Member
Hi,
I have a custom made acrylic dust cover for my turntable comprising 5 pieces of acrylic which are glued together with something or other. I may need to remove one of the 4 vertical pieces. What’s the best way of weakening the glue / solvent sufficiently so I can remove a single piece without trashing
the rest of it? I know the wd40 works on silicone, and I’ve read bits about acetone, but don’t want to buy tons of the stuff. Would nail varnish remover work?

The problem I see is that the glues don’t just sit adjoining the 2 surfaces. The glue absorbs into the material, which is why when a turntable lid part comes off, it looks so rough and tatty. I have the a Pink Triangle LPT pink lid with a piece adrift….will be a sod to try to rejoin. Every time I look at it, I end up putting it back down.

Do you need to remove the whole section, might cutting some of it away (neatly and carefully obviously) be an alternative?
My experience with acetone/glue is that it makes a God-awful smeary mess on the plastic that gets worse the more you try to get rid of it.

Acrylic / Plexiglass is *usually* solvent welded together, so the bond itself is part of the same material.
Doubt it will come apart without cutting, which is really not easy without correct tools.

Thats the thing - anything that would be solvent for the glue is likely to be a solvent for the acrylic itself too!

advertisement

Back