advertisement

how to try streaming ripped CDs

The simplest way for the OP to use his existing kit is to employ RealVNC (free). You install the VNC server in the laptop and the client/viewer on the Android phone. This will let you control the laptop remotely from the phone/tablet. I've been working this way successfully for over 10 years. Only change has been to swap phone for an iPad as my eyesight deteriorated.

Real VNC is available for most operating systems so you are not limited to any specific hardware.

https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/download/viewer/android/

Have fun,

DV

Thank you for the tip about VNC

Just setting up a Pi with Raspi OS in the shed so VNC solved a problem I hadn't yet got around to looking into - saved me an internet trawl :)

Using the Viewer on my Mac now - great stuff !!!

Just setting up a Pi with Raspi OS in the shed so VNC solved a problem I hadn't yet got around to looking into - saved me an internet trawl :)

Raspberry PI OS Buster Desktop has VNC server available by default (go to raspi-config)

You just need the free viewer on the controlling PC

Hello Mike,

With a Mac you don't need to download a VNC viewer nor server as Apple has these functions already built in!

To use the Macs VNC viewer you right click finder (bottom left of screen) then 'connect to server'. In the box that opens enter vnc://ip-address-of -server.

No need for additional software.

Have fun,

DV

Hello Mike,

With a Mac you don't need to download a VNC viewer nor server as Apple has these functions already built in!

To use the Macs VNC viewer you right click finder (bottom left of screen) then 'connect to server'. In the box that opens enter vnc://ip-address-of -server.

No need for additional software.

Have fun,

DV

Thanks DV :)

Tried that just now in the house but:
"The software on the remote computer appears to be incompatible with this version of Screen Sharing."

No problem though as VNC Viewer works just fine on the shed Mac I set up this morning .... (both Mojave)

I used to listen to my files on the server through Spotify.

Iirc there's a switch in settings for find local files and they all appear on one of the library tabs.

A bit vague as i binned the server a few years ago but with files found by Spotify i then used my tablet or phone as the remote.

It was dead simple.

Thanks DV :)

Tried that just now in the house but:
"The software on the remote computer appears to be incompatible with this version of Screen Sharing."

No problem though as VNC Viewer works just fine on the shed Mac I set up this morning .... (both Mojave)
Ah ha! You have left the Pi VNC server at default!

On the Pi desktop click on the VNC icon top of screen and go (VNC server window top right screen icon) to options>security. Set encryption to 'prefer off' and authentication to 'VNC password'. You'll be prompted to provide a password for the Pi server and apply the changes. You should now be able to log on using the Macs in built VNC viewer and new password.

I assure you that this works if everything has been correctly configured. Just remember that you'll use the VNC password from every viewer and no longer your Pi Linux password.You can if you want put encryption back on.

No point having unnecessary software on your computers as all the more to go wrong eh?

Cheers,

DV

Last edited:
Install Foobar 2000 on your laptop. Put the Foobar 2000 shortcut in the startup folder so that the program starts automatically every time the laptop is started. Then install the Foobar controller app on your Android phone or tablet. No need for Melco or other faith based audiophile solutions.
Well i have fubar 2000 on my windows pc, installed the fubar controller app on my phone, installed the exe file on windows which i presume links the two. I am in process of setting up the android app ... auto find doesn't find my PC, manual find asks me for ip address without telling me what that is or how to find it. This is why the cheap or free streaming options frustrate me - because you need a degree in computer science!

cheers ... i did get there in the end :) One i convince myself that i do like playing files via a controller app, i will try something like the Bluesound node 2i. I know you're paying for the luxury of a slick app etc but it's a small cost in the scheme of things.

cheers ... i did get there in the end :) One i convince myself that i do like playing files via a controller app, i will try something like the Bluesound node 2i. I know you're paying for the luxury of a slick app etc but it's a small cost in the scheme of things.
The Node is excellent, one of the top hardware/software off the shelf systems out there and probably the best under a £Grand discounting the DIY approaches.

Great summary of recommendations here. For a long time, I used JRiver to keep files organized, and dpPowerAmp to rip. I have an old Macbook Pro and a Toshiba external hard drive, and just streamed out of that to a Rega DAC via a Chord Optichord. Worked great.

In the last month, a friend of mine did a long term loan of his Naim nDAC to me. I really loved the sound of the Naim, pretty incredible and it got me refocused on digital as a source (I am primarily a vinyl/LP12 guy, surprise eh?). I just bought a Bluesound Node 2i and am streaming the top tier Tidal. Gotta say, wow. I did plug in my hard drive into the Bluesound...but...why? Every single CD on my hard drive is on Tidal...plus...several hundred thousand more?? And in many cases a better copy than mine. Suddenly my old buying CDs for $6 and ripping them...seems...so...process laden and a PITA.

All that said - I appreciate doing well with what you have - and my old hard wire setup worked great. And in a couple years, the 2i will be $200 used, and there you go.

Great summary of recommendations here. For a long time, I used JRiver to keep files organized, and dpPowerAmp to rip. I have an old Macbook Pro and a Toshiba external hard drive, and just streamed out of that to a Rega DAC via a Chord Optichord. Worked great.

In the last month, a friend of mine did a long term loan of his Naim nDAC to me. I really loved the sound of the Naim, pretty incredible and it got me refocused on digital as a source (I am primarily a vinyl/LP12 guy, surprise eh?). I just bought a Bluesound Node 2i and am streaming the top tier Tidal. Gotta say, wow. I did plug in my hard drive into the Bluesound...but...why? Every single CD on my hard drive is on Tidal...plus...several hundred thousand more?? And in many cases a better copy than mine. Suddenly my old buying CDs for $6 and ripping them...seems...so...process laden and a PITA.

All that said - I appreciate doing well with what you have - and my old hard wire setup worked great. And in a couple years, the 2i will be $200 used, and there you go.

I think I'll have to run something like a Bluesound (for ripped CDs) alongside a CD player. After a few months or longer I'll decide whether I'm ready to get rid of the CD player. Making the switch to a streaming service is probably a step too far - I can imagine having spotify soon for the wife/kids, but I listen to music so infrequently at present that a tidal subscription etc would not be worthwhile. I don't know how spotify compares for CD quality sound?

advertisement

Back