advertisement

how to try streaming ripped CDs

Neil P

pfm Member
I'd like to try the user interface of playing "files". No i dont want a streaming service or a raspberry pi.

I have a windows laptop, an android phone, and android tablet, a dac with USB input, fed into my hifi. I also have lots of ripped CDs which I can put on an external HDD or usb memory stick. So what's the best way to try playing those files - with the files connected via usb into the dac, but an app "controlling" which file is played? I know melco, for instance, do their own ripper/storage/app ... but can I not just demo/buy an app to go with my existing hardware?

One way would be:

USB Hard Disk with CD Rips on usually in FLAC format —> USB cable —> Laptop —> USB cable —> DAC —> Amp/Spkrs​

Use a music playback App on the Windows Laptop, loads and loads free and paid for

1. MusicBee
  2. AIMP
  3. MediaMonkey
  4. foobar2000
  5. VLC Media Player

Is there a way to have the files/player software on the laptop, but an android app to browse and "control" the playback, as that would replicate most streamers which are app controlled?

I would look at JRiver running on your laptop, with either Gizmo or Panel running on your android devices to control it. JRiver is a superb music player, with lots of power to organise and search your music the way you want to, and lots of good audio features. You can get a free trial.

https://www.jriver.com/audio.html
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Remotes

Thank you, I'll take a look. I only have a 200 CDs or so, but its my main source. Just weighing up pros and cons of storage space, number of boxes, ease of use etc.

I’d second the JRiver recommendation, i used it quite successfully before Roon came along, at the time it was pretty much the only pc based music player that you could control from a remote.

Is there a way to have the files/player software on the laptop, but an android app to browse and "control" the playback, as that would replicate most streamers which are app controlled?
As has been said JRiver if you don’t mind paying a small fee, there is a trial, not sure if the App is available as a Trial but it’s cheap, long time since I used it.

Thank you, I'll take a look. I only have a 200 CDs or so, but its my main source. Just weighing up pros and cons of storage space, number of boxes, ease of use etc.
Using your current laptop is a really simple and cheap way of getting into streaming your own rips. Then in the fullness of time you can look at other options like dedicated servers. But I’ve stayed with a laptop for years now (albeit a dedicated fanless one with an SSD) because of the flexibility and resilience. The streaming landscape changes frequently. In the beginning it was just your own rips. Then Radio. Then Tidal and Qobuz and Amazon and other cloud options appeared, and other software like Roon, all of which ran from day one on a laptop, whereas small companies making boutique expensive servers had great difficulty keeping up. I’d rather put my money towards a DAC and the rest of my hifi.

I have my files on a desktop PC, and use BubbleUPnP on my Android tablet as the controller.
Pretty much exactly what you're asking for.

I know you said you don't want a Raspberry Pi, but I would certainly consider it. The Pi 4 has a good USB output (not the earlier ones), put piCorePlayer on it with the Logitech Media Server, attach the USB disk and you have a great compact solution. You can control playback via OrangeSqueeze (I believe not an Android user myself) or any webinterface.

I think taking your laptop out of the equation would make for a simpler and less 'cluttered' setup.

If you can spare 20 minutes of time this a good little video (note: the clicks and noise he mentions are for Pi versions before the 4):

Last edited:
I'd like to try the user interface of playing "files". No i dont want a streaming service or a raspberry pi.

I have a windows laptop, an android phone, and android tablet, a dac with USB input, fed into my hifi. I also have lots of ripped CDs which I can put on an external HDD or usb memory stick. So what's the best way to try playing those files - with the files connected via usb into the dac, but an app "controlling" which file is played? I know melco, for instance, do their own ripper/storage/app ... but can I not just demo/buy an app to go with my existing hardware?

Install Foobar 2000 on your laptop. Put the Foobar 2000 shortcut in the startup folder so that the program starts automatically every time the laptop is started. Then install the Foobar controller app on your Android phone or tablet. No need for Melco or other faith based audiophile solutions.

Install Foobar 2000 on your laptop. Put the Foobar 2000 shortcut in the startup folder so that the program starts automatically every time the laptop is started. Then install the Foobar controller app on your Android phone or tablet. No need for Melco or other faith based audiophile solutions.
That's exactly what I used to do before moving on to Innuos/Bluesound.
The Foobar controller is a bit clunky but other than that perfectly functional.

A bit more expensive would be to use a Bluesound Node 2i.
Yes it's designed for streaming but you don't have to add streaming services and it can just play local files. Store them on an SSD or even a large capacity thumb drive attached the USB 3 port.
You also get a decent dac capable of playing most digital formats including I believe MQA.

Comes with a decent application and can be accessed from any phone, tablet or PC.

If you do decide to add a steaming subscription service later, you are all set for it.

The simplest way for the OP to use his existing kit is to employ RealVNC (free). You install the VNC server in the laptop and the client/viewer on the Android phone. This will let you control the laptop remotely from the phone/tablet. I've been working this way successfully for over 10 years. Only change has been to swap phone for an iPad as my eyesight deteriorated.

Real VNC is available for most operating systems so you are not limited to any specific hardware.

https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/download/viewer/android/

Have fun,

DV

Thanks for the software recommendations i'll give them a go, starting with the free options. I just want to try the mechanics of playing ripped files for now - if I like it then I will look at buying a dedicated player.

I never even asked myself the question if there was an Android controller for Foobar2000, pah!
I'll install that later when I have the computer and other phone in front of me.

If your laptop is co-located with your stereo, then a direct laptop to usb dac is the best choice.

If it isn't, then a DLNA player is a great option. There are many inexpensive options available. Often, your Blueray player can serve this function.

advertisement

Back