advertisement

How to tag BANDCAMP downloads

What is your issue with lossless?
Complete and utter bias initially - I don't see the point in spending so much time "ripping" the CDs to throw part of the info away... Storage is not that expensive these days.

Oh and since I have had the Bartok, the fact that I find flac sounds a little "hard" compared to WAV

Complete and utter bias initially - I don't see the point in spending so much time "ripping" the CDs to throw part of the info away... Storage is not that expensive these days.

There is no information being thrown away.

Oh and since I have had the Bartok, the fact that I find flac sounds a little "hard" compared to WAV

Your subjective perception is noted.

There is no information being thrown away.

Your subjective perception is noted.
It gets worse :)

I find AIFF sounds a little "dull" compared to WAV - nothing huge but noticeable when switching form one to the other on a couple of albums by Norwegian artist Runahild

How did you compare?
Accidentally during a demo I clicked on the other version of the file and wondered what had gone wrong.
I had been left the iPad to generally get a feel for the Bartok and was listening to stuff from my own hard drive. The difference was enough for the dealer to look up from his computer and ask what i had changed...

I think we can safely assume Runahild does not have the resources to make multiple mixes for her bandcamp stuff - from what I can tell she is too busy making music. You should try her music it is quite a change from Värttinä et al or Hector, Heaven forbid :)

Accidentally during a demo I clicked on the other version of the file and wondered what had gone wrong.
I had been left the iPad to generally get a feel for the Bartok and was listening to stuff from my own hard drive. The difference was enough for the dealer to look up from his computer and ask what i had changed...

You don't happen to have those two files? I assume you didn't compare the data content?

I think we can safely assume Runahild does not have the resources to make multiple mixes for her bandcamp stuff - from what I can tell she is too busy making music.

That is probably a reasonable association, but if the difference was as radical as what you describe, it wasn't just because of the file format.

You should try her music it is quite a change from Värttinä et al or Hector, Heaven forbid :)

Heaven forbid indeed! :)

You don't happen to have those two files? I assume you didn't compare the data content?

That is probably a reasonable association, but if the difference was as radical as what you describe, it wasn't just because of the file format.

Heaven forbid indeed! :)
Not really into computer geekery :) The computers at home are all a means to an end not objects of interest per se.

The difference was a slight dulling of the sound on AIFF compared to WAV - not huge but noticeable when you are listening intently to boxes you are thinking of buying... priced at the buy once buy it right because you can't afford that size of mistake level. We were using some fairly revealing stuff - Aesthetix amps, dCS source and some more than I can afford Apertura speakers if I remember right.

The difference was a slight dulling of the sound on AIFF compared to WAV - not huge but noticeable when you are listening intently to boxes you are thinking of buying... priced at the buy once buy it right because you can't afford that size of mistake level.

I am a bit confused. How does that jive with "The difference was enough for the dealer to look up from his computer and ask what i had changed..."?

I am a bit confused. How does that jive with "The difference was enough for the dealer to look up from his computer and ask what i had changed..."?
Easy: in absolute terms the difference is there but not huge but I was highly concentrated evaluating a very expensive product new to us both and he has a very sharp set of ears (so have I if it comes to that - I have to rely on them to cross roads safely - that avatar is not a joke :) ).

Now I know, for those albums I have in both WAV-rips and AIFF-downloads, I group the versions in Roon and set the WAV as favorite/usual version. Life is too short to waste too much time on the difference so I still download AIFF from BANDCAMP for its more reliable metadata. I have also downloaded some classical in "hi-res" FLAC from the Hyperion and Presto webshops.

Some day I will go through the BANDCAMP account and download a few in WAV (amongst those Roon recognizes) to compare...
... but I have a life and some yoga to get on with before that - yoga in Italy last July and August, Germany next week :) I also love to make time for my marvelous 4 year old grand-daughter - I hope to be fit enough to show her the beauty of Florence in a few years' time.

Come a long way in 15 months - from a seriously under-used secondhand Moon Mind 180 to dCS Bartok and Roon!

So you haven't actually converted them from the same original, but gotten them from different sources?
CD from the artist ripped to wav with dbpoweramp 14.something
Aiff downloaded from her bandcamp page

As I said earlier, the difference does not justify manually tagging wav downloads in languages I have no knowledge of... it might be different if she sang in English, French or even Finnish (I know at least enough to remember the spelling of what I read long enough to type it into a tag field) :)

It would not cost you much to download one song by Runahild (or anyone else you like on bandcamp - you could try Kati Ran or Ayla Nereo or Mariee Sioux or case/lang/veirs or ...) in flac+wav+aiff to listen for yourself :)
At present I have other things to do than compare file formats - like kick starting my yoga teaching year, enrolling in a language class etc etc. The joys of being retired :)

CD from the artist ripped to wav with dbpoweramp 14.something
Aiff downloaded from her bandcamp page

I suggest you download and install Audacity, foobar2000 and the ABX plugin for foobar2000 (all free). Use Audacity to convert your favourite albums to AIFF (and FLAC) and do a double-blind ABX.

As I said earlier, the difference does not justify manually tagging wav downloads in languages I have no knowledge of... it might be different if she sang in English, French or even Finnish (I know at least enough to remember the spelling of what I read long enough to type it into a tag field) :)

:)

Joyosharer has a some recording thing that has both Windows and Mac versions. it can download songs from Bandcamp to normal audio files of 16 formats.
Maybe you can give it a try.

advertisement

Back