advertisement

How to tag BANDCAMP downloads

uncl_nigel

pfm Member
The problem:

my Moon Mind 180 does not see the albums I have just downloaded from bandcamp - they play but seem to have no metadata.

I usually use the PC for music management but also have access to a mac

You need something like JRiver, but there is other software that, like jaikoz, IIRC, that will fix missing metadata.

If you know what the metadata should be you can also fix it yourself with mp3tag.

Oh, and there's something from dbpoweramp that will batch fix metadata, IIRC.

Just had a quick check on some BandCamp downloads here (iTunes/Audirvana). Metadata seems 'normal' here, down to including lyrics and encoder info in a couple of instances. Have you checked the albums on PC?

You can just load the tracks into iTunes and edit the metadata there. It won't give you the flexibility and granularity of the solutions mentioned above, but if I wanted a quick and dirty Mac-based solution, it's what I'd do.

You don’t even have to fill out the info yourself as MP3Tag will obtain metadata from Discogs, MusicBrainz etc. if required.

That’s true. I’d forgotten that as I only really use the program to tidy up bits and bobs on occasion after ripping with dBpoweramp.

Mick

I have 223 items in my Bandcamp collection, all downloaded as FLAC. None of these items needed retagging and all play perfectly on my Moon MiND 180. I wonder if the OP needs to refresh his library software. I use LMS on a Vortexbox. A new Bandcamp d/l appears in the New Music list in the MiND app once LMS has updated the library.

I have 223 items in my Bandcamp collection, all downloaded as FLAC. None of these items needed retagging and all play perfectly on my Moon MiND 180. I wonder if the OP needs to refresh his library software. I use LMS on a Vortexbox. A new Bandcamp d/l appears in the New Music list in the MiND app once LMS has updated the library.

These are downloads from three different Russian folk groups. I downloaded in both WAV and 320MP3 (for mobile use). Once extracted, the files had the various fields for Artist, Track, Album, Year, etc but all the info in one field.

Now that the fields have been (manually) filled the Mind sees the albums.

Copy, paste, edit for 32 tracks is a bit of a pain...

The whole idea was to get some fun music which I only had as files to encourage me to use the Mind a bit more often - actually to use it full stop. For the last two months I might have used it twice.

These are downloads from three different Russian folk groups. I downloaded in both WAV and 320MP3 (for mobile use). Once extracted, the files had the various fields for Artist, Track, Album, Year, etc but all the info in one field.

.wav files don't support metadata directly. As suggested above, always use..flac which does. In JRiver you can tag wav files, but it doesn't save the tags to the files themselves, it uses an internal database. The advantage of flac, besides saving of tags in the files is that you can also use and save custom tags (which may be of use to you, or not).

The whole idea was to get some fun music which I only had as files to encourage me to use the Mind a bit more often - actually to use it full stop. For the last two months I might have used it twice.

I've never tried MP3s with the MiND, but attaching Metadata to the WAV is not straightforward, and MP3Tag won't even try. The FLAC is really a container for the WAV and supports metadata. You can d/l the files repeatedly in any format you like From Band camp, so you might want to try the FLACs.

If the metadata is there, but not visible, converting to FLAC should allow it to be seen. Saves having to download them again.

Not wanting anything to do with compression even "lossless" for the hifi, I have found a solution for Bandcamp downloads which avoids typing in all the metadata (a genuine pain when dealing with Russian folk music):

AIFF

The software and hardware I have treat AIFF and WAV files transparently so that is what i will use from now on for Bandcamp.

advertisement

Back