advertisement

How to remove tone arm lift on Rega RB303?

jamesd

pfm Member
I'm sitting here with my Rega RP6 and a new tonearm lift as the old one no longer works, but I can't figure out how to get the old one off.

Can anyone tell me how to remove this thing? Thanks!

I've figured out *how* to do it by watching this:

but that step where you have to rotate that top plate on top the cylinder...i can't get that think to turn. Any tips?

For future reference, Rega specify using fine nosed pliers, either needle or round nosed, to loosen the cap.

BTW, I've never encountered a Rega lift-lower device that couldn't be restored to proper working order with a clean/re-grease. Let me know if you'd like to get the original working/salable.

For future reference, Rega specify using fine nosed pliers, either needle or round nosed, to loosen the cap.

BTW, I've never encountered a Rega lift-lower device that couldn't be restored to proper working order with a clean/re-grease. Let me know if you'd like to get the original working/salable.

interesting. i put the replacement unit in and the top plate is different. the new top plate has two small circles closer to the inside of the plate, whereas the old one had two slots on the outer edges.

the new one also seems like an on and off switch. it drops really fast instead of slowly dropping the way my RP6 originally did and the way my P3-2000 always did. Do I need to fill it with grease or something?

You shouldn't have to, regardless, it is not so much a case of filling it with grease, as it is one of applying grease to specific surfaces after first fully disassembling and thoroughly cleaning the parts. Also, there is a specific Rega supplied lift/lower grease which differs from that used in the old R200 lift (dealers are warned not to use R200 grease in RB300/RB250+ tonearms, and vis versa). Rega are likely to provide a small quantity of the correct grease FOC for the asking.

A copy of Rega's Cleaning and Replacement of Lift/Lower service document is available via vinylengine.com. I'd seek out a pair of fine round nosed pliers whilst waiting for the grease to arrive. I use a pair of circlip/snap ring pliers that came with interchangeable straight and angled tips. These are ideal, especially so in 'snap ring' mode where squeezing the handle closes the tips (as opposed to spreading them, as in circlip mode).

34192.jpg

Last edited:
thank you

i don't know which lift mech i have. i bought it from an authorized dealer (via amazon). the old one just had a shaft that went into the little "," shaped lift platform. the new one had a brass knurled nob that went into the same part.

What is pictured is the genuine article, however, I suspect that this isn't what you actually received.

You are welcome, James.

In the meantime, let me know by PM if you are interested in getting the original lift/lower working.

"We only sell rega products provided by the USA importer.

Feel free to check with them"

here's the part in question. does anyone else's look like this?

1PeGgDZ.jpg

It appears to be the real thing. Perhaps there have been one or more detail revisions to the design.

When you said 'the new one had a brass knurled nob that went into the same part', I assume that they may have changed the piston shaft such that the lift platform is less likely to rotate despite the set screw torque, the latter of which shouldn't be set too high.

Here is a pic of a Sota branded early version OEM RB303 (old style bias housing, amongst other bits) with what appears to be the same lift/lower cap...

1878859-thorens-td125-mkii-rega-rb303-grado-extras.jpg

advertisement

Back