advertisement

How to remove/fit Naim phono card?

kensalriser

pfm Member
I'd like to remove the phono card from a 102 and fit it to a 52.

First problem is how to get the cases off! The feet come off the 52 easily enough, but the hex nut seems really tight and I'm reluctant to apply too much force. Is it simply a matter of removing the feet and undoing the hex to get the case off?

Just make sure you have a decent quality Allen key (ie not one that came with a flat pack) that fits properly and give some welly. There might be some locking compound but should crack with hand power.

Got it with just a little more application of controlled torque.

That was just the gateway to a larger problem as it seems the 523/1 card from the 102 isn't compatible with the fitting on the 52, contrary to my understanding.

Hmm. The cards in the 102 are flat and the pass-through card currently fitted to the 52 (marked 526/1) is also flat.

they're all standard so must fit - perhaps try them the other way round, that is, look for how the pins connect at the bottom of the cards with the receptacles on the PCB in the pre

They should fit, as Coltrane says they are ‘handed’, i.e. one is the mirror image of the other.

Just remove one of the 526 boards and replace it with the 523 that has the same pin configuration, then repeat with the other channel.

It’s also possible that there are a couple of wire links that need cutting when you fit the 523 boards.

Asked on the Naim board, it seems I didn't appreciate there are two cards and that the configuration on the 52 is one on top of the other (as sq says above) rather than side to side as on the 102. Now I have a better understanding I'll have another go.

advertisement

Back