advertisement

How to prevent neighbour's cats crapping on my lawn?

linnfomaniac83

I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!
As per the thread title, I'm getting an increasing problem with a neighbour's cats doing their business on my front lawn. I'm disabled so it's difficult for me to clean it up myself, to add to that it's a really unpleasant job and I don't have any cats, i shouldn't be having to clean up after them. I would appreciate some advice on deterring them from my lawn, fire away guys. :)

I used to see old plastic bottles half-filled with water lying in gardens, and assumed it was a coded signal for something, but apparently some folks swear by it. Scatter these around the perimeter, on their sides in the borders, and the cat thinks there's too much water around and stays clear.

If you catch them in the act, and have an open window or door, use a catapult with a chunk of carrot, potato or whatever to demotivate them. Or a water pistol. Or a garden hose. Leave a sprinkler set up, and when the cat comes a calling, turn the tap on.

There's plenty of cat-deterrent product to be found at the DIY stores, garden centres, and the like.

Male urine works. Have a good pee all over your own lawn. If that doesn't work, have a crap on you neighbours lawn, see how they like it!

Male urine works. Have a good pee all over your own lawn. If that doesn't work, have a crap on you neighbours lawn, see how they like it!

The nosey woman at number 5 would have a heart attack :D, had thought about having a dump on my neighbours lawn but its starting to get a bit nippy out now.

I used to see old plastic bottles half-filled with water lying in gardens, and assumed it was a coded signal for something, but apparently some folks swear by it. Scatter these around the perimeter, on their sides in the borders, and the cat thinks there's too much water around and stays clear.

If you catch them in the act, and have an open window or door, use a catapult with a chunk of carrot, potato or whatever to demotivate them. Or a water pistol. Or a garden hose. Leave a sprinkler set up, and when the cat comes a calling, turn the tap on.

There's plenty of cat-deterrent product to be found at the DIY stores, garden centres, and the like.

I'll have a look in the DIY stores, I'd prefer not to use a catapult buy I have no issue with scaring them :)

Isn't there something about them hating lavender and orange peel?
(separately - they don't have to be combined)

Who says you need to be there to do it? Just relocate one of your daily stools. Cat poo in the borders is a constant pain (and stink) here as well.

You must make your lawn and gardens open to any cats who wish to visit.

They have a right to roam and you must make them feel welcome.

Put up signs. Welcome them.

Are you sure it's a cat?

Cats in general are very private about their toilet, they also bury the evidence.

If something is shitting blatantly on your lawn I'd wager it a fox.

Water and/or violence are the only things that work. We had 4 of those cat repellers in our garden and after a few days of peace they worked out there was no threat and used to bring their friends round to laugh at them. They also cost a fortune in batteries.

These do work - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005MW9VOM/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21 - but are a pain in the backside (literally) as you have to have it at a busy point in the garden and then you forget and walk through.....

We put rose cuttings in places where we spot they like to sit and as I'm retired I keep an eye out and hurl a tennis ball at any cat that comes into the garden. We have foxes and hedgehogs and they are welcome to crap in our garden. Cats - I hate them with a vengeance as they try to catch our goldfish and the birds and other creatures that we try so hard to give a home to.

I know - it's only nature....

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Are you sure it's a cat?

Cats in general are very private about their toilet, they also bury the evidence.

If something is shitting blatantly on your lawn I'd wager it a fox.

And we have a winner!

We have millions of cats around us and not one ever has crapped in public so to speak. Foxes however don't give a s**t where they poop, driveway, lawn etc etc.

One day, when we cats take over, those who have behaved wrongly will be held to account.

cat-domination1.jpg

Cats are the supreme intelligence, what makes you think they would want to give you the privilege of crapping on your lawn.

cat_toilet.jpg

if it is on the lawn it is unlikely to be cat......

If it's a cat that's doing the dirty there are two things to consider:

1: tell your neighbour of the problem, and share this advice …

Q: How can I encourage my cat to stay in my garden, so as not to upset the neighbours?

A: It is impossible to eradicate your cat's natural desire to explore, but it can be curbed somewhat by neutering. You can also encourage your cat to stay in your garden by making it as interesting as possible so he won't want to leave.
Neighbours are most often upset by cats toileting in their garden; you can encourage your cat to use your own garden by providing a good toileting site within your own boundaries. A good toileting site for a cat is somewhere with easily raked material, which is also private and secluded. Digging over an area that is enclosed by bushes and easily accessible from the house could well be enough to encourage toileting closer to home.
You can also enclose your back garden using a fencing kit; however this can be costly and is not always 100 per cent effective.

2: for you …

Q: How can I keep the neighbourhood cats out of my garden?

A: It must be remembered that cats have territory areas that do not necessarily match human boundaries and, of course, they do not realise that they are doing anything wrong by heading off next door. By law, cats are protected from physical violence, so do not hit or kick them to get them off your property.
There are many ways to deter a cat from entering your garden, some are humane, others barbaric (like electric shock fences). Cats Protection recommends a number of humane deterrents, which are far more effective than many of the products on the market. Shooing or clapping away a cat does the job in the short-term, but cats will often just learn to avoid coming into your garden when you are present, but will still come through when it is 'safe'. Another alternative is to use a short, sharp jet of cold water: this needs to be associated with being in a particular place, so should be used just as the cat jumps onto a fence or wall, or comes under the fence. In this way, the aversive event will be more likely to be linked to entering the garden rather than you being there with a water pistol! As well as doing this manually with a water pistol, you can also buy a product, such as a Scarecrow, to fire the water for you (it uses heat and movement sensors).
Another product you may wish to try is Catwatch, an ultrasound alarm triggered by the movement and body heat of an animal as it enters the protected area. The idea is that the ultrasound frequencies turn off when the cat leaves the protected area and he learns not to enter that area again or the noise will reoccur. Research has found, however, that these ultrasound products do not tend to deter cats very effectively.

To discourage cats from entering your garden:
  • Shoo them away by either shouting or clapping your hands
  • Squirt water at them using a low-powered water pistol (not a super soaker), being careful to avoid their eyes
  • Emit a short, sharp high-pitched noise, such as from a rape alarm. Electronic deterrents which are triggered by the movement of a cat and emit a high-pitched sound audible only to cats, are also available
  • Install an automatic garden spray that is triggered by an infra-red detector that locates movement
  • Erect high, close-boarded fences next to the hedges in the garden, making it difficult for cats to visit
  • Try not to leave food for birds and other wildlife in places that are easily accessible to cats and also ensure dustbin lids are secure. In addition, do not start feeding a cat if you do not want him around

To discourage cats from toileting in your garden:

• Cultivate shrubs closely to prevent cats from finding a place to dig
  • Spread chicken manure around beds and borders, taking care to use Soil Association approved pellets rather than fresh manure
  • Consider covering parts of the garden that you do not want the cat to toilet in with stone chippings, pebbles or small rocks
  • Lion dung-infused deterrent products, the planting of coleus canina and crushed egg shells have been used with varying levels of success to deter cats from toileting in flower beds
  • Hardy plants and the use of tall planters in strategically placed positions (entrances, protruding corners) can help to reduce the effects of cats marking their territory through spraying

source: http://www.cats.org.uk/cat-care/cat-care-faqs

fwiw ime slices of fresh lemon or lime have been the most effective.

advertisement

Back