advertisement

How to power a QUAD FM1 ...

Michael J

pfm Member
... without the control unit?

Having just acquired the tuner, I have no other QUAD gear (yet) and so I need to make my own power supply. Assistance will be much appreciated. :)

You can make your own PSU. It needs heater voltage and HT. Check the circuit diagram readily available on the net.

FM1 requires:

+330V @ 30mA
6.3Vdc @ 1.5A

So it's very easy to home-brew-your own. Maplin even used to do a suitable transformer of the shelf. You may need to replace the standard PSU cable/plug for your own 4-core effort though. Its all easy, though: a small 240:240VAC isolation transformer*, bridge rect/ CRC supply for the HT, and traditional AC 6 - 6.3VAC heater transformer. I've tried regulated DC and SMPS and the like for the heaters in the FM1 and it makes no difference over simply biasing the heater supply to about +30V off the HT supply - the traditional answer to valve hum.

Incidentally, the FM1 uses a lot of RC smoothing internally, something like 5kohm/8uF, which if you bypass, can be replaced by about +175-180V regulated DC if that's easier. The tuner will actually function fine down to about +130V DC direct (from experiment) with some reduction in sensitivity; it's essentially '330v'-compatible so it will run straight off the Quad 22Pre supply. Bypassing the internal RC dropper (if you have a suitable raw supply and are happy building an HV reg) means you save about 5w of wasted heat.

*SInce these things are expensive, one version I built uses two small, cheap 240:15 VAC/1A transformers back-to-back. Delivers about 310VDC under load, works just fine.

That'll probably drop a bit under load - the heaters in an FM1 draw about 1.5-1.8A.

If still high, just add a small power resistor in series with it. 0.33ohms - three 1R resistors in parallel - would knock about 0.5-0.6v off that under load - perfect :) They'd disspate about a watt in total, i.e. run rather hot.

Or I could try testing it with a good hefty current and see what happens... If it doesn't droop much ( ;) ) then I can take off a few turns to get it just right without wasting volts. :D

I need to connect a suitable load... now then, what have I got that will dump a few amps...

advertisement

Back