advertisement

How to Make a Transparent Audio Reference XL Speaker Cable

Hmm... it is interesting though, thanks Julf. So the capacitor and resistor network (near the speaker end) is a Zobel network to mitigate against the effect of the voicecoils inductance - that much is clear. What's the point of the low value inductor though? As written in the piece linked to, a similar effect could be had by extending the cable by another 8 feet,

I suppose the inductor moderately inhibits the flow of current, but why is that a useful thing?

At the risk of usurping the 'resident pedant', you can mitigate something (the effect of the voicecoil's inductance) or militate against it. The two are increasingly confused/misused.

Here endeth the whinge. :rolleyes:

Reading the above link and it's comments seems to suggest that each system requires it's own unique cable, optimised for the amplifier/loudspeaker/cable length.

Glad I went the monoblock route with only 40 cm. of speaker cable, so one thing less to obsess over.

I still maintain that a competently engineered amplifier should be able to deal with any problems.

Mine for example incorporate a Zobel network to deal with any loudspeaker capacitance (ESL's)
and both EMI and RFI filters.

Thanks for posting that Julf, I might well make some up, it'd be fun to compare with my NACA5. I'd need three pairs, & they'd have to be longer, but I can alter the inductor to suit.

At the risk of usurping the 'resident pedant', you can mitigate something (the effect of the voicecoil's inductance) or militate against it. The two are increasingly confused/misused.

Here endeth the whinge. :rolleyes:

A fair point except that, in this case, I did mean mitigate (rather than militate) - though 'against' could probably have been dropped. Presumably you have no input to give relative to the actual subject?

Thanks for posting that Julf, I might well make some up, it'd be fun to compare with my NACA5. I'd need three pairs, & they'd have to be longer, but I can alter the inductor to suit.

Why bother? The recommended 3m min of NACA5 amounts to rather more than this anyway [NACA5 - 1.3 - 1.5microHenries per metre (loop, i.e. there and back)] IOW - adding-in 2.5uH of inductance is directly comparable to making a Naim system adherent's speaker cables roughly ~1.7m longer than min reqd.*

Yes, the MIT boxes (interconnect, or speaker cables) are full of BS...

*or possibly slightly more, if the MIT inductor is also quite resistive, i. e a small-gauge wire as shown.
-I'd not pay for such shite!

Why bother? The recommended 3m min of NACA5 amounts to rather more than this anyway [NACA5 - 1.3 - 1.5microHenries per metre (loop, i.e. there and back)] IOW - adding-in 2.5uH of inductance is directly comparable to making a Naim system adherent's speaker cables roughly ~1.7m longer than min reqd.*

Yes, the MIT boxes (interconnect, or speaker cables) are full of BS...

*or possibly slightly more, if the MIT inductor is also quite resistive, i. e a small-gauge wire as shown.
-I'd not pay for such shite!
OK Martin, I shall heed your excellent advice.

I wonder how long it will be before expensive cables come with a box at both ends, one containing an amplifier and the other a speaker, shouldn't add much to the cost.

Thanks for posting this Julf.

On the same site, I found these instructions for making some awesome speakers from tin cans ...

FPFVW3VF2FRVCKQ.MEDIUM.jpg

... that I have been told are identical* to Magico S1s, at a fraction of the price. Those stupid audiophools!

S1_stand_456.jpg

* Well, they do look a bit different. But when I have my eyes closed they sound just the same so ... science, huh?

Ross, possibly worth noting that the Instructable article linked doesn't make any such claim.

Or are you being deliberately disingenuous? In which case you'd not want to do so.

I think Ross is suggesting that the article over simplifies the design of the Transparent cables. However, it's difficult to deny the evidence of the pictures showing disassembled cables and X-rays.

I think Ross is suggesting that the article over simplifies the design of the Transparent cables. However, it's difficult to deny the evidence of the pictures showing disassembled cables and X-rays.
No, I have no idea what's in the Transparent Cables. I'm just making fun of Julf.

advertisement

Back