advertisement

how to get rid of ads

zippy

pfm Member
For the last week or so, whenever I log onto PinkFish, I get a big ad taking up nearly half a page for ladies sexy clothing.
I have several times clicked on the AdChoices button and told it I don't want those ads, but they're still there.

I could of course install an ad blocker, but PinkFish seems to be the only site that I have this problem with, so perhaps there is a way to stop these particular ads.

.. and no, to the best of my knowledge I haven't been browsing any of 'that sort' of sites intentionally!

The ads on my page are larger than they have been. They are typically items I've recently googled.
Ads are easy enough to ignore on this site and of course provide vital revenue.

Get a good blocker - ublock origin seems decent - and pick & choose what you block. That way you can control it somewhat and leave the less intrusive ad spaces active on sites like PFM.

I was just talking to someone about ads, and we agreed that more and more sites have gone so far with it there's not much choice but to go scorched-earth and block everything you can. Between autoplay videos and the little floating video windows that scroll-follow pages, and so many sites loading upwards of 40 commerce trackers per visit ... it's gone way over the top.

The adverts pay for this site to a large degree. An ad at the top of the page seems a small price to pay for all the pleasure and Brexit news a person could wish for.

I don't mind the adverts - I get the need for them but when it fills up half the screen of my laptop it takes the p*ss a bit.

The adverts pay for this site to a large degree. An ad at the top of the page seems a small price to pay for all the pleasure and Brexit news a person could wish for.
To an extent, yes, and I put up with most, but would be nice if you can block specific irrelevant ads - I'm really not interested in sexy womans clothes..

I'm just wondering what happens if I open the site via Edge rather than Chrome.
(just tried it and I got an ad for some HDTV device - that one's fine by me)

Hooray - the women have gone away and replaced by the Bentley ad - much more suitable (although I'm not likely to buy one of those either )

I use an ad-blocker, disabled for pfm, and the thing that hacks me off is websites that prevent access if you ad-block. Usually, they’re ones I’ll visit very occasionally - most often following a link from here - so I most often just back out. But if I actually want to view the site, I check their cookie and privacy policies out. If they look OK, then I’ll think about whitelisting them. My whitelist hasn’t got any bigger yet...

I try to keep the ads to a reasonable size and I think they are less intrusive than most of my competition (WigWam, AoS etc). Obviously some sites e.g. Steve Hoffman, Naim etc run to a different model, but pfm clearly needs to be commercially viable. Also remember my Trade Account price is exceptionally low, and I try to keep it so to attract new business, give newbies a helping hand etc. WigWam charges best part of 10x the amount and is I think a smaller site these days!

The current Google Ads, Viglink, Trade Accounts and donations button keeps my head above water, so I’m reluctant to change anything too much!

I think the ads are fine, make me laugh sometimes what they come up with , like digger hire or something esoteric

I have the Google Adsense set to ‘auto’ where it will scale to available screen area, so it depends on the size of the window, pixel resolution etc. I deliberately keep it limited to just the top and bottom of the screen despite the fact I could at least double revenue by putting it in more intrusive areas (e.g. within thread content as so many sites do where you effectively get an ad halfway down a thread display). FWIW since accepting the ‘auto’ scaling feature (about a year ago, it is nothing new) it is generating a lot more revenue, which compensates for a decline in the outlink affiliation which seems to have taken a bit of a dive of late. I can’t afford to make it any less intrusive anyway unless I put the user classified area onto a paid subscription basis, which I really don’t want to do. I do need to make a living!

PS FWIW I don’t find it intrusive at all, I think pfm is a clean looking site compared to the vast majority these days, e.g. I can barely visit The Independent without my browser crashing it is so ad-laden.

PS FWIW I don’t find it intrusive at all, I think pfm is a clean looking site compared to the vast majority these days, e.g. I can barely visit The Independent without my browser crashing it is so ad-laden.
I agree, quickly scrolled past.Occasionally something worth a look, so all good AFAIC.

Agree completely about the Indy site. It's the reason I installed an ad-blocker in the first place on the desktop. Can't view it on the ageing iPad mini - constant crashes and 'an unexpected problem so the page was reloaded' banners.

I don't mind the adverts - I get the need for them but when it fills up half the screen of my laptop it takes the p*ss a bit.

One banner at the top & bottom of the page with 14 posts between them is hardly half a page.

The adverts I see are top & bottom of the screen only and tbh I hardly notice them.

If having adverts pays for the site that’s great. Its a small price to pay.

Apparently I need a 2013 Kubota 4wd tractor and some raw organic black sesame tahini.

Not sure what I've been searching for to decide that but hey.

advertisement

Back